Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2015 6:45:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Walnut creek is a great place to live , it's only about a hour from San Francisco during morning traffic .

Going back in the afternoon is a different story.  It could take hours.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Emeryville has some great areas and most of it is newer construction, Berkeley would be another viable option.  Walnut Creek is fantastic and has a popular downtown area (ie shops, restaurants). Commute wise WC is only about a 30 min ride on BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) to the city.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope you understand the traffic nightmare your about to encounter. Think about the worst traffic jam you can, then times it by 10 and I wish I was kidding.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Walnut Creek and working south of San Francisco are non-starters.    Walnut Creek to San Francisco might work if BART stop in the City are close enough.

There might be some spots down near Hayward that might possibly be a fit, but that would probably require commuting over one of the south bay bridges, and I don't have any idea how feasible that might be.  There are commuter trains from the San Jose area in to San Francisco, but the impression I have is that nice areas around there are pretty expensive housing wise.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Depending on your financial situation you could probably check out Marin County. Very nice area, but pricey, even for the bay area. It's just across the Golden Gate bridge

Across the bay bridge into the East Bay you have Pinole and Hercules which are generally pretty decent, as are El Sobrante and El Cerrito. All four of those are between 15-20 minutes north of "the maze" of freeways right at Oakland/Emeryville where the Bay Bridge ends.

Richmond hills, Point Richmond and Marina Bay all have some pretty nice places, but fuck literally anywhere else in that city. It's gotten better in the past five years, but it's still mostly hood. Also just about 15-20 minutes north of the maze.

I don't really know anything about living in the San Francisco Peninsula or South Bay area.

I've never had to commute into SF for work, but I think the general consensus about it is "it's sucks big floppy donkey dick and I fucking hate it."
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#7]
If you look into Marin, I would also look into Petaluma. Ya it's even farther away, but there are commuter buses that make the trip non-stop so it's not horrible. I used to just put my headphones in or read a book. If you look into Marin or Petaluma check into them, they will save you money and stress.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I live WAY out from San Francisco. Out in Concord. Its about 50 minutes into the city when taking Bart. Driving? Fuuuck that. No chance. I walk to bart, take bart into the city (A few stops in), then walk to work.

Berkeley is nice and there are nice plces in Oakland. My manager has a house there, its quite nice. Oakland is starting to get cleaned up because of transplants from SF being pushed out due to housing prices. I dont know specifics though, but as a general statement yes there are nice places in Oakland.

Walnut creek is quite nice as well. Theres also Lafayette which is nice. If you can check and see if Bart is an option...ie...Is your office going to be within walking distance of a bart station.

All that said, I wouldnt live in East Bay and work in South (Thinking of your wife).
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
... I was looking at possibly transferring to the to San Francisco/Oakland area with my agency for 3-5 years before heading back to DC.
View Quote

While this is a long time to be in an area, have you considered the option of renting or leasing a place, as opposed to buying?

Can you be more specific about where you need to go to for work?  As you have heard, commuting is problematic and time consuming.  Commuting to and working in San Francisco can be quite different than commuting to and working in Oakland - they are on opposite sides of the Bay.

You're married but are there any kids, now or soon (inside the 3-5 year window)?  This affects the size of the place you are looking for and whether the schools in the area are important to you.  3 to 5  years is a long time in the life of a kid/student.  You WANT good schools.

Do you know Zillow.com?  Use it to find accommodations in your price range.  What is your price range?

I know this is a lot of personal information, and I do not plan to do the search for you, but these are issues YOU need to define for yourself and plug into Zillow.com.  

Do you get any sort of housing allowance from your employer, or does the salary account for the high cost of housing?  If you don't know for sure, this would be something to ask about.

Philosophy - living close to where you work saves you hours per day, every day.  It reduces stress, too, and there are real cost avoidance (cash) for living close to where you work - wear and tear on the car, less gasoline.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:30:14 AM EDT
[#10]
If I needed to work in SF proper I wouldn't consider anything farther north than Novato - and that's pushing it. Novato Narrows on 101 and the south end of Petaluma are a disaster.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 2:57:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I love how everyone says that L.A. is gridlock.

The 880 Corridor in the East Bay is the only place where I can routinely conduct Chinese fire drills.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:22:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love how everyone says that L.A. is gridlock.

