Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2015 12:23:54 PM EDT
Just curious to see if any other gun nuts in SoCal are on here that enjoy salt water fishing.  Ive read that only 2% of the population in Cali purchased fishing licenses this year so numbers seem to be slim.

Anyways my boat is currently having the lower unit rebuilt to replace some leaking seals and I am also stuck at work so im going through withdrawls and debating on if I want to hop on a cattleboat tomorrow...

BENDO!  My first fight with a Yellowtail.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I personally like Barracuda.  I like my Penn 750 SS on a medium rod.  I prefer a flashing lure tied with a short length of wire leader.  This way, after I release them (not the best eating fish, but fun to fight) I don't have to retie after cutting off they abraded section of mono near the hook.

Eating wise, I try to stay away from bottom fish in the local waters.  Top feeders are plentiful in and around the kelp beds I like to fish, so bring home something good to eat is generally a pretty sure bet.  But, it is call fishing, not catching.

Of late, last 5 or six years, I've gotten into fishing from a kayak.  It lets me get right into the kelp, and there are plenty of places I can carry it down to.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I should probably sell my boat and buy a Yak.  My boat enables me to burn way to much gas running from spot to spot chasing birds and bait.  Those 30 gallon days are not cheap.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#3]
The yellows are already hot this year. I might be going out to San Clemente this weekend, depending on the weather. Some boats were catching white sea bass at Anacapa too.

There might be a storm coming in Thursday/Friday which would mess things up a little.

This year might be a good one, warm water and lots of exotics heading to local waters.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The yellows are already hot this year. I might be going out to San Clemente this weekend, depending on the weather. Some boats were catching white sea bass at Anacapa too.

There might be a storm coming in Thursday/Friday which would mess things up a little.

This year might be a good one, warm water and lots of exotics heading to local waters.
View Quote

Yup.  I am bumming a ride to Catalina tomorrow.  Gonna try and catch some fire cracker Yellow Tails.  They are running 10 to 12 pounds there right now.  We were thinking about Clemente but it would be a $240 round trip minimum so we decided to run to Cat and hit the local spots on the way.  

I got this guy in early Jan only 9 miles from LA harbor,

and this one last month along with a ton of huge sheepies at Santa Barbra Island,
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yup.  I am bumming a ride to Catalina tomorrow.  Gonna try and catch some fire cracker Yellow Tails.  They are running 10 to 12 pounds there right now.  We were thinking about Clemente but it would be a $240 round trip minimum so we decided to run to Cat and hit the local spots on the way.  

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o729/Ltskidmark/a2082955a0751bdce575660e2cfb7750_zpseca1af15.jpg

and this one last month along with a ton of huge sheepies at Santa Barbra Island,
http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o729/Ltskidmark/2a109b49e1d649b2c385e1ff30ebda5f_zpsnwmoiihg.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o729/Ltskidmark/a2082955a0751bdce575660e2cfb7750_zpseca1af15.jpg

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o729/Ltskidmark/2a109b49e1d649b2c385e1ff30ebda5f_zpsnwmoiihg.jpg

Nice sheephead! We got one like that at SB island last autumn but we shot it, not caught on a rod. We did hook a bunch of smaller female Sheepheads, Reds, Johnny bass and Boccaccios.
Post your catch for Catalina, we haven't decided yet on which island but if Catalina is going off too that would save about an extra 1 hour drive.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like fun.
Damn Kalif, keep jacking up the fishing license fees, I haven't bought one in 3 years.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Catalina sucked for me.  We went to the wrong end of the island.  Apparantly up by Eagle Rock was Yellow Tail city.  Only got a few Calico's and Rock fish.  By 2PM the wind was up and our drift was 4knots.  Couldnt find the bottom with 12 ounces of lead.   Tried fishing close to shore and the bite was good but with the wind it was pretty hairy with all of the barely submerged rocks and shit.   The following seas heading home were pretty rough as well.  Maintaining any reasonible speed while trying to stay dry was impossible.  Still home in 1 hour wet is better than home in 3 hours dry.  

We caught fish and I wasnt at home playing Xbox so over a great day
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#8]
We ended still going to San Clemente on Friday but the weekend was blown out. The only fish that we caught were some really big Calicos Friday night when we got there. 21"+ Tried to dive and fish on Saturday but it was really choppy and windy. Saw some yellowtails while diving but they all kept their distance. We were the only boat left on Sunday.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Cool.  A friend went to SCI friday and caught a few YT and sheephead.   Dudes is the fish whisper'er though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:45:00 AM EDT
[#10]
There are times I miss SoCal...this is one of them
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 6:42:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looks like fun.
Damn Kalif, keep jacking up the fishing license fees, I haven't bought one in 3 years.
View Quote

Fees may be going up, but at least they are used to maintain/improve the fishery.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top