Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2014 6:47:30 PM EDT
Hi Cali people. I'm coming to your state the first week of November for a work related conference.

I have read both handgunlaw.us and the sticky posted in this forum but given the length and wordiness of your laws, I just want someone that lives in Cali to give me a broad fact-check to let me know I'm interpreting what I can legally do in this situation. Right now, based on point #2 below from my understanding, it looks like I won't be bringing a handgun with me on the trip. If someone could please clarify it would be much appreciated.

I will flying both into and out of (on the way home) LAX.

My understanding of the law based on the sticky in this forum and handgunlaw.us:

1) Checking my XDM compact in luggage and bringing it with me for keeping in my hotel room (temporary residence) is not illegal.

2) However, my handgun has 11 round capacity magazines, purchased AFTER January 2000, so these are illegal to possess even if only loaded to 10 rounds.

Right now I interpret this to mean that I should not bring a gun with me on this trip to keep in my hotel room. If I'm wrong, let me know, cause I'd rather bring one if possible. If it's not worth all the trouble then I'll leave it at home. Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#1]

XDM pistol
Is OK to bring in, but
hi-cap mags are not

Or

unsafe pistols may
be brought into the state but
unsafe mags may not
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you buy 10-round mags for your handgun?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you buy 10-round mags for your handgun?
View Quote

I could, not willing to do that for one trip to CA though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Bring a revolver or 10 round mags
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Bringing the firearm is totally legal.  Just don't carry it on your person unless you are in your hotel room.  The lobby and probably the corridors are a public space and you should not carry your firearm there.

Do not bring any magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:03:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all. This was what I was afraid of. Just wanted to make sure I couldn't bring my 11 rounders downloaded to 10 and be okay. Obviously I cannot.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks all. This was what I was afraid of. Just wanted to make sure I couldn't bring my 11 rounders downloaded to 10 and be okay. Obviously I cannot.
View Quote

I'm not sure if this would work but I wonder if you could temporarily modify your mag to only hold ten rounds. Maybe a lego or something the right size at the bottom.

Anybody know?

Tom
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#8]
If legal to do,  (and I'm not sure it could be done) it would have to be a much more "permanent" modification, such as epoxying the block in such that the magazine would be destroyed taking it out.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If legal to do,  (and I'm not sure it could be done) it would have to be a much more "permanent" modification, such as epoxying the block in such that the magazine would be destroyed taking it out.
View Quote

My XD 45 california legal mag is just a 12 round mag with a thicker floor plate I think. It's the same length as a 12 anyway, came with the gun new.

Tom
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top