Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2015 5:52:26 PM EDT
I'm not sure where to post this so I'll start here. Is it legal for me to ship a pre-ban M16A1 complete upper to the state of California? California has always been public enemy # 1 when it comes to firearm laws. I just want to be sure before I seal the deal I'm not breaking any laws. Or can anyone direct me to a link showing what I can/can't ship to CA. It's pre September 1994 for sure. But obviously has bayonet lug and flash hider which I remember made this rifle so evil. Thx.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's what I do know - they keep updating the law to cover as many rifle names and types as possible.  The list has them banned specifically by name so if you can find a mfg that is not covered under one of the specfiics I think you can get an ar in that way.  Again, I'm probably only covering like 40% of what's involved.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you selling this or sending it to a friend?

If selling, I wouldn't worry about it. Let the buyer figure out what is legal and what isn't. I'm personally not a fan of private sellers playing Big Brother and refusing to sell things to certain states.

Also, you are not sending an AR-15 and you are not sending a rifle or any firearm. It's just an upper.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm not sure where to post this so I'll start here. Is it legal for me to ship a pre-ban M16A1 complete upper to the state of California? California has always been public enemy # 1 when it comes to firearm laws. I just want to be sure before I seal the deal I'm not breaking any laws. Or can anyone direct me to a link showing what I can/can't ship to CA. It's pre September 1994 for sure. But obviously has bayonet lug and flash hider which I remember made this rifle so evil. Thx.
View Quote

calguns forum is a plethora of knowledge but yes. An upper is completely legal. California can have AOW, Pistol and Rifle AR's

Good to go
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Coming from California (and thankfully not living in the state anymore), and reading through the over 100 pages of regulations that goes with it, it's honestly not a major deal to ship an upper into the state, because it is not considered a firearm. Now if you had a full rifle or a lower, that's an entirely different story. Now if I remember correctly depending on whether you're getting it from the manufacturer or another private individual it will either go to a local FFL dealer or to your front door. You sign a couple forms, maybe pay a small charge to the dealer, and you're good to go.

In short (from when I last read the legislation back in late 2014), as long as its not a lower receiver, complete rifle, or a magazine larger than 10 rounds (and ammunition depending on where you live) you can literally just buy everything else online and ship it to your front door and its perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I appreciate this. No, it's just a complete upper. No lower receiver, no magazines over 10rds etc. Just an original unmolested Colt SP1 assembled upper with AR15 BCG, charging handle, hand guards, barrel and flash hider. I hope deal goes through now. Thx!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here's what I do know - they keep updating the law to cover as many rifle names and types as possible.  The list has them banned specifically by name so if you can find a mfg that is not covered under one of the specfiics I think you can get an ar in that way.  Again, I'm probably only covering like 40% of what's involved.
View Quote

You really dont know that much so maybe you shouldnt be the first to respond.

The named list dates back to 89 and they never added anything to it.  That is the entire reason why "off list lowers" became an issue and a race back around 2005-2008.  People thought the AG would add them to the list and another registration window would open.

Thing is they didnt and they ARE NOT going to add anything to the list.  AG figured out the game that was being played and didnt want to allow people to register new "assault weapons" which would likely allow people to remove their bullet button configs and go full baby killing black rifle detachable mag of doom.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I appreciate this. No, it's just a complete upper. No lower receiver, no magazines over 10rds etc. Just an original unmolested Colt SP1 assembled upper with AR15 BCG, charging handle, hand guards, barrel and flash hider. I hope deal goes through now. Thx!
View Quote

Uppers are not listed.

A M16 bolt carrier should make zero difference, what a buyer does with the lower and what final configuration they build matters.

Could be buyer is a lawful owner of a pre2000 registered "assault weapon",  could be he has a legal 10rnd bullet button build, could be a single shot.   Hell he could buy it and remove features to do a featureless build.

Upper is legal.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:55:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The named list dates back to 89 and they never added anything to it.  That is the entire reason why "off list lowers" became an issue and a race back around 2005-2008.  People thought the AG would add them to the list and another registration window would open.

Thing is they didnt and they ARE NOT going to add anything to the list.  AG figured out the game that was being played and didnt want to allow people to register new "assault weapons" which would likely allow people to remove their bullet button configs and go full baby killing black rifle detachable mag of doom.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3rd/last edition in 2001.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:27:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of that matters though when the reference was being made to the named list.

The confounded mess that is the Ca AW laws is retarded.  89 ban, 99/00 ban, decisions and waiting to 2001 on other shit.   Lawsuits like Harrot/Kings Co  and with off list guns not configured as AWs that nearly got added by name.

In the end, all that matters is that an upper assembly by itself is a legal part.   Despite the fact that shitty companies like Cheaper Than Dirt and Sportsmans Suck/Guide refuse to ship so much as a replacement pistol grip into the state.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#11]
nm.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#12]
What is an M16 upper anyway?

I've got both M16's and AR15's and don't know the difference.

Are you talking about the bolt carrier?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#13]
When someone says a complete upper, to me, that means, upper receiver with barrel assembly, bolt carrier, bolt, charging handle,... all that stuff, as in,...slap it on a lower and go shooting.

M16, as in machine gun?  Are there any issues about the bolt carrier?  Are full-auto bolt carriers different than semi-auto?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Are full-auto bolt carriers different than semi-auto?
View Quote

Yes, but there is no law that regulates them that I know of.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:25:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Completely wrong - you're spreading fear, uncertainty, and doubt needlessly. You don't know what you're talking about and the bullshit advice above just proves it.

There are no mentions of an upper in any of the regulations short of the .50 BMG (only) ban.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Completely wrong - you're spreading fear, uncertainty, and doubt needlessly. You don't know what you're talking about and the bullshit advice above just proves it.

There are no mentions of an upper in any of the regulations short of the .50 BMG (only) ban.

This^

Also that list for lowers does not keep getting updated, it has not been updated in at least 8 years and the ability to add something to the list of banned lowers was closed with AB 2728.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top