Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2015 2:23:24 AM EDT
https://www.firearmspolicy.org/news/fpc/alert-retired-cops-get-special-treatment-back-in-calif-senate-bill-707-amendment/

So i got this is my email today.

ALERT: Retired cops get special treatment back in Calif. Senate Bill 707 amendment

posted on May 5, 2015 in FPC News

As predicted, Senator Lois Wolk has caved to pressure brought by lobbyists for numerous law enforcement associations. Senate Bill 707 was amended to restore the “Gun-Free School Zone Act” exemption for retired police officers, while maintaining its attack on the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding carry licensees.

The peace officer groups told Sen. Wolk and members of the Senate’s Public Safety and Appropriations Committees that they would support the anti-gun bill as long as it only affected law-abiding people, like carry licensees.

Firearms Policy Coalition has been and remains strongly opposed to SB 707, especially in a form that would criminalize law-abiding people while giving special favors to retired peace officers. In our recent letter of opposition sent to the Appropriations Committee, we said that “[b]y treating those who hold a valid license to carry a firearm different from retired peace officers authorized to carry a concealed or loaded firearm, the bill would violate the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution….And if SB 707 is enacted in a form that treats retired peace officers differently than those licensed to carry by county sheriffs and municipal police chiefs, we will immediately sue the State in federal court, and we will win—costing State taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars (or more).”

FPC encourages all California gun owners to contact the Senate and express their opposition to the unconstitutional Senate Bill 707.
View Quote

Now call me crazy...... I think a successful lawsuit would sting a bit more than attempt after failed attempt to pass good laws or block bad ones.

I really think legislating bulls hit laws out of existence is how every pro gun group should be focused.

Edit : October 10 2015

As if the last post didn't say it already
SACRAMENTO – Today, Governor Brown signed into law Senate Bill 707, prohibiting gun owners issued a license by their local police chief or sheriff from carrying handguns for self-defense on California school grounds. It also subjects those with a carry permit , issued only after passing a strict, fingerprint-based background check and agency-approved training course, harsh new criminal liability for merely possessing a single round of ammunition on the grounds of any school or college campus, even if they don’t also possess a firearm.

Brandon Combs, the President of Firearms Policy Coalition, stated, “This is not just an attack on our Second Amendment rights, it is an attack on the most vulnerable in our society. Victims of domestic violence and stalking, judges, prosecutors, and public defenders who have a carry license will now have to leave their registered self-defense handguns at home when picking up their children at school, leaving them without the necessary protection from violent criminals.”

As introduced in February, SB 707 would have broadly eliminated carry on campus for virtually everyone except on-duty police or others specifically authorized to assist in an emergency. But the powerful law enforcement lobby immediately reacted to the gun control bill by offering their full support — in exchange for preservation of existing exemptions for law enforcement retirees. They later cut deals to add in even more special exemptions, including for retired police reservists. Combs believes that this is blatantly unconstitutional.

“The Ninth Circuit decided well over a decade ago that retired police officers are no different than retired plumbers for the purposes of gun laws,” explained Combs. The 2002 Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals decision striking down a California law that gave retired law enforcement officers special exemptions from the Assault Weapons Control Act was reinforced in a 2010 legal opinion issued by then-Attorney General Jerry Brown.

In the opinion, Brown explained that “Silveira teaches that it is….a peace officer’s role as a law enforcement agent that provides a rational basis for distinguishing between a peace officer and a private citizen for purposes of possessing and using assault weapons. A retired officer is not authorized to engage in law enforcement activities.”

Additionally, Firearms Policy Coalition members and supporters submitted over 40,000 letters to the Governor’s office urging a veto of SB 707.

Combs concluded, “It is unfortunate that the Governor has ignored the will of his constituents, common sense, and his own legal opinion. We will now focus on preparing the lawsuit we promised we would file against this unconstitutional law.”

Gun owners who wish to support the SB 707 litigation can donate at https://www.firearmspolicy.org/california/sb707.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw that, been sending out letters to my local officials This bill needs to be stopped.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I too feel that this is discriminatory and I am a retired LEO.  One thing I have come to know is that most CCW holders in this State

are gun guys.  LE......not so much.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:37:36 PM EDT
[#3]
You guys have fun with all this.  I'm getting the hell out of this state.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been following and writing on this one for a while. It would really make my life difficult, as a student with a permit.

I hope it doesn't pass, but I suspect the long-term advantage of it being struck down by lawsuit would be more useful. That said, I really don't want it to pass.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 3:18:38 AM EDT
[#5]
FPC is trying to fight this.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 12:02:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Donated to FPC this morning. They have been doing a good job getting the word out on this stuff.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anohter clear violation of the United States of America's 14th Amendment to the Constitution.
View Quote

The demoncraps in Sacramento don't care.  They will pass it anyways and let the courts sort it out.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Did anyone notice that they amended SB707 to include ammo now? Now even a single round left in the car in the parking lot would result in some serious legal trouble.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did anyone notice that they amended SB707 to include ammo now? Now even a single round left in the car in the parking lot would result in some serious legal trouble.
View Quote

Saw that, they are out of control with this shit. Hopefully Jerry will remember the last bill that exempted retired police that got struck down and will veto this.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:26:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Saw that, they are out of control with this shit. Hopefully Jerry will remember the last bill that exempted retired police that got struck down and will veto this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would expect to, but I feel very uncomfortable trusting my freedom to Gov Moonbeam.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would expect to, but I feel very uncomfortable trusting my freedom to Gov Moonbeam.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. And I'm also glad I graduated last semester...
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Just an update. SB 707 is in the appr committee's suspense file. They aren't scheduled to meet until the 29th (the deadline to pass it from the committee is the 28th). Expect a surprise hearing to ram it through.

It'd be nice if it died on Friday.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#14]
SB 707 passed and is on its way to Gov. Browns desk, please send him a letter asking him to VETO SB 707 and SB 347 as well. If SB 347 passes taking a single round of ammunition on to school grounds will result in a 10 year ban from owning firearms.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Good article on it from huffington post of all places.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dennis-santiago/californias-sb-707-gun-co_b_8120376.html
View Quote
Read that. It's a great breakdown of why this can't stand on equal protection. It didn't cover the idiocy of getting rid of an exemption that has existed 20 years and resulted in zero crime, but then it's still pretty good considering the source.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:07:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Bump to top. In light of what happened today, I sent the Governor an email. I never want to be stuck in a dark room, waiting to die at the whim of a madman, with no way to effectively fight back.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Bump to top. In light of what happened today, I sent the Governor an email. I never want to be stuck in a dark room, waiting to die at the whim of a madman, with no way to effectively fight back.
View Quote

Good call. I sent him one last week but I will send one again today.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Well some good news, SB347 was vetoed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#21]
winning a bit at a time. Now if we had some laws coming out on our side that protected our rights state wise, that would be something.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, Brown went and signed SB707 today. I guess now we sue the state, I'm figuring best case is we win and both us and retired cops wont be able to carry on campus.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Moonbeam must not have noticed just how well the GFZ worked in Umpqua Community College.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Moonbeam must not have noticed just how well the GFZ worked in Umpqua Community College.  
View Quote

It's hard for him to notice anything when his head is up his a$$,
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#26]
FPC looks to be doing a lawsuit already. Gave them some more money.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#27]
My local Sheriff sent me a letter about 707 saying I can't carry a gun on campus. Sheriff is pro gun. State, not so much.

These law makers are out of control.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top