Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2014 11:16:37 AM EDT
I know nothing of the AR-15 platform, but I'm 99.99% confident that the weapon I want is illegal.

I can have a 9mm AR pistol, or a 9mm AR rifle, but I can't put a bump fire stock or a vertical fore-grip on the pistol, and I can't have a short barrel on the rifle.

Looks like I'm going with the pistol and foregoing the Crimson Trace vertical foregrip laser sight. Sigh. Are there any more nonsensical 'gotchas' I should be aware of?

This will just be for plinking.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Why can't you have that?

build an sbr if you want a vert grip and bump fire stock.

Nothing illegal about what u want to do providing you don't live on a state that doesn't allow Sbrs

Ah now I see you are in CA hmm no idea what you should do then

I'd just do a 9mm pistol with a sig brace and have fun. Bump fires are kind of a waste of time anyway I mean they are fun but not an essential item by any means.

Also check out these subforums and welcome

pistol subforum

pistol caliber carbines

SBR subforum

California hometown forum
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#2]
STUPID CALIFORNIA. I feel for you.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#3]
But aren't SBRs NFA items that require approval and a tax stamp?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes. And prolly not gonna happen in CA.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#5]
You could make your own bump fire system using the thordsen pistol tube cover and a MIAD grip.  Probably as close as you can get without violating illegal laws.        

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Realized this after I posted id just put together a nice pistol
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#7]
The general consensus is that it is all but impossible to get the stamp to have a SBR here in CA.  I've asked my LGS and they snicker...and then get all glossy eyed, space out, and then space out dreaming of SBR builds (like we all do).

But I think the benefits (and fun) of a pistol build will outweigh the hinge-point of having a VFG.  At least that's where I'm at.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

We can't even do it here.
OP- what I do is just build things as close as I can to the limit while still legal. IE- 14.5 w/ pinned and welded A2X which makes it legal by .1 inches lol.
Just build a pistol, throw a sig brace on it, screw the slidefire theyre garbage anyways. And enjoy
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#12]
If you want an ar15 with a barrel shorter then 16" you have to get an ar15 pistol via SSE but you have to do it before 1/1/15. Check out calguns.net for some more info.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you want an ar15 with a barrel shorter then 16" you have to get an ar15 pistol via SSE but you have to do it before 1/1/15. Check out calguns.net for some more info.
View Quote

I didn't know what SSE meant so did some research. There is zero chance that I can swing a AR15 pistol before January 1st.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I didn't know what SSE meant so did some research. There is zero chance that I can swing a AR15 pistol before January 1st.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Then consider a pistol as a no-go. Honestly, a 16" carbine is more useful anyway in my opinion.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about just buying a lower registered as a pistol?  Can that still be done? Could do that for about $100, build the rest as you can afford it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What about just buying a lower registered as a pistol?  Can that still be done? Could do that for about $100, build the rest as you can afford it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can find a lower registered as a pistol that would be the best way. They are hard to find in Kali as you have to be exempt to initially acquire one stripped. You might want to look at building one out of an 80%.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top