Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2014 2:04:07 PM EDT
So anyone have experience with cars that don't meet CA emissions laws?

Will you get your car impounded if pulled over and they start snooping around?

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, being from out of state seems to help.

Told to get better mufflers.  

And it only took 45 mins.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, that makes sense.  I mean, what, with all the illegal immigration and terrorists flooding into the State, arsonists running around starting fires, robberies and murders, welfare fraud, domestic violence, child abuse, serial killers on the loose, illegal drugs being imported, sold and used,...  

Well, it only makes sense to enforce the provisions of the vehicle code on recent legal immigrants coming to California from another one of the United States looking for better times?

This is quoted from the DMV web site, a link there is also provided, below.

What do I need to do if I’m moving or moved out–of–state and will be registering my vehicle in the new state of residence?  

You must report a change of address to DMV within 10 days of the change. Use the Change of Address (DMV 14) form to notify the Department of a change of residence or mailing address for your vehicle, vessel, driver license, or identification card records. MARK the box labeled “check if registered outside of CA.”  Billing notices will not be mailed if this box is checked.

If you do receive a vehicle registration renewal notice, on the back of the stub, state the date the vehicle left California AND the name of the state where new registration was obtained, and return it in the envelope provided.  Failure to do so will cause any collection efforts, up to or including, wage garnishments or bank levies, to continue. Your record will be updated with the new information when DMV receives the notice. If you are moving out of the country and are going to export your vehicle by ship or air select this link here for more information.

If you still have questions, or need to obtain a form by mail, call DMV’s automated phone service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1–800–777–0133. To speak to an operator call between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday – Friday, Pacific Time.

Link to CA DMV
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, but what about people that are just "visiting"?

This happened to my son today in Malibu.  He just started school out there.

Seems like his car is too loud.  Which is weird as his school has kids with a bunch of wild cars.  He has noticed that the
cool cars are not registered in CA.

He said the Sheriff had him open the hood and inquired about mods.  This is very foreign for someone from
Texas by the way.  He was chastised, but it seems he was let go because a) he is not a resident and b) it is not his car (registered to me) and c) it has all the registration info in order from Texas.  He was told he has 90 days to make it quieter, which is gonna be a pain if we go down that path.  No tickets given tho.

How do you guys soup up cars in CA?   I'm talking cams, headers, reprogrammed, bored/stroked, high compression pistons etc etc. all on a late model auto.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#7]
As a matter of fact I have very recent experience.  My son's car was due for re-registration with smog check.  The re-check after repairs is Monday.  $400+ in repairs.  He's in Alaska.

If it's registered in CA it has to meet CA standards.  I believe if it was originally purchased out of state (a valid out of state purchase, not one to beat the system and/or taxes) and has existing modifications that would be illegal here but meets smog standards can get a referee to do an evaluation and potentially get an ok to remain as is.  There is a fairly good chance that a car that hasn't been radically modified will pass the emissions.  If it has been significantly modified and doesn't meet emissions, well you probably get to bring it up to snuff.

Check the DMV pages
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#8]
The last two times I've had cars done a a Star Station (test only) the plug in to the OBD under the dash, and I'm not sure if they even stuck the wand in the pipe..  They didn't put them on the treadmill.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pretty well actually. You just have to be smarter than a high school kid.

You do understand that car's aren't checked for the first five years of ownership and then only every-other-year after that. The first place I took my (completely legal) sporty car that's 8 years old and has less than 4,000 miles on it the guy pulled out a wrench to pull of the stock torque rod that runs from shock tower-to-shock tower under the hood. I asked him what the fuck what he doing under the hood with that wrench. He said he needed to peel the rod and engine cover off for inspection, I asked him to see the calibration on his torque wrench.

I don't think he knew what a torque wrench was.

I told him to fuck off and drove around the corner to another place who slide a sensor into the tail pipe and connected up to the ODBC reader. Perfect readings and got my certificate. The second guy was half the price that the first guy was going to charge. The guys know where to take their cars to get tested.
trimmed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:How do you guys soup up cars in CA?   I'm talking cams, headers, reprogrammed, bored/stroked, high compression pistons etc etc. all on a late model auto.

Pretty well actually. You just have to be smarter than a high school kid.

