Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2014 2:54:17 PM EDT
My daughter went out to Ca last weekend to visit some family (we are originally from SoCal). While out there, she got a ticket for her window tint being too dark.
What can she do about the ticket? She is not going to remove her tint (she just had it done about three months ago) and drive all the way back out there to go to court. So what are the options?

This is an Az car, if it matters.

Back in my day, the early to mid eighties, we'd fix whatever was wrong, hunt up a cop we knew, have him sign off on the ticket, and send it back to the court. Not really an option here.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Pay the ticket.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#2]
When I lived in NC they had restrictions on the window tint as well.  Cars from virginia would come down with limo tint or reflective tint all the time and a good firend who was a LEO said that they couldn't do anything because the vehicle was legal in the state it was registered.  If cars from AZ have to meet window tint requirements to be in california does that meen that they have to meet exhaust requirements and other california specific DMV rules while they are in the state?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pay the ticket.
View Quote

Just do this.

Should be cheap infraction with no impact on license.     Can try calling a CHP office for info on ticket cost and see if any inspection/correction notification can be waived.

For what it is worth some of the darkest tinted windows I have seen on vehicles are owned by cops.   That is personal experience from being in LE myself.

I wont write a ticket for tint alone.

Vehicle code is perfectly good legal probable cause for a stop and for a fishing expedition.   Getting a felon with a warrant off of something so stupid as a tinted window stop is pretty freaking cool.   Throwing a ticket on someone with a job and wasting/time money on average stand up folks isnt.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
When I lived in NC they had restrictions on the window tint as well.  Cars from virginia would come down with limo tint or reflective tint all the time and a good firend who was a LEO said that they couldn't do anything because the vehicle was legal in the state it was registered.  If cars from AZ have to meet window tint requirements to be in california does that meen that they have to meet exhaust requirements and other california specific DMV rules while they are in the state?
View Quote

This is what I was wondering. As far as I know, the tint is legal here in Az.

Pay the ticket may well be an option, but the court out there won't have any info on what the cost will be, until the ticket shows up on their computer. possibly as long as 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just do this.

Should be cheap infraction with no impact on license.     Can try calling a CHP office for info on ticket cost and see if any inspection/correction notification can be waived.

For what it is worth some of the darkest tinted windows I have seen on vehicles are owned by cops.   That is personal experience from being in LE myself.

Vehicle code is perfectly good legal probable cause for a stop and for a fishing expedition.   Getting a felon with a warrant off of something so stupid as a tinted window stop is pretty freaking cool.   Throwing a ticket on someone with a job and wasting/time money on average stand up folks isnt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pay the ticket.

Just do this.

When I was a teenager, it seemed like window tint and being too low were the main things we got pulled over for. Only knew two kids that got tickets for window tint, but several for the ride height being too low. Now that I'm old, I don't much care for tint, it makes it too hard  see while backing up at night.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:09:53 AM EDT
[#6]
My fiance got a tint ticket.

Went to the tint shop and had them take off the tint.
Went to station to verify there was no tint.
Went back to shop to have the put it back on for $40.

Whole process took 1 hour including drive. No wait at the station.

California law can be a hindrance sometimes but you can get by it quick if you just know the steps.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 6:27:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My fiance got a tint ticket.

Went to the tint shop and had them take off the tint.
Went to station to verify there was no tint.
Went back to shop to have the put it back on for $40.

Whole process took 1 hour including drive. No wait at the station.

California law can be a hindrance sometimes but you can get by it quick if you just know the steps.
View Quote

Problem is the out of state status.   If inspection of vehicle for confirmation of correction is required it is really a pain in the ass.   Unless issuing agency will accept an out of state officer going over vehicle.   At which point if I were an Arizona officer I would just look at the ticket and laugh not giving two craps about the violation.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input, one and all.
I suppose she'll have to wait until the Ca dept gets their stuff figured out so they can give her a price on the ticket, or a way to have it negated.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:58:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My daughter went out to Ca last weekend to visit some family (we are originally from SoCal). While out there, she got a ticket for her window tint being too dark.
What can she do about the ticket? She is not going to remove her tint (she just had it done about three months ago) and drive all the way back out there to go to court. So what are the options?

