Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2015 10:24:52 PM EDT
Let's say you wanted to take your girlfriend to San Diego, and you wanted to find a romantic spot to, ahem, confirm a commitment and ask a question that you've waited your entire life to ask someone.  Where would you go?

The reason I'm picking San Diego is because her favorite author is based there, and with some advanced notice, I can arrange for my GF and I to meet him and his people at his offices in downtown San Diego.    I also am interested in the zoo, and there's some other cool museums(I believe a car museum in Balboa Park?) Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Marriott on Coronado, there is a pathway behind it that you can see the city skyline from very well and the bridge. I was stationed there for a few years it's a nice view at night.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I've yet to meet a girl from out of state that wasn't blown away by La Jolla.  15 minutes from downtown San Diego.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Checked out La Jolla on Google Maps Street View, holy cow is it gorgeous!

Also, is it worth it to go to the Safari Park over the zoo? Not sure if we'd rent a car, and Escondido looks to be 30 minutes to the north.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I lived in Sanddy Eggo for 7 years and the Zoo was always a bigger hit with people visiting, but Safari Park was my favorite by far. If you can do both do it, but if you can only do one do the Zoo as it makes a bigger first impression.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Also, is it worth it to go to the Safari Park over the zoo? Not sure if we'd rent a car, and Escondido looks to be 30 minutes to the north.
View Quote

No the zoo is much better then the safari park. The safari park is basically I large piece of land with a lot of animals on it, and you take a tram around the edges. You get close to some of the docile animals, but my family enjoyed the zoo much more then the safari park.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No the zoo is much better then the safari park. The safari park is basically I large piece of land with a lot of animals on it, and you take a tram around the edges. You get close to some of the docile animals, but my family enjoyed the zoo much more then the safari park.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FYI the tram is no more. You either take the free bus around the edge similar to the way the tram worked or pay to take a ride through the park.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Go to La Jolla. You could take her to the tide pools in OB (disclaimer: OB is a little scuzzy comparatively.) Take the ferry over to Coronado and rent bikes and pop the question from the park over there. If you guys hike you could go to Potato Chip rock.

Torrey Pines, Balboa Park are also considerations. Just about any damn beach is pretty nice if you walk around.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

It's not going to be until September, but why not plan now, right?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:33:54 AM EDT
[#11]
If it's still in good condition, try the Harbor Marriott.  Get a corner suite on an upper floor that faces the harbor and overlooks the Coronado Bridge.  Wait for the twinkling lights at night.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:21:36 AM EDT
[#12]
The Prado Complex in Balboa Park, several gardens, museums, the Zoo around the corner.  Possibly a picnic dinner and a show at one of the theaters.  

This will be showing in September. http://www.theoldglobe.org/tickets/production.aspx?performanceNumber=11683  This is the open air theater and we have always had great shows.

We lived in San Diego for 5 years and one of our favorite special events was going to see Shakespeare in the Park.

But La Jolla is great, and watching sunset over Point Loma, hard to beat.

https://ideasinspiringinnovation.wordpress.com/2009/11/24/the-worlds-greatest-urban-parks-balboa-park-san-diego/
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I like to go to the deck at the Hotel Del Coronado and have a drink while watching the sunset on the deck.  After that, go to Il Fornaio for dinner.  The restaurant has outstanding views of downtown.

If you are going to the zoo and Balboa Park, make time to see the Air and Space museum.  If you walk from the zoo to the park you will pass Spanish Village.  It is home to a bunch of local artists.  Always interesting to walk through there.

If you get a chance go to Point Loma and visit the Cabrillo Monument.  Great views of Coronado, downtown and Mexico.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If it's still in good condition, try the Harbor Marriott.  Get a corner suite on an upper floor that faces the harbor and overlooks the Coronado Bridge.  Wait for the twinkling lights at night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This one?

Quoted:
I like to go to the deck at the Hotel Del Coronado and have a drink while watching the sunset on the deck.  After that, go to Il Fornaio for dinner.  The restaurant has outstanding views of downtown.

If you are going to the zoo and Balboa Park, make time to see the Air and Space museum.  If you walk from the zoo to the park you will pass Spanish Village.  It is home to a bunch of local artists.  Always interesting to walk through there.

