Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2015 10:53:41 PM EDT
I've got a buddy in GA, who's parents live outside L.A.  

He's hunted all his life with his Dad, and his old man is supposed to have a pretty large gun collection, including some antiques.  

My buddy mentioned he and his Dad were worried about what was going to happen to all of the collection in the future when the untimely happens.  

I was sort of perplexed they had never heard of a trust.  I explained it to my buddy, and told him I'd reach out to you guys to see if anybody can recommend a good 2A trust attorney (reasonably priced) in the area.

Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:50:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I doubt a trust can do you anymore than a well written will can do.  Both can designate beneficiaries for the individual firearms staying in CA, except registered assault weapons.  Those need to be taken out of state iaw the State Assault Weapons laws, they can not be inherited.  

Inherited registered firearms, need to be re-registered to the new owner as obtained by action of law.  IIRC there is minimal charge for that.  Those must go to legal recipients.  Unregistered assault weapons, well those the appropriate party needs to get out of CA or otherwise legally disposed of (disposition does not mean throwing away)  He may have a lot of unregistered guns.  Registration was not required on a lot of acquisitions all that long ago and are legally owned. Those should also be registered by action of law methods.  I expect that after listing unregistered firearms on a public document, they should probably be registered when transferred.  The original owner needs not register them unless he wants to carry illegally.  There are different penalties for carrying registered and unregistered firearms, even if the unregistered was obtained legally and never required to be registered.

The only problems apply to assault weapons, registered or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top