Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2014 7:37:54 PM EDT
I'm thinking of getting an M&P Shield for a new carry gun but I've seen mixed reviews so I wanted to shoot one first.

I called the local ranges from Yuba City to Chico and Down Range was the only one to have one for rent.

I explained to the guy on the phone why I wanted to rent it, asked his opinion of the gun and generally shot the shit with him.

He said to come on up and try it out.

So, today I drive the 30+ miles walk in and say I'd like to rent the shield.

He asks if I'm a member, no, then tells me they have a two party policy.

I am wtf is a two party policy. I need to have a spouse or family member with me to rent a range gun.

A month ago or so some asshole went into the other Chico range, rented a gun, and killed himself.

I asked if I could shoot my own gun and he said no problem.

I told him I have a ccw and would bring my gun in and leave it with him while I rented the shield.

No dice!

This is as bad os the over-reacting done by the gun grabbers after every shooting.

I'll never step foot in that fucking business again.  

Rant over.

Tom
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty lame, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have to do that because of insurance now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:53:13 PM EDT
[#2]
It would have been nice if he told me on the phone before I wasted 4 gallons of gas and an hour and a half of my day.

Tom

ps. My wife would have been with me if she didn't have a cold but thats beside the point.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:10:09 AM EDT
[#3]
A smart range employee might think to mention the  policies.

BTW most of the ranges down here have similar policies, I know the range here in town does, they've had a suicide.  Don't know about the insurance, that kind of makes sense.  I've seen and heard of worse insurance  policy requirements.  But it definitely has to do with preventing litigation.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:10:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It would have been nice if he told me on the phone before I wasted 4 gallons of gas and an hour and a half of my day.

Tom

ps. My wife would have been with me if she didn't have a cold but thats beside the point.
View Quote

Definitely should have told you before you made the drive.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Most shooting ranges are like that now, either need another person with you, been there before or be a member. You'd be surprised how many people show up, rent a gun for the day and off themselves right in front of everyone. It's a big liability. I think that just about every indoor range that I've been to in SoCal had someone kill or try to them selves with a rental.

ETA, most ranges will rent to you if you are alone, and you bring a firearm with you. You don't have to shoot it, it is just to prove to them that you are really there for target practice.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got off the phone with Safer Arms, the range in Chico where the incident happened.

I asked if their rental policy has changed since then and he said no.

He said it was an isolated incident and did not feel it would be fair to penalize other customers because of it.

So, if you want to shoot at a range in Chico, use Safer Arms. No kneejerk reactions there.

Tom
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you informed the owner of this incident?  If you haven't, I would.

Some free range time seems in order, or a free rental with paid range time, or,... something.

This is their screw-up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 3:32:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Although I remember either last year or the year before where some asshole brought his sister to the range with him and killed himself anyway.
View Quote

WTF?!? Poor sister
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#10]
They're pretty new, I wouldn't judge them based off the one incident. Call up the owner, ask for clarification on the rules and explain what happened the other day. You never know if it was an employee that was told the policy but didn't quite wrap his head around it.

In any case, if you don't mind driving a little further north, Nice Shot in Redding allows individuals to rent guns and lanes...AFAIK, call just to be sure

Link Posted: 10/10/2014 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They're pretty new, I wouldn't judge them based off the one incident. Call up the owner, ask for clarification on the rules and explain what happened the other day. You never know if it was an employee that was told the policy but didn't quite wrap his head around it.

In any case, if you don't mind driving a little further north, Nice Shot in Redding allows individuals to rent guns and lanes...AFAIK, call just to be sure  
View Quote

I sent an e-mail to the CEO and he didn't respond. The other range in Chico, Safer Arms,  is fine and they have not changed to a "two party" policy even with the suicide there. I went ahead and bought the gun and I'll shoot my own in a couple weeks.

If I'm ever in Redding I'll check it out but I can't imagine driving 100 miles just to get to a range. I can legally shoot in my back yard.

Tom
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Call up the owner, ask for clarification on the rules and explain what happened the other day. You never know if it was an employee that was told the policy but didn't quite wrap his head around it.
View Quote

I agree.

I looked on their web site and found no such provision anywhere.  I checked their "Rules" page especially carefully.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:37:20 PM EDT
[#13]
The two indoor ranges i go to have a bring a friend or bring a gun policy if you want to rent a gun.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I had my ccw and a gun with me. No dice. Wouldnt rent to me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#15]
That sucks. I'm not a big fan of indoor ranges. I've never shot in Chico. I've shot in shooters quite a few times back when Robert was alive. I'm not a fan of the new guys in there and have only shot in there twice in the last five years. I've got privet property to shoot on now.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That sucks. I'm not a big fan of indoor ranges. I've never shot in Chico. I've shot in shooters quite a few times back when Robert was alive. I'm not a fan of the new guys in there and have only shot in there twice in the last five years. I've got privet property to shoot on now.
View Quote

Shooters Paradise in Yuba City? Never been there. I was planning on going there when I pick up my sheild at SOS but they are closed on mondays.

Maybe another time.

Tom
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Let's look at this from a different perspective.

Anonymous poster logs on to  firearms related forum and posts unconfirmed derogatory information about a well known business.

Anonymous does not follow up with owner of business or take any other remedial measures.

I'm not sure what to do with a post like this.  Nothing personal, 4of5, it's just that I have become exceedingly cynical of these types of posts.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Let's look at this from a different perspective.

Anonymous poster logs on to  firearms related forum and posts unconfirmed derogatory information about a well known business.

Anonymous does not follow up with owner of business or take any other remedial measures.

I'm not sure what to do with a post like this.  Nothing personal, 4of5, it's just that I have become exceedingly cynical of these types of posts.
View Quote

I'm not sure what to think of this. Have you read my posts?

I sent an e-mail to the CEO the evening it happened (Wednesday) and received no response.

I tried to figure out a remedy with the employee. eg. I have my ccw, I had my own gun, etc.

As far as being anonymous, I'd be happy to tell you who I am. I'm 55 years old, self employed for 25 years, started hunting in 1968, and I'm pretty even tempered.

If I can figure out the IM thing I'll send you my info and you can do with it what you wish.

Sincerely, Tom
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm not sure what to think of this. Have you read my posts?

I sent an e-mail to the CEO the evening it happened (Wednesday) and received no response.

I tried to figure out a remedy with the employee. eg. I have my ccw, I had my own gun, etc.

As far as being anonymous, I'd be happy to tell you who I am. I'm 55 years old, self employed for 25 years, started hunting in 1968, and I'm pretty even tempered.

If I can figure out the IM thing I'll send you my info and you can do with it what you wish.

Sincerely, Tom
View Quote

Too much personal info, Tom.  You should consider deleting some or all of it.  

You've gotten a lot of sympathy from the others posters and we all agree.  I'd be hacked off, too.  I was looking at this from a different perspective.

I am just concerned about the negative reflection on firearms businesses and firearms, in general.  

I'm suggesting the proper way to deal with this is to work on a remedy with the owner (or other appropriate channels).  Perhaps, an agreement to update their web site to inform the public of this new rule (if it is a real rule and not just an overzealous employee).  Perhaps, ensure employees inform the public of the rule when they call with general inquiries.

If you are out possible remedies, well, it is their business and their rules.  

I'm suggesting you use the situation to work with the business to make a positive change rather than just bash them online.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top