Back in my day, the early to mid eighties, we'd fix whatever was wrong, hunt up a cop we knew, have him sign off on the ticket, and send it back to the court. Not really an option here.
View Quote

Vehicle is registered in AZ?  Daughter has a AZ license?

If the answer to both of the above the cite should not have been issued.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This^^^^ as an AZ car it is legal. Request a trial by written declaration
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it was tinted heavily to counter the AZ sun, which is so much brighter than the CA sun, to the point it was dangerous, could it have been ticketed for safety purposes?  (No bozos need to respond inanely) Even if out of state license out of state driver and out of state registration.  I am well aware that common practice is take a pass on minor equipment violations, but say here where it is dangerously tinted (for the sake of the question) or say you get a dangerously raised truck, mega-bright headlights or extra lights?  (I can remember where a driver left his lowboy extending into SR 14 in Lancaster.  His load was large narrow gauge steam engine, everything out of state.  The CHP officer after driving around it in the traffic lane parked and went up and shook some of the chains , which fell off.  He got his book out, I expect, he got stuck there for some time.  So I assume in egregious cases, they will get cited.  Not assuming the op case was egregious)
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dick move, for sure, especially if she has both an AZ DL and AZ reg on the car.

OP, I would request a trial by written declaration, and at that point you can write to the court and a judge will read it. Scan a copy of your daughters DL, and the vehicle reg (both will match the citation), explain that she was just visiting and that window tint is legal in AZ.... and I'll bet it gets dismissed.  

I miss that part of living in AZ
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If it was tinted heavily to counter the AZ sun, which is so much brighter than the CA sun, to the point it was dangerous, could it have been ticketed for safety purposes?  (No bozos need to respond inanely) Even if out of state license out of state driver and out of state registration.  I am well aware that common practice is take a pass on minor equipment violations, but say here where it is dangerously tinted (for the sake of the question) or say you get a dangerously raised truck, mega-bright headlights or extra lights?  (I can remember where a driver left his lowboy extending into SR 14 in Lancaster.  His load was large narrow gauge steam engine, everything out of state.  The CHP officer after driving around it in the traffic lane parked and went up and shook some of the chains , which fell off.  He got his book out, I expect, he got stuck there for some time.  So I assume in egregious cases, they will get cited.  Not assuming the op case was egregious)
View Quote

Not positive but I'm thinking that since the load isn't actually part of the AZ/out of state registered vehicle it's fair game for cite by whatever state is being travelled through - similar to total vehicle length laws.  As an example triples aren't legal in CA but they are in NV & OR (those are the two I can think of right now).
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:54:23 PM EDT
[#14]
"Trial by written declaration". That is something I've never heard of. It sounds good. I'll tell her to look into it.

Car and her license are both Az.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just do this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pay the ticket.

Just do this.

That is exactly what CHP has been doing as of late.

Unless you were a total dirtball, for the most part, they would ignore tint. I have always had the side windows on my trucks tinted, only cited for it once over a decade ago. Have gotten a few speeding tickets since but never cited for no front plate or tint, despite always having both.

Since the first of this year they have been on a blitz writing tickets for it. In state, out of state, doesn't matter. They are writing everybody.
Source: The tint place who I went to have my windows tinted on my new truck. After hearing the story, I decided not to have mine done.
Sucks after driving 10+ years with tinted side windows to bake in the afternoon sun while stuck in traffic, and leave the interior of my truck visible to every shitbag thief who happens by when it is parked. I just do not want any attention from the cops. Amazes me how it can be 100% safe in AZ but such a deadly threat in CA. (kinda like guns).

Saw a car with AZ plates pulled over the other day for tint. At least I assume that is why, the car was stopped in front of me in traffic so it wasn't for speeding. Motorcycle cop rolled up on the passenger side, then dropped back and pulled em.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Unless you were a total dirtball, for the most part, they would ignore tint. I have always had the side windows on my trucks tinted, only cited for it once over a decade ago. Have gotten a few speeding tickets since but never cited for no front plate or tint, despite always having both.