You do understand that car's aren't checked for the first five years of ownership and then only every-other-year after that. The first place I took my (completely legal) sporty car that's 8 years old and has less than 4,000 miles on it the guy pulled out a wrench to pull of the stock torque rod that runs from shock tower-to-shock tower under the hood. I asked him what the fuck what he doing under the hood with that wrench. He said he needed to peel the rod and engine cover off for inspection, I asked him to see the calibration on his torque wrench.

I don't think he knew what a torque wrench was.

I told him to fuck off and drove around the corner to another place who slide a sensor into the tail pipe and connected up to the ODBC reader. Perfect readings and got my certificate. The second guy was half the price that the first guy was going to charge. The guys know where to take their cars to get tested.
trimmed

Hey what do we do to Texans who come here and tells us, "Well that isn't the way we do it in Texas???"

For the most part we don't trick them up, and many of us don't like folks puking pollutants in to our air.

If you were here in the late 50's and early 60's, you wouldn't want to go back to those days to let people play with their toys.  We've got 3 times the people probably 5-8 times at a minimum miles driven and nowhere near the smog.  It's a lot nicer now.

I've gotten over the desire to see the air I breathe.  I now have faith it is there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't register the car here period. If he was cited I would simply just drive it back home, but sounds like he wasn't so really I wouldn't worry. As for what is legal, you can install any aftermarket part that has been C.A.R.B approved, which pretty much eliminates most of the unique cool stuff while allowing larger ticket items like super chargers to be legal. If the car is 2000 or newer, smog is simply a visual inspection for non-C.A.R.B. approved parts, OBDII scan and a sniffer test, they no longer put it on a roller. From my personal experience, if you go to a name brand smog place they will look hard during the visual inspection, while mom and pop shops that really only care about OBDII and sniffer are pretty easy to find. Failing a smog check will result in you having to go to test only station for the rest of the cars life most likely, and those stations tend be stricter as well, but again relaxed shops can be found.

Personally I found that a smog legal supercharger was a great way to cover up non-legal heads and cam

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well, that makes sense.  I mean, what, with all the illegal immigration and terrorists flooding into the State, arsonists running around starting fires, robberies and murders, welfare fraud, domestic violence, child abuse, serial killers on the loose, illegal drugs being imported, sold and used,...  

Well, it only makes sense to enforce the provisions of the vehicle code on recent legal immigrants coming to California from another one of the United States looking for better times?

This is quoted from the DMV web site, a link there is also provided, below.

What do I need to do if I’m moving or moved out–of–state and will be registering my vehicle in the new state of residence?  

You must report a change of address to DMV within 10 days of the change. Use the Change of Address (DMV 14) form to notify the Department of a change of residence or mailing address for your vehicle, vessel, driver license, or identification card records. MARK the box labeled “check if registered outside of CA.”  Billing notices will not be mailed if this box is checked.

If you do receive a vehicle registration renewal notice, on the back of the stub, state the date the vehicle left California AND the name of the state where new registration was obtained, and return it in the envelope provided.  Failure to do so will cause any collection efforts, up to or including, wage garnishments or bank levies, to continue. Your record will be updated with the new information when DMV receives the notice. If you are moving out of the country and are going to export your vehicle by ship or air select this link here for more information.

If you still have questions, or need to obtain a form by mail, call DMV’s automated phone service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1–800–777–0133. To speak to an operator call between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday – Friday, Pacific Time.

Link to CA DMV
View Quote

I've been getting nasty grams from VA after I moved from there telling me I have to provide documentation that I moved and registered the car elsewhere or proof it was sold.  No other state made me do that.  They said something about getting a ticket if I came back to the state.  Since I sold the car I'm not worried about it.  Now if they garnished my wages.....

But seriously, does CA actually track people down out of state to go after registration fees????  And where would they get the money for that?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The last two times I've had cars done a a Star Station (test only) the plug in to the OBD under the dash, and I'm not sure if they even stuck the wand in the pipe..  They didn't put them on the treadmill.
View Quote

What are they looking for in the OBDII port?  An aftermarket tune?  I've been thinking of getting one to go with my intake and exhaust.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:41:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What are they looking for in the OBDII port?  An aftermarket tune?  I've been thinking of getting one to go with my intake and exhaust.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will be looking for codes that tell them something is off and needs to be fixed. Most tuners will allow you to revert back to the factory tune for this reason. Also a good idea if going into the dealer as they have a knack at flashing computers with the most resent version and deleting your performance tune.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Seems like his car is too loud.  Which is weird as his school has kids with a bunch of wild cars.  He has noticed that the

He said the Sheriff had him open the hood and inquired about mods.  This is very foreign for someone from
Texas by the way.  He was chastised, but it seems he was let go because a) he is not a resident and b) it is not his car (registered to me) and c) it has all the registration info in order from Texas.  He was told he has 90 days to make it quieter, which is gonna be a pain if we go down that path.  No tickets given tho.

