Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2014 12:09:24 PM EDT
On a Yahoo news post, today, a respondent made the following comment.

If YOU have a Cali CCW, let us know how this person's experience compares to yours.

Randy

While I applaud, loudly and fervently, the decision of the 9th Circuit, it's still very difficult to obtain a CCW here in the State of California.

Not only does one have to pass an intensive criminal background check, one must also subject themselves to both a psychological written exam (500 questions) and a psychological examination by a licensed psychologist of the county's choosing at the expense of the applicant. On top of that, there's the mandatory 16 hours of classroom training and range certification...again at the expense of the applicant. Interviews are conducted with the applicant's friends, family, co-workers, neighbors and employer. A "visit" is made to the home of the applicant for another "personal interview" (said to be an address verification). All of this can take up to a year, depending on the backlog of the local Sheriff's Department. A co-worker of mine started the application process in August of last year and just got his CCW this month. The final cost of the CCW, if approved, around $1,000.

I really envy those of you who live in a "shall issue" State.
Collapse Replies (12) Reply
*************************************************************************************

Did this happen to you?

" Interviews are conducted with the applicant's friends, family, co-workers, neighbors and employer. A "visit" is made to the home of the applicant for another "personal interview" (said to be an address verification)."

I am a loner by nature, and NEVER let relatives, or neighbors, or coworkers know about my personal life!

I live in Orange County....perhaps I should have mentioned that.

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#1]
No, but it depends on counties. My county is just a background check and a 16 hour class.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Varies greatly by county.

Yolo county: http://www.yolocountysheriff.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/CCW-Policy-10-12.pdf

Butte couty: http://www.buttecounty.net/Portals/24/pdf/CCW%20Instructions062514.pdf

Tom
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:15:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, but it depends on counties. My county is just a background check and a 16 hour class.
View Quote

Same here. Sacramento Co.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep.  

8 hr class
Fill out Background package
Live scan
Done.

I am a Chief and I issue.  All I want to see is the words "Personal Protection" for the justification.

No psych test necessary.   No neighborhood visits.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I live in San Bernardino county. I got my CCW in 1996. I had to fill out the app., give 3 character reference letters, went through a background check and bring the handguns to be checked out. A few months later it arrived in the mail.

A coworker is going through his process now. So far, he has filled out the app.and had an investigator talk to his neighbors. He still has to take a class but I'm not sure how many hrs. it is. He didn't need any character reference letters either. I've never known anyone to have to take a psychological exam for their CCW.

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Fresno county here.  Not a big deal to get one here.  Fill out your application, set up an appointment with your issuing agency and turn in your application (first appointment is 15 minutes?, mine took place in the hallway by the coffee machine.  Very friendly, not an interview or anything stressful, mainly the officer making sure the form is filled out correctly while you are there to fix anything filled out wrong).  About a month later once your application is accepted, you come back to get fingerprinted for the standard FBI background check.  After that you take a 8 hour class and wait by your mailbox.  

Super easy, low key, low stress process.  The SO or FPD are both great to work with.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yep.  

8 hr class
Live scan
Done.

I am a Chief and I issue.  All I want to see is the words "Personal Protection" for the justification.

View Quote

Hey Taft, how you been? We need to get back to the range.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.  

8 hr class
Live scan
Done.

Yes !   Love to shoot.   Say when, I'm your huckleberry
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:35:30 PM EDT
[#9]
There is no psych eval or 500 question test.

No I wont respond to an idiot that I find doubtful as to their actual experience/knowledge.

My experiences are that of someone who has had a Ca CCW issued and has been through an LE hiring practice with an actual pysch eval/questionnaire.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:14:52 AM EDT
[#10]
This is the Sherriff's Letter on the Monterey County CCW HomePage

"The purpose of this message is to give individuals interested in obtaining a Carry Concealed Weapon Permit (CCW) an idea of the standards and process for successfully obtaining one from the Monterey County Sheriff’s Office.

Historically many people have applied for a CCW with little idea as to whether or not their request would be successful. Often the unknown element centers on the State of California’s requirement to show “good cause” in order to obtain a CCW. The standard of “good cause” varies widely from county to county. In my opinion, “personal protection” should suffice to establish the good cause standard.

