Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2015 8:53:31 PM EDT
We will be visiting California this summer to visit my Dad, I have not been back to CA in over 15 yrs, I will be traveling by car, I want to bring my S&W Shield, I do have a TX CHL but I know CA does not recognize it.

Can I LEGALLY bring my Shield into CA, if so is there a round capacity limit? Can I keep it in my car (glove compartment etc.)? How much ammo can I bring with me.

I will be in the Southern part San Diego/Oceanside area, not sure if this is relevant

any and all info will be appreciated, thanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#1]
10rnd limit.
Your CHL is useless here.
Must be in a locked box unloaded.

And you can't just drive around with it just because.

Ammo. As much as you want.
Type. No tracers.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_11/577128_Travel_to_CA.html
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the link

Shield only has 7 rounder, GTG

So far as a "lock" box, and after reading the thread, I understand any type of lock box with a lock is G2G, there is really no specifications on it

so the statement of "just driving around" would be something like, once I arrive in CA I could not have it with me, but driving into and out of I'm G2G??

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
10rnd limit.

Type. No tracers.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#3]
you may transport the HG to and from any place you are legally allowed to have it.  a range, a friend's house, a relative's house, your home, hotel room, campsite, etc.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#4]
ok that clears it up, thanks
Quoted:
you may transport the HG to and from any place you are legally allowed to have it.  a range, a friend's house, a relative's house, your home, hotel room, campsite, etc.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:07:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the link

So far as a "lock" box, and after reading the thread, I understand any type of lock box with a lock is G2G, there is really no specifications on it

so the statement of "just driving around" would be something like, once I arrive in CA I could not have it with me, but driving into and out of I'm G2G??

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thanks for the link

Quoted:
10rnd limit.

Type. No tracers.

You can drive around, that's fine. Also there is no definition of what a lock box is, but the law clearly says a glove box or center console that locks does not count. I just use something with a double zipper and put a TSA style lock through it.

ETA: Also the gun can't be loaded, but the mag can be stored in the same container as the gun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Got it, thanks everyone
Quoted:

You can drive around, that's fine. Also there is no definition of what a lock box is, but the law clearly says a glove box or center console that locks does not count. I just use something with a double zipper and put a TSA style lock through it.

ETA: Also the gun can't be loaded, but the mag can be stored in the same container as the gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the link

Quoted:
10rnd limit.

Type. No tracers.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:08:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I just use a soft container as posted above.  No limit on ammo
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Whenever I go to CA, I try to just take what I still own that is registered with the CA DOJ from when I used to live there.  I figure that may make things run smoother if my serial number ever gets checked.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#9]
The text of the law specifically prohibits using your glove box and/or center console for firearm storage.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think it was Paul (?) who said, a paper bag folded over with a lock thru the folds would meet the legal definition of a locked container.  

Legally, it probably would.  Honestly, don't do it!

The text of the law specifically prohibits using your glove box and/or center console for firearm storage.
View Quote

Or me, yeah the law is that vague and permissive.  As long as the container isn't within open reach of the driver or passengers, it should be good to go.

Actually what you need to bring is rain.  Lot's of it.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:02:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think it was Paul (?) who said, a paper bag folded over with a lock thru the folds would meet the legal definition of a locked container.  
View Quote

I'm just guessing Paul isn't a lawyer, and doesn't practice that because he doesn't want to hire a very expensive lawyer to be the test case. I'm gonna go with "he was being sarcastic"
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm just guessing Paul isn't a lawyer, and doesn't practice that because he doesn't want to hire a very expensive lawyer to be the test case. I'm gonna go with "he was being sarcastic"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went with "he was being humorous".  Hence, the smiley.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just making sure we don't have a visitor taking some tongue-in-cheek advice and getting themselves in trouble unnecessarily.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:08:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Okay, it wasn't Paul.  

I posted it here (but didn't invent it).  I put a smiley after it.  I also said, "Honestly, don't do it."

I do understand the confusion it could cause.  Humor is difficult under the best of circumstances.  On the internet, it is next to impossible.  

I'm going to delete the post and suggest those of you who quoted it, do likewise.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:36:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:47:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Any opaque container, any lock.

I use soft pistol cases with the dollar store combo locks with two of the three numbers preset and taped into place. The tape helps keep the locks together too. I had one fall apart in the back of my truck just from the ride out to the desert. In a rush I could just twist the lock off with my bare hands.

Until California defines opaque contain and lock I figure I'm good-to-go.
View Quote

Does it say "opaque" ?? (or is that the container counterpart of open carry?)

The law is about as vague as they get.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top