How do you guys soup up cars in CA?   I'm talking cams, headers, reprogrammed, bored/stroked, high compression pistons etc etc. all on a late model auto.
View Quote

It seems to me you have several different issues at play here.  

In my experience, the Malibu PD very aggressively enforces the vehicle code, especially so when it comes to young drivers.  

There are local noise ordinances.  Resident or not, he could be cited for violating these.  I know my City has an 89 dB(A) limit, above which, you are subject to citation.  There are a few signs posting this info.  There are also ordinances prohibiting "exhibitions of speed" and penalties for "erasure of tire marks".  A light foot on the gas pedal can help comply with this.  If he was showing off,...

Is he attending a public institution (school) paying resident tuition?  If so, he is considered resident of California.  If it's Pepperdine, it may not apply.  

Does he have an apartment or live on campus?  If he has an apartment, he may be considered a resident.  <-- You should double check this.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:09:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

For the most part we don't trick them up, and many of us don't like folks puking pollutants in to our air.

If you were here in the late 50's and early 60's, you wouldn't want to go back to those days to let people play with their toys.  We've got 3 times the people probably 5-8 times at a minimum miles driven and nowhere near the smog.  It's a lot nicer now.

I've gotten over the desire to see the air I breathe.  I now have faith it is there.
View Quote

When I was a kid, smog was so bad you couldn't see very far (I did not know there were local mountains until later).  Your eyes would burn, literally burn, in the mornings until you got used to it.

These days, when I see a moldy oldie, I am amazed at the fumes they emit.  It's an invisible cloud that persists long after the car has passed by.

I look at the emission control systems as a success.  It took decades, the early systems were terrible, but real progress has been made.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:49:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok here is the deal.  First mufflers have ZERO to do with emissions.  Ca state law says that a vehicles exhaust may not exceed 98db (I believe its 98, 92-98).  I know cause I have been popped for this even though I knew the exhaust I had was under the limit.  

When it comes to emissions there are CARB (California Air Resource Board) legal parts.  A lot of after markert parts are not legal in California.  Finding legal parts can be as hard or easy as you make it.  The hard route is checking the state website (its like searching the handgun roster A PAIN IN THE ASS).  The easy way is to check the part before you buy just look for CARB Legal or CARB approved.  There will be an approval sticker inside or placard on the part itself.  As long as the vehicle is not registered in this state, and you meet the home states requirements you are good to go.  However you are "supposed" to register the car with the state within 10 days of moving here.  As long as the vehicle does not stand out too much you should be ok.

As for whether or not your car gets a 2 speed dyno test, or a 2 speed idle test, that depends on which county the vehicle is registered in.  Some counties based on population require the a dyno test.

For the other poster who was not happy with a tech removing his strut bar, THAT'S HIS JOB.  In order to check all emissions systems they must check the EGR valve, which requires removing the engine cover.  The BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) loves to send undercover cars to places to see if they do it right.  A lot of lazy techs don't check function they just inspect visually.  Skipping an EGR check can lead to fine, or revocation of his license.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
 However you are "supposed" to register the car with the state within 10 days of moving here.  As long as the vehicle does not stand out too much you should be ok.

View Quote

I thought it was 20 days but either way they want you to register your car in CA even if you are here temporarily on business for longer than the time specified.

I got non-CARB parts and I'm not going to tell them when I move!  They don't own the rights to charge me registration for life pending opt-out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 12:44:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
First mufflers have ZERO to do with emissions.  Ca state law says that a vehicles exhaust may not exceed 98db (I believe its 98, 92-98).  I know cause I have been popped for this even though I knew the exhaust I had was under the limit.  

View Quote

They have everything to do with acoustic emissions, as your experience shows.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:14:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First mufflers have ZERO to do with emissions.  Ca state law says that a vehicles exhaust may not exceed 98db (I believe its 98, 92-98).  I know cause I have been popped for this even though I knew the exhaust I had was under the limit.  

you are correct sir.  State Ref confirmed that they were legal in my case.  Made the cutoff by 3 db.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:21:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Keep all the smog parts is how.

