BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2015 5:05:10 PM EDT
Can CA still make pistols in AR and AK?

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:18:20 AM EDT
[#1]
yes?
but there is this new sse thing now that needs to be done
something about being able to break open, and still the single round mag when first assembling

since the ar can break open easily it shouldn't be an issue to do that
not sure how the ak can though

and im not exactly sure if that needs to be done on home made, but it wouldnt hurt to do that if your not sure
of course there is no proof needed unless you want to take pics or video

it may be something you want to read up on some call it single shot exemption 2
but im not sure if thats the official name or what people call it
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I just posted this exact question about a week ago. The consensus was pretty mixed, I spoke with my local gun shop to someone I trust and he said with the SSE gone you cannot buy or build a AR pistol one because it is not on the roster, and two you cannot get a lower that is designated pistol. But I may be wrong/I hope I'm wrong I'd like to build one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just posted this exact question about a week ago. The consensus was pretty mixed, I spoke with my local gun shop to someone I trust and he said with the SSE gone you cannot buy or build a AR pistol one because it is not on the roster, and two you cannot get a lower that is designated pistol. But I may be wrong/I hope I'm wrong I'd like to build one.
View Quote

Building an AR pistol using a lower you got through an FFL is impossible. SSE 2.0 might work through an FFL as a complete AR pistol, but it's still too early to tell.  CA DROS requires stripped lowers be transferred as "rifles" which precludes using that lower in a pistol build. There is no "other" in the DROS system and it can't be a "pistol" because of the roster.

You can still build yourself an AR pistol if you start with an 80% lower and build directly to "pistol" with it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:39:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Not to steal your thunder OP, but i have a (i think) good question. I bought two stripped lowers via turners back in 2012 the next day after BHO was re elected. The girl doing the FFL paperwork wasnt sure what to put for "type", so she asked me is this a rifle, a pistol??? My reply was, "its neither cause i havnt built it yet" so i kind of led her into checking OTHER on both my stripped lowers. So my question is, now with SSE gone; and these lowers are considered OTHER, would there be any legal ramifications preventing me from using my OTHER lowers as pistol builds? Something im VERY interested in now that AR pistols are on the naughty list for our beloved gun hating state. I mean, if i were ever stopped and hasseled, i have paperwork calling these lowers OTHER, so what can/cant i do with them?
Thabks for the input fellas. Sorry to step on your nuts OP, semi related question of relevance. :)
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not to steal your thunder OP, but i have a (i think) good question. I bought two stripped lowers via turners back in 2012 the next day after BHO was re elected. The girl doing the FFL paperwork wasnt sure what to put for "type", so she asked me is this a rifle, a pistol??? My reply was, "its neither cause i havnt built it yet" so i kind of led her into checking OTHER on both my stripped lowers. So my question is, now with SSE gone; and these lowers are considered OTHER, would there be any legal ramifications preventing me from using my OTHER lowers as pistol builds? Something im VERY interested in now that AR pistols are on the naughty list for our beloved gun hating state. I mean, if i were ever stopped and hasseled, i have paperwork calling these lowers OTHER, so what can/cant i do with them?
Thabks for the input fellas. Sorry to step on your nuts OP, semi related question of relevance. :)
View Quote

They are not considered OTHER except on the 4473. They were run as a longgun on DROS and that's what they are now in CA.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Very well. That answers my question. :) thanks man
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:13:44 AM EDT
[#7]
What about 80% lowers? Can I still build an 80% lower into a pistol? Or did it need to be made prior to 01/01/15?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top