If you get a chance go to Point Loma and visit the Cabrillo Monument.  Great views of Coronado, downtown and Mexico.
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q194/Tinysd/Tinysd4/rosecranslight013.jpg

Have fun!

She'd enjoy the art(she's an artist).
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't take her to Pure Platinum You can kayak in  La Jolla and go through some caves and sea a bunch of seals and stuff. It's pretty cool and cheap.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:38:26 AM EDT
[#16]
For what its worth I proposed to my now fiancee at the Statue near the Midway so...

Mark
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#17]
As has been said, Coronado and La Jolla are about the two nicest places in town for a proposal.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Balboa Park has multiple possible venues.  The Prado is a fine restaurant in the park.  Mr. A's is a upscale restaurant not far from the park.  The La Valencia at La Jolla is also nice.  

Sunset Cliffs, Torrey Pines, Hotel Del Coronado.  Just a few that come to mind.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:40:45 AM EDT
[#19]
All good ideas here, balboa park gets my vote, good luck!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:22:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Another vote for Point Loma / Cabrillo at sunset.

SD resident for 4 years
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:21:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I popped the question in front of this place in La Jolla:

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:01:48 AM EDT
[#22]
La Jolla Cove

Edit: just saw you already did it. Congrats!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
La Jolla Cove

Edit: just saw you already did it. Congrats!
View Quote

Not yet. Just getting ideas. TY everyone.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Black's beach.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Black's beach.

View Quote

dude
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:29:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

dude
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Black's beach.

dude

Good enough for the B.S.A. Good enough for Deej

I vote Hotel Del on Coronado.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:46:49 PM EDT
[#28]
La jolla beach and tennis club on la jolla shores beach.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've yet to meet a girl from out of state that wasn't blown away by La Jolla.  15 minutes from downtown San Diego.
View Quote

La Jolla smells like seal poop. It smells bad.  My opinion of La Jolla is skewed because I go there for business. OP it depends on what you and your girl like, does she like the beach? hanging out people watching? Here are some pics I took from my hotel room in the middle of La Jolla,

not that its bad, but La Jolla is a small-ultra rich beach town, OP seems like a guy that doesnt seem interested by the La Jolla scene.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

La Jolla smells like seal poop. It smells bad.  My opinion of La Jolla is skewed because I go there for business. OP it depends on what you and your girl like, does she like the beach? hanging out people watching? Here are some pics I took from my hotel room in the middle of La Jolla,

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/ezecheese/C8319C9B-A3D3-4586-9FF3-612792E4C1DD_zpspo6dsydr.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/ezecheese/05B45509-EE18-43CA-ACEF-78932BC04F1B_zpsfidt41dk.jpg

not that its bad, but La Jolla is a small-ultra rich beach town, OP seems like a guy that doesnt seem interested by the La Jolla scene.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/ezecheese/C8319C9B-A3D3-4586-9FF3-612792E4C1DD_zpspo6dsydr.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/ezecheese/05B45509-EE18-43CA-ACEF-78932BC04F1B_zpsfidt41dk.jpg

That hotel room is within a few hundred feet of the first place my family rented in San Diego when we moved here in 1962.  My dad was a doctor.  He got a gig at the old Scripps Clinic.  The plan was to become fabulously wealthy and live high off the hog.  

The seal poop is confined to one area, but it's in the heart of the most scenic section of coastline in LJ.

Link Posted: 2/7/2015 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Pretty much anywhere in San Diego is going to be good, as long as you stick to the beach areas.  If she doesn't get seasick, take her on a boat cruise and propose while out in the bay.  Sea World, at the top of the view tower, several restaurants that have a view of the ocean, Seaport Village among them, you can't go wrong just about anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Top of the Market is a good place to eat right next to that.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#33]
I would highly recommend visiting the Hillcrest area and a\make sure to check out The Brass Rail as well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I would highly recommend visiting the Hillcrest area and a\make sure to check out The Brass Rail as well.
View Quote

The Brass Rail was originally a submariner bar.

The Slip Inn was cool but it got shut down about 10 years ago.

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#35]
First off good for you

Hotel del Coronado
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Black's beach.

View Quote
Heheh, I'd say "dick move", but........

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top