OBD1 cars are easier in some respects and harder at same time.

OBD2 cars will soon have the dyno/load test done away with in favor of a computer diagnostic check, basically checking computer to see if it has sensors turned off, a tune, or error codes.

My modded 95 Cobra in some ways is easier to smog than my 05 GT.     My 05 is due for smog this year, despite it passing last year when I bought it.   Eventually I am putting a CARB legal blower and tune on it but as of now I have to dick with its cold air intake.   See CARB certified the intake on my car for may of 2005 to june of 2006 Mustang GTs and my car was originally sold in 2004.   Oh it is a 2005 but the shops are so fucking afraid of CARB that they check a database against the build date on door label despite the registration showing the car is an 2005.

I had to get original parts back from original owner and have them off to the side if need be.

Never mind the car ran perfectly clean with its tune, air intake, and idle air delete plates.

Will the car pass visual?   Nope but it passes the sniffer just fine.    That is how stupid CA smog laws are.   Car is clean, proof is in actual sniffer.    But because it hasnt gone through thousands of dollars of smog cert taxes it isnt approved.

Other ways include knowing smog shops that are racer/hot rodder friendly.  Good luck finding those shops, they dont want to risk a business over getting one guy waived through.   Cant blame them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#21]
OK, first, sorry that some of my post herein came across as the nasty Texan railing on California.  While there was a slight amount of ribbing intended, I meant no disrespect.  I have a long history in California; I spent many summers in the late '60's early '70's in Red Bluff as a child.  Additionally my wife was born in Visalia and grew up in your great state.  And of course both my kids did/are doing undergrad there.  Suffice it to say that while I don't agree with your states onerous regulation of all things fun, I do love the place.

Best I can tell his ticket is for violation of CA code 27151(A).  Modified Exhaust, too loud.  They don't seem
to be going after him over emissions regulations as the car has valid inspections from Texas.  They seem
to be hating over the noise however.  (I agree the thing is too loud but he is 19 so I let it slide.)

They want him to fix the car, which we are willing to do.  We need to find a shop there that will work on the thing.
Does anyone know of a reputable shop in north LA, or slightly north of LA.  I think we need "new" cats and perhaps quieter mufflers.  He realizes he needs to do this to get along with the locals as he is planning to spend 4 - 8 years in the Malibu/north LA area.  Are shops less likely to be anal over regulatory fears since the car is from out of state?

As many on this thread likely realize the main fear we have is finding a reputable shop, therefore any leads will be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#22]
North Los Angeles, to me, refers to China Town, Hollywood and points north of there, possibly up to Glendale.  You probably don't really want this area.

I would say you need a shop in Malibu or over on "the west side" (Pacific Palisades, Santa Monica, Venice).  Alternatively, go north of Malibu, across the mountains (one of my favorite drives in So Cal), up into Westlake Village, Thousand Oaks, maybe even Calabasas.  Staying in those areas, you will almost certainly find what you need.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Alternatively, go north of Malibu, across the mountains (one of my favorite drives in So Cal), up into Westlake Village, Thousand Oaks, maybe even Calabasas.  Staying in those areas, you will almost certainly find what you need.
View Quote

That's the area I was thinking about.

He called me last night with a lead on a shop in Van Nuys.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Cats alone may quiet it down substantially.   My 95 with stock xpipe is a pussy cat with cats.   Becomes a bit more ibnoxious with offroad pipes at the track through flow masters.

Cat back exhausts are usually pretty easy to find depending on year of car.   Problem is many are to the side if being loud.   A custom muffler shop should ba able to weld OE style mufflers on for cheap or maybe just hit up a junk yard for the section from cats rearward.

Mkst of the LE stops for loud exhaust that I have seen are fishing expeditions.   Perfectly good legal PC to stop and see who the driver is for the violation.   Citation doesn get written because if the violation doesnt get fixed it can be used again for another stop later.   When they are cited it is usually a fix it ticket similar to a cracked window.

Malibu, i can see them citing for it even though factory cars like ferraris and aston martins are louder than shit when they uncork.   PCH is a fun drive.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OK, first, sorry that some of my post herein came across as the nasty Texan railing on California.  While there was a slight amount of ribbing intended, I meant no disrespect.  I have a long history in California; I spent many summers in the late '60's early '70's in Red Bluff as a child.  Additionally my wife was born in Visalia and grew up in your great state.  And of course both my kids did/are doing undergrad there.  Suffice it to say that while I don't agree with your states onerous regulation of all things fun, I do love the place.