Since the first of this year they have been on a blitz writing tickets for it. In state, out of state, doesn't matter. They are writing everybody.
Source: The tint place who I went to have my windows tinted on my new truck. After hearing the story, I decided not to have mine done.
Sucks after driving 10+ years with tinted side windows to bake in the afternoon sun while stuck in traffic, and leave the interior of my truck visible to every shitbag thief who happens by when it is parked. I just do not want any attention from the cops. Amazes me how it can be 100% safe in AZ but such a deadly threat in CA. (kinda like guns).

Saw a car with AZ plates pulled over the other day for tint. At least I assume that is why, the car was stopped in front of me in traffic so it wasn't for speeding. Motorcycle cop rolled up on the passenger side, then dropped back and pulled em.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pay the ticket.

Just do this.

Damn, I hate when I don't get these memos.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pay the ticket.

Just do this.

Hahaha.

Just going on the words of a guy who deals with it (from the other side) for a living.
Said tint removal was say, 10% of his business. As of the 1st of the year it suddenly became a solid 50% of what he does. In talking to his customers, he found that most were having it removed due to being cited by CHP, in talking to some of his clients who were LEOs (yup, lots of cops have illegal tint), he was told that they were cracking down on it.
Was told it is a nice easy cite, great pretext stop and without tint, it makes cell phone use easier to spot.

I cannot imagine he was lying, as he effectively talked me out of spending money with him. Never good for business to do that.

Tint laws are like suppressor laws. Never made any sense to me to make something illegal that protects people.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hahaha.

Just going on the words of a guy who deals with it (from the other side) for a living.
Said tint removal was say, 10% of his business. As of the 1st of the year it suddenly became a solid 50% of what he does. In talking to his customers, he found that most were having it removed due to being cited by CHP, in talking to some of his clients who were LEOs (yup, lots of cops have illegal tint), he was told that they were cracking down on it.
Was told it is a nice easy cite, great pretext stop and without tint, it makes cell phone use easier to spot.

I cannot imagine he was lying, as he effectively talked me out of spending money with him. Never good for business to do that.

Tint laws are like suppressor laws. Never made any sense to me to make something illegal that protects people.
View Quote

Tint is legal on everything but the driver, front passenger and windshield in CA.  If you're concerned about baking the interior of your car while it's parked or limiting prying eyes you can use removable screens.  IIRC, you can you use removable screens on the driver window while driving if you have a medical condition and a doctor's note/prescription - used to be permananently attached tint but it was changed.

It is an easy cite, great pretext stop although most cops I know don't cite for it since it's rolling PC and most people won't have it removed, and it does make it easier to spot cell phones.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I am not an LEO, which is who you requested to answer your question. But I too, had heard, and forgotten about the "Trial By Written Declaration". I am sure you will look it up on the I-net.

But a suggestion I have for you, is to PROVE current AZ residency with your Declaration paperwork. CA encourages snitching on people that live in CA, but hold registration, and residency paperwork for other states. (I know one who did this to lower his insurance premiums).

Get copies of gas company, electric company, city trash pick up bills, employment pay stubs, with her name and address on them, and submit them with your Declaration, to PROVE that your daughter is an AZ resident, and a CA temporary visitor.

If you are with a major insurance company, like AAA, then call them and ask about this, also call any CHP office in CA, try big city like Orange, or San Diego County, and ask if, as a visitor, this ticket can somehow be waived.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Tint is legal on everything but the driver, front passenger and windshield in CA.  If you're concerned about baking the interior of your car while it's parked or limiting prying eyes you can use removable screens.  IIRC, you can you use removable screens on the driver window while driving if you have a medical condition and a doctor's note/prescription - used to be permananently attached tint but it was changed.

It is an easy cite, great pretext stop although most cops I know don't cite for it since it's rolling PC and most people won't have it removed, and it does make it easier to spot cell phones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hahaha.

