Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/17/2014 4:55:46 AM EDT
King fire.  Burning toward home.  Got a Liberty Presidential full of guns, ammo, and SCUBA gear at my folk's place.  Folk's already evac'd.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Hope it misses their home
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to get in ASAP to open the safe and oil the he guns and dry the wood after the fire.

Fireproof safes release moisture when hot.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Hope it misses the place altogether.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have to get in ASAP to open the safe and oil the he guns and dry the wood after the fire.

View Quote

That brings something to mind - how do you get in if you have an electronic keypad?  The keypad is going to be gone, burned to a crisp or melted in the fire.  Do locksmiths have spare key pads readily available?

This would be a good reason to buy a combination lock rather than an electronic lock.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That brings something to mind - how do you get in if you have an electronic keypad?  The keypad is going to be gone, burned to a crisp or melted in the fire.  Do locksmiths have spare key pads readily available?

This would be a good reason to buy a combination lock rather than an electronic lock.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Ft. Knox has both, one of the reasons I bought it. That and the 120 minute 1680 deg. fire rating.

Tom
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Smoke cloud is looking pretty big from Sacramento. Any update on your parents place?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:26:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Good Luck.

A close family friend has family up in Weed, and they made it through.

As far as mechanical combination locks go check with the safe manufacturer and maybe the lock manufacturer, some mechanical locks not designed to go  on fire safes and one of their anti-theft features are some internal parts are made of bismuth or a bismuth alloy that melts disabling the lock when a torch is used
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:01:35 PM EDT
[#11]
hope it misses them, i have some acreage up in that area and so does my gf, luckily it hasnt spread towards grizzly flats yet.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:44:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
...and if my house (three blocks from the fire station) burns down I'll have more to worry about than entering my gun safe.
View Quote

Never be to sure about that... This happened in my hometown within view of the fire station.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Cause-Sought-In-Petaluma-Feed-Store-Fire-3302586.php
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:20:19 AM EDT
[#13]
So far so good.  Parents mandatory evacced.  Yubanet shows fire moving toward ranch, last position was about a mile away.

On a plus note, no structures have been lost so far.  I'm hoping this holds.

caser--thanks for the word on the safe.  I hadn't known that.

Lock is mechanical Sargent and Greenleaf.  Safe was purchased in 1996, Liberty Washington.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Never be to sure about that... This happened in my hometown within view of the fire station.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Cause-Sought-In-Petaluma-Feed-Store-Fire-3302586.php
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...and if my house (three blocks from the fire station) burns down I'll have more to worry about than entering my gun safe.

The biggest fire station in Weed is the VFD located on the grounds of the Roseburg Mill.  The fire is reported to have started at the mill.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Ranch burned, but EFN reporting no structures lost.  Not sure what that means.  Fire blew up last night...from 8000 acres to 70000.

Supposedly caught the guy who started it.  Arson suspected.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The biggest fire station in Weed is the VFD located on the grounds of the Roseburg Mill.  The fire is reported to have started at the mill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Boles fire in Weed supposedly started on Boles street, about 3/4 mile south of the mill. Blew right through town and the mill and more town.

That had to be scary as hell to be in the middle of that.

Tom
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ranch burned, but EFN reporting no structures lost.  Not sure what that means.  Fire blew up last night...from 8000 acres to 70000.

Supposedly caught the guy who started it.  Arson suspected.
View Quote

Six Tigers, Where is the ranch located? I used to travel through there often.

Hope all ends well.

Tom
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't know if you've seen this map. Looks like an overlay on google earth.  Zoom and pan.

https://mapsengine.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zdKyl7kg4VB4.kzoGHac5DqbE

eta: never mind, I see it's on the yubanet site.

Tom
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:15:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hope all ends well.

Tom
View Quote

Thanks, Tom.

North of Hiway 50, about a 1/2 mile...but with the way the mountains are, it's about a 20 minute drive from Riverton--same exit as if you were going to Ice House/Loon Lake/Union Valley Reservoir.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:15:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow--the guy they caught?  Judge set bail at $10 MILLION.  I think they want this guy.

Link here (Reno Gazette/Journal)
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:39:30 AM EDT
[#22]
From a Fresno native, now living in green West Virginia, y'all stay safe out there. I'll be back in hot and dry Fresno next month.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wow--the guy they caught?  Judge set bail at $10 MILLION.  I think they want this guy.

View Quote

I hadn't heard about it being arson.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#24]
On the 50 E now headed to the fireline, a lot of resources here. Hopefully it does miss your house. From my experience with the Cedar and Witch fires in SD County, only thing standing when a house is fully engulfed is the chimney. wildlandfire.com hotlist has good updates on the fires burning in CA
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks, Tom.