Best I can tell his ticket is for violation of CA code 27151(A).  Modified Exhaust, too loud.  They don't seem
to be going after him over emissions regulations as the car has valid inspections from Texas.  They seem
to be hating over the noise however.  (I agree the thing is too loud but he is 19 so I let it slide.)

They want him to fix the car, which we are willing to do.  We need to find a shop there that will work on the thing.
Does anyone know of a reputable shop in north LA, or slightly north of LA.  I think we need "new" cats and perhaps quieter mufflers.  He realizes he needs to do this to get along with the locals as he is planning to spend 4 - 8 years in the Malibu/north LA area.  Are shops less likely to be anal over regulatory fears since the car is from out of state?

As many on this thread likely realize the main fear we have is finding a reputable shop, therefore any leads will be greatly appreciated.
View Quote

Local cops are going to recognize him/his car over time and he's going to need to register the car in CA.  The car will always be required to meet the emssions standards for the year of the vehicle - it may have the same equipment as a CA purchased car, it may not.  Depends on the year.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Local cops are going to recognize him/his car over time and he's going to need to register the car in CA.  The car will always be required to meet the emssions standards for the year of the vehicle - it may have the same equipment as a CA purchased car, it may not.  Depends on the year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Areas of Ca have officers assigned to just this specific issue regarding residency and vehicle registration.   Proximity to Los Angeles boosts the chances of running into said enforcement officers by an exponential amount.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Areas of Ca have officers assigned to just this specific issue regarding residency and vehicle registration.   Proximity to Los Angeles boosts the chances of running into said enforcement officers by an exponential amount.
View Quote

And DMV/CHP have programs/advertisements out for people to report improperly registered out of state vehicles belonging to CA residents.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:01:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And DMV/CHP have programs/advertisements out for people to report improperly registered out of state vehicles belonging to CA residents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention ratting out people you think have a gross polluter.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:53:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alternatively, go north of Malibu, across the mountains (one of my favorite drives in So Cal), up into Westlake Village, Thousand Oaks, maybe even Calabasas.  Staying in those areas, you will almost certainly find what you need.

Van Nuys is quite a drive from Malibu.  I wouldn't consider going that far for automobile service.  Thousand Oaks is a big town.  Santa Monica is much closer, too, and either one will have everything he needs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:51:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Local cops are going to recognize him/his car over time and he's going to need to register the car in CA.  The car will always be required to meet the emissions standards for the year of the vehicle - it may have the same equipment as a CA purchased car, it may not.
View Quote

That's not how the law that has been described to me.  Remember, he is a non-resident, student.  The car will never be registered in CA.  He will never become a resident of CA. (At least during the next 4 years.)

He does realize the need to comply because of him becoming recognized.

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:52:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The car is clean as a whistle pollution wise.  It's seen plenty of time on a dyno and it has been at the pipe.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:52:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Van Nuys is quite a drive from Malibu.  I wouldn't consider going that far for automobile service.  Thousand Oaks is a big town.  Santa Monica is much closer, too, and either one will have everything he needs.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:11:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That's not how the law that has been described to me.  Remember, he is a non-resident, student.  The car will never be registered in CA.  He will never become a resident of CA. (At least during the next 4 years.)

View Quote

If his residence is in California, like an off-campus apartment while attending Pepperdine, he is a resident.  

If he attends a California state-funded school, he is a resident.  

If his residence is in a dormitory on the campus of a private university, I'm not sure if he automatically becomes a California resident.  <-- You should research this.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If his residence is in California, like an off-campus apartment while attending Pepperdine, he is a resident.  

If his residence is in a dormitory on the campus of a private university, I'm not sure if he automatically becomes a California resident.  <-- You should research this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think Chas is right on this one, different rules for students.

Tom

eta: from DMV
Nonresident Students

A registered owner who is a nonresident student:
• 23 years of age or younger, a dependent, unemployed, paying nonresident tuition, and whose vehicle is currently registered in their home state, is exempt from California registration until one of the following occurs:

– They become 24 years of age.

– Their status changes.
• 24 years of age or older, fees become due on the date that occurs later. The date:

– Of entry.

– They became 24 years of age, if already in California.

