Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2015 11:47:47 PM EDT
First off: former resident so I have 10 round mags, know how to transport guns, and know what an OLL is, etc. I since got residency elsewhere and also a handgun. Am I gong to be in a gray area visiting with one? Possession and eligibility to purchase are two separate things and AFAIK possession for a CA resident under 21 is only possible through a family arrangement that entails legally binding paperwork. I do know that barring age, I'd definitely be fine. Citations would be a definite plus.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#1]
When I lived in CA you were legal to be in possession of a handgun at 18, you just couldn't buy one through an FFL.  I've been gone for over 10 years now, so I don't know what laws have changed in that time.  Have you tried CA DOJ website?
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 11:56:20 PM EDT
[#2]
My question is too specific for their FAQs.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:02:46 AM EDT
[#3]
from the stickies above

HANDGUNS
California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not within any of the classes excepted from firearm possession and who resides or is temporarily in California from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person if the firearm is unloaded and in a locked container.

However since you are no longer a resident, you may have an issue with "importing" high-cap mags.  If you had maintained residency, there would be no issues.  Follow ALL the rules, and don't let the man into your life unnecessarily.  In other words, don't carry concealed and get caught, etc etc.no traffic stops where the guns aren't being transported legally, etc etc

Don't be stupid, if you decide to go some place where you think you really need to carry because it is dangerous, re-start, re-think and don't go there.  

you mention one following handgun, are you asking about handguns or rifles?
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:18:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice. The answer is hidden around transportation regulations so I wasn't looking in the right place.

and to clarify:

I'm bringing my baby killers simply for fun and to take some interested friends out for their first shoots. I couldn't afford a justifiable homicide defense anyways :o
The ten round mags aren't imported since they've stayed in state.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:43:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Ten round mags are not an issue.  It's magazines that hold MORE than ten rounds that are problematic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top