North of Hiway 50, about a 1/2 mile...but with the way the mountains are, it's about a 20 minute drive from Riverton--same exit as if you were going to Ice House/Loon Lake/Union Valley Reservoir.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope all ends well.

Tom

Thanks, Tom.

I know the road well, for a 4 or 5 years stretch I think I spent more of my time in the summer on the Rubicon than I did at home. Rugged, beautiful country up there. Hope they make it through okay.

Tom
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Arrest them (arsonists) and try them.  If found guilty, burn them at the stake.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#27]
From the King Fire facebook page about ten minutes ago:

We have confirmed that structures have been damaged or destroyed in the White Meadows area. As soon as possible, we will have damage assessment teams enter the area to complete a full assessment and determine the type and number of structures affected. To obtain additional information from the County CAO’s office, residents can call 530-642-7263 or email [email protected].

Hope this isn't your family.

Tom
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah...apparently it was.  Confirmed by neighbor who watched it burn with firefighters...lost everything.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yeah...apparently it was.  Confirmed by neighbor who watched it burn with firefighters...lost everything.  
View Quote

Sorry for your families loss
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Sorry.  :(
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I am so sorry. Such a terrible, needless loss. If there"s anything we can do...

Tom
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:17:02 PM EDT
[#33]
here's one arsonist.  he lit the fire because he was mad at somebody who owed him money for some speed.  http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/29/local/la-me-old-fire-sentencing-20130129

had that POS been previouisly executed for violent felonies, the fire would not have happened.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Damn. Keep us updated.

IM sent.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:54:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Made the link hot, as it is worth reading.

Link to news article

This guy should also be burned at the stake.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have they let your folks get back to their place yet?
Very sorry to hear what happened and why.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. Just got off the phone with mom. It's all gone.  Tractors, trucks, cars, barn, house, spring house, generators...there's literally nothing left.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#39]
So very sorry to hear it.

I hope the pain will pass for your folks soon. No doubt this was an unnecessary tragedy.

I don't have much experience with this sort of thing cause in the cases where my friends were wiped out, they had no safe. Does the family have the ability to go in after the safe at this point, or does the law or insurance have to be there too?

It seems like it would make sense that it needs to be a safety consideration, but before too long they should probably be allowed to go see if they can save things like fire safes.

Again, very sorry for you and your folks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Shit bro, hope insurance covers it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#41]
No insurance--homeowner's, anyway. Can't get homeowner's insurance up there due to fire hazards.

Guess I'll find out how good the NRA insurance is.  

Haven't seen it yet, leaving early tomorrow morning to survey.  From what I hear, there is no way the guns survived.

Dad says there isn't a square foot of house or barn that wasn't completely wiped out.  Had a large pond, four feet deep--dry and baked.

I don't think the safe is rated for that kind of heat.  Liberty Washington, bought in 1996.

The shitty part about the guns:  most are not replaceable anymore in California.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
No insurance--homeowner's, anyway. Can't get homeowner's insurance up there due to fire hazards.

Guess I'll find out how good the NRA insurance is.  

Haven't seen it yet, leaving early tomorrow morning to survey.  From what I hear, there is no way the guns survived.

Dad says there isn't a square foot of house or barn that wasn't completely wiped out.  Had a large pond, four feet deep--dry and baked.

I don't think the safe is rated for that kind of heat.  Liberty Washington, bought in 1996.

The shitty part about the guns:  most are not replaceable anymore in California.
View Quote

I don't know what to say, thats a tough break.  At least your folks are ok.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Sorry to hear what happened.  That really sucks about the insurance. I thought everyone could be covered for at least the structure.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Very sorry for you and your families loss.  

It's forecast to rain on Wednesday through Friday.  Maybe.

I know it's probably not real high on your priority list but don't give up on the guns.  I've seen houses burn down around safes, I've pulled intact weapons from the ashes.  I mean there's a chance. Not a good one, but you'll not know until you see for yourself.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm real sorry to hear of your loss.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#48]
A little slide show/video of the King fire if anybodys interested.

Video for 9/15 thru 9/17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FxgfDSXY70&feature=player_embedded

Video for 9/18 thru9/23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ-HD-rBaNQ&feature=player_embedded

Tom
eta: updated video
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Been a busy few days.  Spent four days at home, two of which were getting up and coming back.  Was only able to get onsite for a half-hour or so on the morning we left: Area was still active, and they weren't letting anybody into the area.  Finally got to see the damage on the morning of the day we left.
At the request of my parents, I won't post any photos of the damage to the rest of the property.  They're pretty private people.

This was a Liberty Presidential series safe that stood proudly in the front corner of the house.

Front:

Left side:

Rear:

Right:

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#50]
When will you be able to open the safe? Were you able to take it home? I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Tom
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top