The nonresident student must submit a Statement of Facts (REG 256) form, available at www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256.pdf, with the registration application declaring their residency status and the date they became 24 years of age.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Tom

Nonresident Students

• 23 years of age or younger, a dependent, unemployed, paying nonresident tuition, and whose vehicle is currently registered in their home state, is exempt from California registration until one of the following occurs:

– Their status changes.
• 24 years of age or older, fees become due on the date that occurs later. The date:

– Of entry.

The nonresident student must submit a Statement of Facts (REG 256) form, available at www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256.pdf, with the registration application declaring their residency status and the date they became 24 years of age.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tom

Nonresident Students

– Their status changes.

– Of entry.

don't get a job in CA is my takeaway from that
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#36]
More details from DMV web site:

California Resident
(CVC §516)
Any person who manifests an intent to live or be located in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis.
•Presence in California for six months or more in any 12-month period gives rise to a rebuttable presumption of residency.
•The following are evidence of residency for purposes of vehicle registration:
— Address where registered to vote.
— Location of employment or place of business.
— Payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education.
— Attendance of dependents at a primary or secondary school.
— Filing of a homeowner’s property tax exemption.
— Renting or leasing a home for use as a residence.
— Declaration of residency to obtain a license or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to a nonresident.
— Possession of a California driver license.
EXCEPTION: A nonresident student.
— Other acts, occurrences, or events that indicate presence in the state is more than temporary or transient.

Nonresident Student -
A student who is under 24 years of age, is a dependent, pays nonresident tuition, and is unemployed.
EXCEPTION: A student may be employed in a position required as part of the student’s educational field when the student’s earnings are directed toward his or her education rather than being taken as an income.
For example: A communications major working in a radio station or a medical student working in a hospital or laboratory.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
 <-- You should research this.
View Quote

His mom and my wife - an attorney - has done so.  Full time university students that are declared as dependents on their parents 1040 are seldom, if every, a resident when attending school in another state.  This include state schools.  Why do you think they have non-resident tuition?  That said, I'm always open to learning I am wrong about something.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
More details from DMV web site:

California Resident
(CVC §516)
Any person who manifests an intent to live or be located in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis.
•Presence in California for six months or more in any 12-month period gives rise to a rebuttable presumption of residency.
•The following are evidence of residency for purposes of vehicle registration:
— Address where registered to vote.
— Location of employment or place of business.
— Payment of resident tuition at a public institution of higher education.
— Attendance of dependents at a primary or secondary school.
— Filing of a homeowner’s property tax exemption.
— Renting or leasing a home for use as a residence.
— Declaration of residency to obtain a license or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to a nonresident.
— Possession of a California driver license.
EXCEPTION: A nonresident student.
— Other acts, occurrences, or events that indicate presence in the state is more than temporary or transient.

Nonresident Student -
A student who is under 24 years of age, is a dependent, pays nonresident tuition, and is unemployed.
EXCEPTION: A student may be employed in a position required as part of the student’s educational field when the student’s earnings are directed toward his or her education rather than being taken as an income.
For example: A communications major working in a radio station or a medical student working in a hospital or laboratory.
View Quote

Interesting.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I am just trying to identify the "triggers" which could cause him residency issues, so they can be complied with or avoided, as you see fit.

Plus, I learn new stuff along the way.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:52:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I am just trying to identify the "triggers" which could cause him residency issues, so they can be complied with or avoided, as you see fit.
View Quote

And a frustrating part of issues like residency is that there are multiple places, seemingly unrelated places, where you can be "triggered".

At any rate I do appreciate the discourse with you guys.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:35:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And a frustrating part of issues like residency is that there are multiple places, seemingly unrelated places, where you can be "triggered".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could give less of a crap if your kid ever gets residency in this god forsaken state.

It isnt like the state gives two shits about going after the illegal aliens it seems to openly cater to.

Hope he gets a good education and does what every smart person does, get the hell out.    I got about 20 more years before the option presents itself to me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I could give less of a crap if your kid ever gets residency in this god forsaken state.

It isnt like the state gives two shits about going after the illegal aliens it seems to openly cater to.

Hope he gets a good education and does what every smart person does, get the hell out.    I got about 20 more years before the option presents itself to me.
View Quote

OK, you've made me curious, why wait 20 years?

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So he'll have something to bitch about? If he hates it that much he should get the fuck out!

Tom
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top