Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2014 2:56:07 AM EDT
Things have been picking up at work and I can't keep up with the democraps, was there a law recently passed where you can't bring firearms from out of state or buy firearms from out of state? If so, how does this affect a resident of another state (with that state drivers license, etc.) who is stationed in CA?

Pardon my ignorance.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I won't try to claim I have the codes at my fingertips... but if you think about it for just a minute...

If all you had to do is buy your guns out of state, their little safety list for handguns would be worthless wouldn't it? All you would do is step into NV or AZ and it would be easy.

It hasn't been easy to see exactly how to bring in guns which are transferred from family or inheritance for example, so rather than risk my list falling into some politicians hands, I stopped trying and left them far from here with my attny.
At that time, they had not yet banned many of those handguns, and it was still going to be difficult.

Now, I would hesitate to guess, but if I were to guess I would assume if the handgun isn't a model on their approved list it would be rejected regardless of how you came to posses it. If it is approved on their list, it appears that I would have had to go through a submittal of what amounted to the same level of documentation for a new purchase. This was all based on what I saw as hurdles to an inheritance and I passed on the risks.

As far as getting other types into CA, they mostly all come to your FFL before you get your hands on them and that gives you a chance to address "evil features" before you take possession (for example, bullet buttons, flash hiders, large cap magazines, etc.)
Out of state must follow the same if they are taking up residence. Passing through town or state is different than living and working here.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I won't try to claim I have the codes at my fingertips... but if you think about it for just a minute...

If all you had to do is buy your guns out of state, their little safety list for handguns would be worthless wouldn't it? All you would do is step into NV or AZ and it would be easy.

It hasn't been easy to see exactly how to bring in guns which are transferred from family or inheritance for example, so rather than risk my list falling into some politicians hands, I stopped trying and left them far from here with my attny.

At that time, they had not yet banned many of those handguns, and it was still going to be difficult.

Now, I would hesitate to guess, but if I were to guess I would assume if the handgun isn't a model on their approved list it would be rejected regardless of how you came to posses it. If it is approved on their list, it appears that I would have had to go through a submittal of what amounted to the same level of documentation for a new purchase. This was all based on what I saw as hurdles to an inheritance and I passed on the risks.

As far as getting other types into CA, they mostly all come to your FFL before you get your hands on them and that gives you a chance to address "evil features" before you take possession (for example, bullet buttons, flash hiders, large cap magazines, etc.)

Out of state must follow the same if they are taking up residence. Passing through town or state is different than living and working here.

View Quote

I am pretty sure that other states have to follow CA guns laws when selling to CA residents i.e. 10 day wait period even if long gun was bought in AZ. Also, federal law prevents you from buying pistols out of state if I recall correctly.

One of the ways people have been skirting the gun list is via the single shot exemption.

I had just heard a rumor that no guns could come from out of state anymore.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:27:52 AM EDT
[#3]
No sense worrying about rumors. You can go straight to the legislative page for what is about to go on the books, or even to the DOJ page for their version of the gun laws for CA

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:19:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Things have been picking up at work and I can't keep up with the democraps, was there a law recently passed where you can't bring firearms from out of state or buy firearms from out of state? If so, how does this affect a resident of another state (with that state drivers license, etc.) who is stationed in CA?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes.
He better get them in and registered before 1/1/15 if he wants to keep them there while serving or he will have to make do with what he is issued at the armory.

Quoted:

I am pretty sure that other states have to follow CA guns laws when selling to CA residents i.e. 10 day wait period even if long gun was bought in AZ. Also, federal law prevents you from buying pistols out of state if I recall correctly.

One of the ways people have been skirting the gun list is via the single shot exemption.

I had just heard a rumor that no guns could come from out of state anymore.

Actually the other state would have to make you unconstitutionally wait 10 days for your lawfully owned property and somehow enter you with your state's illegal registration scheme to make it legal, which is why you boys cannot typically buy firearms when traveling abroad..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top