All the glass in my truck is tinted save for the side windows and windshield. Just planned on doing what I had on my previous two vehicles, a light tint on DS and PS window. Yes, it is illegal, but it used to be that they would let it slide, provided you weren't a hoodlum and it wasn't over the top dark. Have run all my vehicles this way, only cited for it once over a decade, shoot, over 15 years ago, and I kinda deserved it (I was at the street races).
Been cited twice by CHP in the last 8 years, both times for speeding (fast lane traffic flow, just my turn to pay). Neither cop said boo about the tint or the lack of a front license plate.
What do they do about new cars? A crapload of new vehicles come with tint on all side windows. My folk's new car has surprisingly dark tint, it came from the dealership that way, all the other cars on the lot were the same, I assume it was factory.
Perhaps this is a law that needs changed.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hahaha.

Historically tint places have made a lot of money installing tint as requested by the owner, without providing, shall we say, suggestions to avoid running afoul of the Vehicle Code.  Then they made money removing the illegal tint.  I believe, that there may now be some requirements residing someplace (probably in the Business & Professions Code and not the logical sections of the Vehicle Code.) that require tinting businesses to provide copies of relevant sections of the Vehicle Code.  The law never forbade applying the tint, just operating a vehicle with the tint applied.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:41:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

All the glass in my truck is tinted save for the side windows and windshield. Just planned on doing what I had on my previous two vehicles, a light tint on DS and PS window. Yes, it is illegal, but it used to be that they would let it slide, provided you weren't a hoodlum and it wasn't over the top dark. Have run all my vehicles this way, only cited for it once over a decade, shoot, over 15 years ago, and I kinda deserved it (I was at the street races).
Been cited twice by CHP in the last 8 years, both times for speeding (fast lane traffic flow, just my turn to pay). Neither cop said boo about the tint or the lack of a front license plate.
What do they do about new cars? A crapload of new vehicles come with tint on all side windows. My folk's new car has surprisingly dark tint, it came from the dealership that way, all the other cars on the lot were the same, I assume it was factory.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hahaha.

real factory applied tint used to be legal*, if somebody after factory applied it, dealers, distributor, etc then it could be illegal.  Not unlike delivering a car without front plates installed.  The dealer provides it and the customer gets to suck it up when cited.  (I'm pretty sure a little applied scholarship will provide a cross-section on how admired car dealers are.) *factory tint was applied to meet the laws.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:08:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I am not an LEO, which is who you requested to answer your question. But I too, had heard, and forgotten about the "Trial By Written Declaration". I am sure you will look it up on the I-net.

But a suggestion I have for you, is to PROVE current AZ residency with your Declaration paperwork. CA encourages snitching on people that live in CA, but hold registration, and residency paperwork for other states. (I know one who did this to lower his insurance premiums).

Get copies of gas company, electric company, city trash pick up bills, employment pay stubs, with her name and address on them, and submit them with your Declaration, to PROVE that your daughter is an AZ resident, and a CA temporary visitor.

If you are with a major insurance company, like AAA, then call them and ask about this, also call any CHP office in CA, try big city like Orange, or San Diego County, and ask if, as a visitor, this ticket can somehow be waived.

Good luck!
View Quote

Good idea. I would probably not have thought of that.  We live in the far eastern part of the state and see a lot of vehicles registered in NM for the cheaper registration fees.

Interesting info in here. Thank you all.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Factory applied tint film or factory "applied" tinted glass (as in it's part of the glass)?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been visiting that state for nearly 30 years and have never gotten pulled over and ticketed for it. Always had tinted windows. Had an inside source say they wont bother.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've been visiting that state for nearly 30 years and have never gotten pulled over and ticketed for it. Always had tinted windows. Had an inside source say they wont bother.
View Quote

They shouldn't
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:27:58 PM EDT
[#27]
OP'er,

If you are trying to prove residency see this:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=12001-13000&file=12500-12527

Is she old enough to vote?  See section 12505
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top