However, with this standard comes a requirement that the background process be more thorough and rigorous than has been the case in the past. At some point during your application process, a background investigator will contact a sampling of your neighbors, family and co-workers to determine your suitability to carry a concealed weapon. We will advise the people we contact of the reason for the contact, and ask them if they would recommend you be issued a CCW permit.

While this may seem intrusive to some, I believe that with an expanded definition of “good cause” (that applies to virtually every lawful resident of the County) comes a higher level of due diligence on our part to ensure we are not issuing CCW permits to individuals who shouldn’t have one. Those individuals who have lived an upstanding life in every respect and enjoy a well-earned reputation among their neighbors, co-workers and friends should have little problem successfully getting through our process.

Please read through the additional requirements to obtain a CCW permit carefully before submitting your application. If you choose to continue the process I hope this message provides some clarity regarding your chances for successfully obtaining a CCW permit."
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:36:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm surprised I don't see anybody complain about employer notification. They're fucking with people's livelihoods. Anti-gun libs are mean spiteful people. My HR manager is one of them. I already took legal action against her once, the last thing I need is for that bitch to see red again and try another stupid stunt. I've gone up against her twice, both times she tried to get me fired. The second time I got a lawyer. We don't get along. She's too stupid to realize she'll never win, but I don't need any more grief from that lying bitch.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'm surprised I don't see anybody complain about employer notification. They're fucking with people's livelihoods. Anti-gun libs are mean spiteful people. My HR manager is one of them. I already took legal action against her once, the last thing I need is for that bitch to see red again and try another stupid stunt. I've gone up against her twice, both times she tried to get me fired. The second time I got a lawyer. We don't get along. She's too stupid to realize she'll never win, but I don't need any more grief from that lying bitch.
View Quote

You just moved to Rancho Cucamonga right? If I remember correctly, I think the sheriff only contacts your work to see if you work there, but it's been almost  or years so I don't remember %.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

"The purpose of this message is to give individuals interested in obtaining a Carry Concealed Weapon Permit (CCW) an idea of the standards and process for successfully obtaining one from the Monterey County Sheriff’s Office.

Historically many people have applied for a CCW with little idea as to whether or not their request would be successful. Often the unknown element centers on the State of California’s requirement to show “good cause” in order to obtain a CCW. The standard of “good cause” varies widely from county to county. In my opinion, “personal protection” should suffice to establish the good cause standard.

However, with this standard comes a requirement that the background process be more thorough and rigorous than has been the case in the past. At some point during your application process, a background investigator will contact a sampling of your neighbors, family and co-workers to determine your suitability to carry a concealed weapon. We will advise the people we contact of the reason for the contact, and ask them if they would recommend you be issued a CCW permit.

While this may seem intrusive to some, I believe that with an expanded definition of “good cause” (that applies to virtually every lawful resident of the County) comes a higher level of due diligence on our part to ensure we are not issuing CCW permits to individuals who shouldn’t have one. Those individuals who have lived an upstanding life in every respect and enjoy a well-earned reputation among their neighbors, co-workers and friends should have little problem successfully getting through our process.

Please read through the additional requirements to obtain a CCW permit carefully before submitting your application. If you choose to continue the process I hope this message provides some clarity regarding your chances for successfully obtaining a CCW permit."
View Quote

I wonder where he stands on freedom of information act requests if an idiot in the media wants to get all the info on CCW applicants.

The background check shouldnt include neighbors/co-workers.    Just opening the door to a rash of shit harassment either by asshat neighbors or asshat employers.

Criminal background check and credit check about the only things that should be done.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Three things:

1) Should issuance be based on a popularity contest?  Are unpopular people entitled to any sort of "rights"?

2) Could a case be made that informing my neighbors, co-workers, and employers that I'm applying for a CCW defeats the purpose of "concealed"?

