Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2014 3:26:29 PM EDT
Posted on November 21, 2014

In August, U.S. District Judge Anthony Ishii struck down the California 10-day waiting period to buy guns for people who are known to the state to already own guns — a narrow but significant Second Amendment decision. Today, Judge Ishii declined to issue a stay of his decision.

Read the article: The Volokh Conspiracy

Tags:California, Waiting Periods

http://nraila.org/news-issues/in-the-news/2014/11/california-judge-declines-stay-in-waiting-period-case.aspx
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:50:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whoa!

Rational thought. I have made this argument for decades ... why cool-off buying a new firearm if you already own others?

View Quote

Well you already know it's to kill sales and gunshows.  If a person can buy it that day their more likely to buy. Instant Gratification!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Well you already know it's to kill sales and gunshows.  If a person can buy it that day their more likely to buy. Instant Gratification!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whoa!

Rational thought. I have made this argument for decades ... why cool-off buying a new firearm if you already own others?

It for sure hurts.

I have stopped in out of town stores and looked at guns. Saw a few things I wanted but given the logistics of sending it to another ffl and paying for that or having to come back in 10 days to pick it up, I passed.

So yeah, the law works exactly as intended.

Barring an appeal to a higher court, when does this take effect and what (if anything) will be needed to prove existing gun ownership to bypass the waiting period?
I would assume since I already have a few "registered" guns, the state pretty much knows what I have.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:12:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Now what?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:50:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Now we wait. Sometime in Feb. 2015 we will know as the 6 month stay in ruling of the current law ends, and the law on the books should become null and void.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Local media reported on it over the weekend.

Of course they left out the fact that background checks will still be conducted, to make it sound like anybody could just go in and buy a gun and take it home with them.

And they put it right after the story about the kid who shot his parents to death during thanksgiving.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#7]
How will they know and when can gun store owners act on this change?

It's like the CCW ruling.  When can I go to Los Angeles and get my CCW?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top