Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2014 1:22:32 PM EDT
I'm a government employee and I live in Nevada but work in California.  With all the new security measures they have put out quite a few warnings to us to watch our backs especially because I work in emergnecy services.  Does California have any way to issue a CCW for out of state people?  I have my nevada CCW but the hour commute from home to work and then another back home I can't have anything with me because i'm going into california.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you are LEO cali does not honor or provide for ANY out of state residents for CCW. Sorry
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#2]
My thought -

If you keep a firearm in your car while commuting, be sure there are NO high capacity magazines (>10 rounds), not even in your trunk.  I think it's a felony.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#3]
You can't bring high cap magazines or guns that meet the Assault Weapon definitions in.  No way to get around those.  Off-list pistols and other pistols are good to go with CA legal magazines.

Read the stickies at the top to see transport requirements.  Pistols need to be unloaded and locked in a container out side the drivers compartment.  Ammo can be in the container and in a magazine.  Said "containers" can be flimsy as long as the lock holds it shut, if you can pull the lock off or tear it open, that's fine.

Long guns can be carried anywhere in the vehicle as long as they are unloaded.  Assault weapons are a big barrel of worms, you can't bring them in unless taking to a bona fide event.  Work doesn't count.

The reality is that being stupid while breaking the law is not a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Our installation LEO office is outisde the wire so we could in theory check our weapons at the gate so to say.  I was also joking with the commander one day and he indicated that he would sign off on CCW on base.  I never followed through with it because I didn't have a way to legally carry them between home and work other than locking them up.  I'm just looking for completely legal way of doing it so if CA doesn't allow CCW for out of state people then I guess i'm out of luck.

Just a random thought, I live in Nevada so I consider myself a nevada citizen.  I do however work in california so I am forced to pay california income taxes. Does that make me a california citizen as well?
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#6]
The word you are looking for is "resident" not "citizen".

You are a resident of Nevada but work in California.  I'll have to ask the wife about your tax situation.  I've forgotten how it works.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#7]
i did ask a lawyeer about the tax thing at one point and she said that if I were to chose to sue the california state tax board I might win the right not to have taxes taken out.  The reason behind it was that I live in nevada and work on federal property that ins't really in california, it's federal property.  I would be a little more Ok with paying CA taxes if I was allowed to have a CCW in California.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i did ask a lawyeer about the tax thing at one point and she said that if I were to chose to sue the california state tax board I might win the right not to have taxes taken out.  The reason behind it was that I live in nevada and work on federal property that ins't really in california, it's federal property.  I would be a little more Ok with paying CA taxes if I was allowed to have a CCW in California.
View Quote

You should contact the sheriff in the county you work in. Can't hurt to ask.

Tom
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Thats a good idea.  It is one of the counties that doesn't have a problem issuing permits.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I think some of those mountain counties have a low enough population that you can open carry without anything.

Tom
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top