The 880 Corridor in the East Bay is the only place where I can routinely conduct Chinese fire drills.
View Quote

Both have horrible traffic. BTDT
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Redwood City, catch CalTrain into the city and you can be there in 30 minutes assuming someone does not jump in front of a train or you don't mind standing. Anyways I live in RWC and work next to HP, takes me around 30 minutes to get to work(4mi fwy, 4mi city road at 35/45mph speed limit) and once you are over the initial shock the drive is actually not to bad. If your wife ends up landing the right job many companies have commuter shuttles(tour buses with wifi) that pick up around the bay and will drive you to work.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Castro in san fran. If you dont mind the homos.... Aside from being overly flamboyant; the gays dont bother a soul. Pretty safe area, and if your worried about ever having a problem, keep a whistle around your neck. Blow that wistle and you will have 20-50 gays rackng to the sound of the distress wistle ready to stomp somebodys head in for you.
I know california is the land of fruits and nuts LMAO, but they gays arent bad people,  most of them are alright folks.
For the record, i dont live out there. Use to visit inlaws/their fam frequently though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Lafayette, Moraga and Orinda (Lamorinda) is about as safe an area in the Bay as it gets.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lafayette, Moraga and Orinda (Lamorinda) is about as safe an area in the Bay as it gets.
View Quote

That's  libtard central.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's  libtard central.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's  libtard central.

Then entire 9 county Bay Area is libtard central..............  And I live here
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's  libtard central.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's  libtard central.

Well, Lafayette was called Centerville for a while.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's  libtard central.

I remember but that was 20 years ago.  

Still a nice place tho.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Still a nice place tho.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's  libtard central.

Still a nice place tho.

More like 120 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

More like 120 years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's  libtard central.

Still a nice place tho.

More like 120 years ago.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:50:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Oakland rent prices are getting up there also.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 3:12:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Alameda has always been ideal-an island city right smack in the middle of the Bay Area.  But buying could be real pricey. Some areas in Daly City, Pacifica, South San Fran, Brisbane and San Bruno can still be affordable-again depends if you're renting or buying....
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone notice the OP has not been back to repost and answer questions?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:23:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Pleasant Hill?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:19:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Lots of good info.  I live in Livermore.  I like it here.

Livermore, Pleasanton, Dublin, San Ramon, Danville, Walnut Creek, Lafayette, Orinda and Moraga are all nice and safe but can be pricey.  Castro Valley used to be a nice quiet community, now I'm not so sure.  It borders Hayward which didn't use to be a problem but now, well, no, I wouldn't recommend a move there.

The commute to Oakland from the tri valley area isn't too bad.  BART service is decent but if the job isn't near a station I would drive, especially if the job provides a car/parking.

Commuting to and from SF is a bitch.  BART is the way to go if at all possible.  Driving into the city on a weekday morning is miserable.  The silicon valley/ south bay from the tri valley is a lengthy commute.  But lots of people do it every day.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
 Driving into the city on a weekday morning is miserable.  
View Quote

I just want to point this out again. Its one thing to say "Oh traffic sucks" and dismiss it, but if you are outside the sensible Bart range....ie....You cant really use Bart, you'll have that miserable drive twice a day, 5 days a week. My point here is it would be well worth your time to seriously take this into account when looking for a place to live. I would rather live slightly further out and be able to use Bart than live closer to work and have to drive.

Yes, its that bad. I'm fortunate in that I've never had to drive it (Always been by Bart), but man I'd need Xanax if I had to do that drive.....Or a shotgun.......
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#29]
How about driving to a BART station and doing "Park & Ride"?
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 7:45:49 AM EDT
[#30]
I've lived in the Walnut Creek area for 30+ years, Mountain View for a few years (Silicon Valley) and have commuted to San Francisco 3 years out of the total.

You say you will work in Oakland or SF, and if so, Walnut Creek and Lamorinda are a good choice because of easy BART access. But that area is not cheap, so if you have one income, you might look at Pleasant Hill.

But you say your wife may work in Silicon Valley?

If so, forget Walnut Creek and Lamorinda and look at San Mateo and nearby. You can't live in Central Contra Costa County and commute to the South Bay. Well, you can, but you will want to kill yourself after a month. And life on the Peninsula is almost impossible on one income, unless it's one really good income.

You are staying 3-5 years? Not planning on having kids? Because if you plan to have kids here schools need to be taken into consideration, and that changes everything.

You might look at Belmont too. Lot's of tech people live there and commute south and north because it's centralized. Lots of rentals available.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:11:41 AM EDT
[#31]
If you're working in the federal buildings in Oakland, take a look at Rockridge, Piedmont, or Montclair.  Very short commute and relatively safe.   Lots of libtard BS but it can't be worse than DC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top