3) Will there be an investigation and background check on my neighbors, co-workers, and employers to determine their suitability in determining my suitability?  I'm not even kidding.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I live in Orange County and I'm in the middle of getting my CCW. Here's my timeline so far:

Sept 26th - Initial Interview. The interview was literally 10-15 minutes and all the interviewer did was go over my application.
Oct 4 - Residence check. Sheriff came to my house and I was out. He went to my neighbor's place and asked if SigP220guy lives next door. Neighbor said yes and that was it.
Oct 17 - Approval to proceed to trainging and Live Scan. This is the point where if you were denied, they'd give you reason for the denial. I'm told most denials are for not satisfying the "Good moral clause". Whatever that may be.
Oct 24&25 - Training with approved instructor. The first 8 hours was a mix of classroom and live fire. Second 8 hours included more classroom, some live fire and then qualifying with the firearms that will be listed on the ccw.
Oct 28 - Livescan. Went down to the local PD and had fingerprints sent to DOJ. I was told this is where the DOJ does a firearms check and a more intense background check.
Oct 29 - Present - Waiting for final approval

All in all, it's been a painless process, although the costs are a bit high. Minimum $200 for the training, $100 for the Live Scan, and another $103 for the CCW itself. Almost the cost of a new gun...
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I got my El Dorado County CCW in under 3 months, maybe 2 I can't really remember. It was very easy.

The shop I work at does training classes for Placer, El Dorado, and Sac Counties and they all seem to be going pretty fast. Sacramento especially has really upped their game and is getting applications through faster than ever.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Recently in Butte Co. for my wife.

1st week in October: Turned in application, got live scanned, paid $104.

1st week in December: Received approval.

Thursday 12/18: Take 4 hour class, $60.

Friday 12/19: (hopefully) Take qualifying targets to SO, pay $54, walk out with CCW.

Tom
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Going on my 4th year with a Stanislaus County issued permit.
Had to take an 8hr class and wait about 7 months before my appointment day to turn in the application. While turning in the application I paid my fees (iirc $125) and had my finger prints taken. Then it took about 6 weeks to get the interview phone call. They were basic questions (do you feel you are in more danger than the average person? Why do you want a CCW....). Then it was about two weeks from there that I was called to come pick up my permit.
My reason for requesting the ccw was simply 'protection outside of the home'.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#20]
CCW?

Not in Richmond you're not...    
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#21]
My neighbor is letting his buddy use his San Bernardino County home address to apply for a CCW.... idiot!...right?
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My neighbor is letting his buddy use his San Bernardino County home address to apply for a CCW.... idiot!...right?
View Quote

IMO I had to provide a two forms of address from a monthly recurring bill and my DL had to be at that address. Not to say the livescan doesn't also verify that
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 2:38:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Take class

Schedule an appointment

Turn in packet

Wait

Wait some more

Keep waiting

Meet with deputy

Prove you live in the county

Show them your gun to prove the SNs match

Get fingerprinted

Pay

Wait

Receive piece of paper saying you're good to go.

From what I'm hearing, I think it's moving a little quicker now.

Shasta, FWIW
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 12:19:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wonder where he stands on freedom of information act requests ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I wonder where he stands on freedom of information act requests ...

FOIA is federal.  in CA, we have the Public Records Act, found in Government Code section 6250 et seq.

your point is a good one, though.

if an idiot in the media....

but you repeat yourself....
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:...They were basic questions (do you feel you are in more danger than the average person?
View Quote

what was your response?
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

yes.  and possibly a criminal, IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#28]
El Dorado County. Easy 8hr class, 3 appointments, permit. Less than 3 months iirc. Nice staff at the Sheriff's dept as well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
yes.  and possibly most definitely a criminal, IIRC.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

yes.  and possibly most definitely a criminal, IIRC.

Fix'd

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:15:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Remembered seeing this map of varying "shall issue" per county a while back. Not sure if this is updated.

CA CCW counties
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Remembered seeing this map of varying "shall issue" per county a while back. Not sure if this is updated.

CA CCW counties
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CA CCW counties

I believe there is a newer version but after a quick search I couldn't find it. CalGuns does have a forum section were they basically list CCW process by county, requirements, fees, accepted good causes etc.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#32]
The process for me was easy, I live in Tracy, San Joaquin county.

3/24/14. I called for the appointment.
4/23/14. Had my appointment at 2:00pm. This took 15 min
9/9/14. Had my phone interview.
9/16/2014 Approved.
148 days total for approval.
10/6/14 picked up permit after 16hr CCW course.

It was really easy. Once they get the process down from dealing with all the people I could see it taking a month to renew like in other states.
Only issue I have is I am only allowed three weapons on my permit. That is dumb for sure.

I edited to add. I used self defense as my reason.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

what was your response?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:...They were basic questions (do you feel you are in more danger than the average person?

what was your response?

sorry for the late response.

When I was asked that question back then I told them that, no, I did not feel I was in more danger than the average person.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top