Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2015 11:36:10 PM EDT
My wife's a 2nd year MSN Pediatric NP student. We PCS'd to San Diego this summer from VA for my career and since arriving she has had a near impossible time finding a preceptor. If she doesn't find a Pediatric Primary Care provider and obtain 40 hours shadowing before May she'll have to drop this semester and wait a full year for this class to kick off again. She'll travel just about anywhere within reasonable driving distance (basically San Diego to LA) for an 8 hour day.

If anyone can help please PM me, I can not begin to tell you how much it would be appreciated. It's gotten so bad we've resorted to Craigslist offering to pay $10 an hour for a preceptor.

Thanks!

ETA: I know the rules...

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:57:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Hard to help you guys through PM if your " This User's Message Box Is Full."

Hey Jerad and Wife,
My daughter just graduated AGACNP and she had the same problem finding a preceptor, however she is in another state .
She had to go hang out at the nurses station at the hospital she wanted to precept at and beg to be taken on as a student.
Good luck and don't give up.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#2]
A route you may not have thought of, find an in home care facility for intellectually delayed/medical kids (typically wards of the state), find out who they use as a primary (medicare only covers the shittiest overcrowded docs and PCPs), then go to that doc and ask.  The medicare docs that handle the kids are overwhelmed enough that they might do it.  My wife is an RN/QIDP, so I hear the stories of how overcrowded those clinics and docs are from when she has to take some of her kids in for appts.  I know it's a convoluted solution, but it's one you might not have thought of yet.  I could help you in Fresno/Clovis.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you military? Have you contacted the GME departement at the Naval Medical Center?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:44:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hey Jerad and Wife,
My daughter just graduated AGACNP and she had the same problem finding a preceptor, however she is in another state .
She had to go hang out at the nurses station at the hospital she wanted to precept at and beg to be taken on as a student.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hey Jerad and Wife,

Not a bad idea, unfortunately she is in need of clinical hours, not hospital hours. She works in a hospital, but unfortunately she can't get her hours there.

Quoted:
A route you may not have thought of, find an in home care facility for intellectually delayed/medical kids (typically wards of the state), find out who they use as a primary (medicare only covers the shittiest overcrowded docs and PCPs), then go to that doc and ask.  The medicare docs that handle the kids are overwhelmed enough that they might do it.  My wife is an RN/QIDP, so I hear the stories of how overcrowded those clinics and docs are from when she has to take some of her kids in for appts.  I know it's a convoluted solution, but it's one you might not have thought of yet.  I could help you in Fresno/Clovis.

We'll keep this in mind, she still need hours for this summer and fall so we'll add this to our list of search techniques. It's amazing how many providers won't help students. I know it's changed her, after graduation she has vowed to bend over backwards to help student needing preceptors.

Quoted:
Are you military? Have you contacted the GME departement at the Naval Medical Center?

We are and we did. Actually as of a couple days ago got approved so she now has the hours she needs for this semester! We're very thankful for the assistance everyone provided and the blessings God poured out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We are and we did. Actually as of a couple days ago got approved so she now has the hours she needs for this semester! We're very thankful for the assistance everyone provided and the blessings God poured out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very cool. We are a big facility and I have seen boatloads of students from myriad programs come through. Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top