Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2014 1:56:45 PM EDT
These guys got a sense of pride and self respect working the fire crews. As well as better food and exercise. Plus it saved the state about 80 million a year.

Looks like they are going away now.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-san-bernardino-inmate-firecrew-20141112-story.html#page=1
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like rather than cutting brush they're cutting them loose.

Sounds like a good program.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like rather than cutting brush they're cutting them loose.

San Bernardino is one of several counties to use jail inmates on fire lines. Last year, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors agreed to send more than 500 low-risk inmates to various fire mountain camps in a bid to reduce jail overcrowding caused by realignment.

Sounds like a good program.

Two former crew members now have jobs with the U.S. Forest Service, and three current participants are being considered for jobs with the county Fire Department.

Since the program began last year with 15 inmates, it has grown to about 50 inmates. The goal is to grow to 96. Scores of inmates are on a waiting list to join the crew, officials say.

To be considered for the inmate crew, candidates must be low-level offenders serving a minimum of 15 to 18 months with no history of gang-related, sexual or violent crimes. For obvious reasons, they can't have a disciplinary record or a history of trying to escape.

I not usually big on the often failed concept of rehabilitation. But if some petty drug dealer in a dead end life was able to find some self respect and an appreciation for hard work. Then turned that into an actual job after his release? Thats a feel good story I can get behind.  Because thats actually pretty cool. Plus wilderness firefighters are badass.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 2:34:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Does sound like a good money saver; but I hope that the experience the cons get doesn't bump someone out of a job who has no criminal record.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:35:54 AM EDT
[#5]
If (and that is a big if) con crews are eliminated cities, counties and the state are going to be forced into a really bad position.  You think wildland fire suppression costs are high now?  

Con crews serve an extremely important function. Eliminate con crews and we will be forced to pay much more for someone else to perform the same vital function.  And expect fires to get much bigger before containment/control.

Those crews work their asses off.  There has to be a way to retain them, someone will come up with a plan.  I hope.  Maybe the private crews will get hired more often, but that won't be cheap.

eta It was always awkward when working with con crews.  Just about every single time at least one would tell me they were hoping to someday get hired at the fire dept. when they finished their sentences.  I never told them that AFAIK fire departments do not hire felons.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a Fire Camp up near Jamestown, CA.  An acquaintance of mine was a CO / Firefighter that worked and trained those inmate crews.  He really enjoyed the job and spoke highly of the inmates that earned their way into the program.  From what I remember, it is not an easy program to gain entry into.  It was mental, physical, plus the hardest part: no discipline issues.  Those inmate crews were tougher and more experienced than the seasonal "summertime" college crews Cal-Fire hires.

My buddy retired a few years ago just prior to the AB109 realignment.  Not sure how things are going at Jamestown currently.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top