Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2015 10:59:07 PM EDT
Hi everyone,

I am looking to either buy or build an AR15 as a first rifle. I am leaning more towards building, but the California gun laws and such kind of confuse me. I am very new to all of this and I havent taken the time to learn yet, but I wanted some feedback as for what I'm looking for from the gun and where I should spend my money.

I want a rifle that will serve me for pretty much the next few years, with minimal modding (preferably none ; hence why I want to look into building). I am a little asian dude, so my hands are kinda small also.

I've read about piston systems and how they require less maintenance (pretty much the extent of my knowledge). Im not trying to be cheap, but I want to be smart about the build.

Could anyone help point me in a good direction or give tips? Is it better for me to just buy a full rifle (Colt?). I know california has some strict laws so that actually should make it easier since theres less options right?

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:02:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Honestly, buy your first rifle.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#2]
whatever you build or buy needs to have a bullet button and use 10rd mags

search around, palmetto sells complete lowers that are CA compliant and others full rifles
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:25:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
whatever you build or buy needs to have a bullet button and use 10rd mags

search around, palmetto sells complete lowers that are CA compliant and others full rifles
View Quote

One of the guys I work with just got his OBR in and picked it up.  Damn shame to see that fine rifle nurtured.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Honestly, buy your first rifle.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome

I wouldn't get a piston AR for my first, but that's just me. I did build my first AR, but to really save money you need to wait for the parts you want to go on sale. If you want one now I would just buy a complete AR as that will probably be cheaper.  What's your budget?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy your first, unless you got an all knowing buddy with specialized tools that can help you build.
Don't go piston drive, its heavy, and more money, and more complicated to build.

Just buy an AR with 16" barrel and adjustable stock, and then consider changing pistol grip if its too big.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:42:37 PM EDT
[#7]
First rifle..

Buy a factory assembled one.

Are you in Nocal or SoCal.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 6:16:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Also, you will need a tool to make releasing the magazine easier. The magnets work nicely, but they are illegal if you leave it on the gun (so, what's the point) and if it got knocked off and lost you would take 10 rounds in the head before you could find it.
The ThumBee is 100% legal because it attaches to you thumb - not the gun. It is cheap and works great. Google thumbee to check it out or search youtube for ThumBee.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Also, you will need a tool to make releasing the magazine easier. The magnets work nicely, but they are illegal if you leave it on the gun (so, what's the point) to attach to the magazine release in any manner, regardless how brief
View Quote

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you plan on building more in the future? If not then you will buy tools you will hardly ever use again and buying a whole rifle or an upper and lower of your choosing might be best. I have built two rifles from individual parts so far and bought none, so far both of them work just as well as my friends who are paying $2000 dollars for these name brand(up for debate) designer rifles, but that is just me I build 3d printers for fun so you have to decide how mechanically inclined you are. The laws are pretty simple, I may leave something out so here is a flow chart for you. https://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, you will need a tool to make releasing the magazine easier. The magnets work nicely, but they are illegal if you leave it on the gun (so, what's the point) to attach to the magazine release in any manner, regardless how brief

Fixed it for you.

^^^^This.
I get an advertisement for these stupid things running across my Facebook feed almost daily. Doesn't matter how much I argue with them, post links and whatnot..... they just won't accept it. I guess they'll find out the hard way eventually. Anywho......where'd the O.P go???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top