Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2015 9:59:11 AM EDT
I know there is a mag limit in CA. How do you guys cope with it? Wondering if epoxy in between a mag block and floor plate on a pmag is enough for permanent?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#1]
The laws here do not specify a technology/technique for limiting the capacity, just that the magazine must not be capable of holding more than 10 rounds.  I've seen rivets, punches, glued-in blocks,... anything that's permanent.

Many/most/all the people I know who have high cap mags are leaving them that way.  I don't know anyone who reduces the capacity of their magazines.  They are legal to own, possess and use, as long as you owned them before the law took effect.

If I were buying new magazines, I would buy ones that are factory modified to limit capacity.  Those work perfectly well.

Although I don't own this, this is my favorite "bullet button" gizmo. to help cope.

Link to Thordsen Custom

Thordsen Mag Lock Gizmo - see the video at this link
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:47:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I just drilled a 1/8 hole through the floor plate and mag then installed a roll pin. Gtg and easy to knock the roll pin out and go back to a hi cap when in a free state.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just drilled a 1/8 hole through the floor plate and mag then installed a roll pin. Gtg and easy to knock the roll pin out and go back to a hi cap when in a free state.
View Quote

Which means it very likely does not meet the permanence requirement, especially if it's designed to be "easy" to undo.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Which means it very likely does not meet the permanence requirement, especially if it's designed to be "easy" to undo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really. Since it hasn't been defined no one can say for sure. But the way I look at it is:

A) Magazine parts are legal, intent isn't a crime.

B) You assemble the parts into a magazine that will always accept 10 rounds or less when loaded is legal.

C) You can disassemble the magazine and have parts again and be perfectly legal.

If during disassembly you had a functioning mag that could hold greater than 10 rounds you would be in trouble.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Honestly nothing is permanent - ever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think a roll pin which is "easy to knock" out for the purpose of quickly converting the capacity of the magazine back and forth between a reduced and normal capacity could pass the most basic of sniff tests. But, hey, if Climbhigher23 wants to spend his money to see whether such a method will survive in court, he's more than free to do so. I wouldn't recommend his method to anyone looking to not become a test case.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:18:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Thanks for the link
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't think a roll pin which is "easy to knock" out for the purpose of quickly converting the capacity of the magazine back and forth between a reduced and normal capacity could pass the most basic of sniff tests. But, hey, if Climbhigher23 wants to spend his money to see whether such a method will survive in court, he's more than free to do so. I wouldn't recommend his method to anyone looking to not become a test case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did this because the 10/20 rd mags I bought from my lgs were pinned the same way. Thordsen customs does the exact same thing.

Eta: Thordsen
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Did this because the 10/20 rd mags I bought from my lgs were pinned the same way. Thordsen customs does the exact same thing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless when they state their magazines are "permanently block" by mag block and "blind pin" they mean a roll pin which is designed to be easily removed and modify the capacity back and forth from reduced capacity to normal capacity, then no, they don't do the exact same thing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 11:19:53 PM EDT
[#11]
So, do you feel a bonded-in pin or a pin covered with a tamper-evident/tamper-resistant cover would pass muster?
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 2:24:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So, do you feel a bonded-in pin or a pin covered with a tamper-evident/tamper-resistant cover would pass muster?
View Quote

Bonded-in pin (I'm presuming like by epoxy) is more along the guidelines the DOJ gave years back when they attempted to define permanence in relations to what constitutes a fixed magazine. A tamper-evident seal appears to have nothing to do with preventing the ready conversion between a reduced and normal capacity magazine, it's just a potential signal that such a modification has occurred and is after the fact.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 2:50:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Unless when they state their magazines are "permanently block" by mag block and "blind pin" they mean a roll pin which is designed to be easily removed and modify the capacity back and forth from reduced capacity to normal capacity, then no, they don't do the exact same thing.
View Quote

Thordsen Customs Compliant Limited Capacity Mag

Here is the mag purchased from the link above which is CA compliant.

Here are 3 different mags. The one from Thordsen Customs pictured above. One from a lgs which is assuredly CA compliant and one I blocked and pinned myself in the exact same manner as the other two.

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#14]
The round projection on the front of the baseplate...is that to activate the bullet button?

Nice
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The round projection on the front of the baseplate...is that to activate the bullet button?

Nice
View Quote

Link
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nice
View Quote

Yessir
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn186/Climbhigher23/Mobile%20Uploads/7E341388-2B20-4008-AB49-51785E99BE4E_zpsum4yr85a.jpg

Here are 3 different mags. The one from Thordsen Customs pictured above. One from a lgs which is assuredly CA compliant and one I blocked and pinned myself in the exact same manner as the other two.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn186/Climbhigher23/Mobile%20Uploads/E85AC5CF-0B5C-4085-9EEA-47ECA05CABF4_zpsoemsgrmb.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn186/Climbhigher23/Mobile%20Uploads/7E341388-2B20-4008-AB49-51785E99BE4E_zpsum4yr85a.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn186/Climbhigher23/Mobile%20Uploads/E85AC5CF-0B5C-4085-9EEA-47ECA05CABF4_zpsoemsgrmb.jpg

Is it blind pinned (not drilled through the other side) or not?
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yessir
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice

Yessir

This is what I like about them.  There's no need for any other "tool", just use a detached magazine as the "tool".  

You can buy replacement Ranger floor plates with the tool pre-installed.

You can buy Magpuls with the tool pre-installed, as well.

They also sell the pins as part of a kit to retrofit your existing magazines.  Link to kit

The little mechanism they designed is also very nice.  It is an ambidextrous bullet button which allows you to eject the magazine from either side (in case of injury) with a minimum of motions (easier) and without dismounting the rifle (faster).  

They sell some inexpensive drill jigs to ensure a professional installation by the average Joe (like me).  Amortize the cost across a few installations (or even one) and it's a trivial cost considering the advantages gained.  Link to drill jig

All that and it's sold at a fairly low price.

Go to the link I posted above and watch the video.  I think you'll like the functionality.

It seems I am a schill for Thordsen.  I am not.  I just think their innovations by this Callifornia-based company deserve some "air time" given the very ass backwards, anti-gun laws in this State.

I think the OP from NJ and the guys behind the red curtain in NY might be interested.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I know there is a mag limit in CA. How do you guys cope with it? Wondering if epoxy in between a mag block and floor plate on a pmag is enough for permanent?
View Quote

If it is essential that the mags in question must be "permanently" fixed to accept 10 rounds, epoxy should be fine. As far as coping, I own some 10 round mags, anything and everything else is nobody's business, including "the man."
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have hundreds of pre-ban magazines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know there is a mag limit in CA. How do you guys cope with it?

I have hundreds of pre-ban magazines.

We can be friends.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top