Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2014 10:36:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I feel your pain, koi aren't cheap. IMO get a trail camera and figure out what you are dealing with. Up here it's usually large birds like the great egrets and raccoons as we'll. I see coyotes but they've never gone for the koi here that ive seen.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I vote raccoon.

Try cat food and other left overs in the trap and just keep trying.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd guess raccoon, too.  They're strong, smart, love to eat fish (or anything), have teeth to bite thru the ties.  They leave a distinctive foot print, if the ground is soft enough.

From Wikipedia:

Two of the raccoon's most distinctive features are its extremely dexterous front paws and its facial mask, which are themes in the mythology of several Native American tribes.

Raccoons are noted for their intelligence, with studies showing that they are able to remember the solution to tasks for up to three years.

The diet of the omnivorous raccoon, which is usually nocturnal, consists of about 40% invertebrates, 33% plant foods, and 27% vertebrates.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I vote racoons too. I see them in the valley where I live, and it's a good little hike to the stream for their water.

I have also seem them really tear a fishing boat apart trying to find the source of the fishy smell.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Raccoons around here love hardboiled eggs, works good for trapping.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#8]

I've seen these guys near and on top of my house and had to super reinforce the wire screen trap door for my foundation entry. They bent the crap out of the heavy wire mesh trying to get in. I also found lots of animal turds under my house so I know that they used to live under there.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's another vote for racoons.

Back when my grandparents were still around, they went through hell keeping those fuckers out of their pond over near Mt. Roubidoux.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#10]
raccoons.  the do love a koi pond.

time for a cheap game camera.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:28:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought about a raccoon but I don't think there's enough water ... look around at the neighbor's swimming pools ... they have the dexterity and are way smart ... possibility.
View Quote

You have a Koi pond.  All by itself, that's way more than enough water.  They are not beavers and are not aquatic.  

They infest the camp sites along the PCH near Camp Pendleton and there's essentially no fresh water there.  

We have them in our area but the neighbors have a pool and we have a storm surge basin where they live.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:40:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:05:13 AM EDT
[#13]
How deep is the pond/pool?

Fish need fairly deep water to avoid predators.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:13:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#15]
sausage?  are you trying to catch Larry the Cable Guy?

maybe try a whole tilapia from the local mercado.  or cat food.  my neighbor has raccoons living in a tree in front of his house, he says they come down at about 9 pm to eat his cat's food.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Chupicabra!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#17]
If it is a raccoon a standard cat trap will work but you must get to it right away
I was trying to catch a skunk and got a raccoon in mine and he destroyed it and got out
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Paul I'm thinking racoon is the correct idea, but do not forget bobcats.   Bobcats can tear up a lot of stuff and are very strong.   I have one creeping our neighborhood right now going after the large covey's of quail in our backyards.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#19]
My brother had this problem. Same thing, koi pond in front yard. Turned out to be racoons. He lives in San Jose.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm using a Have-A-Heart and I've caught possums with it (several!).

Nothing last night using a hot dog.

If I put out cat food I'm almost certain to catch a neighbors cat and that would be bad ya' know.
View Quote

Go ahead and use some cat food. If you catch the neighbors cat, turn it loose! They usually learn from one night in the trap.

The problem with raccoons is that they learn fast too. If they've been caught and released once, not likely to get trapped again.

That being said, I've caught lots of them on my patio. The only way to ensure they won't come back is to release them to their final resting place.

Good luck, Tom
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:25:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:32:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
... something ate the two quarter pieces of the hot dog bait and stopped prior to hitting the release plate to get to the other two pieces.
View Quote

I also found that.  I had to close off one of the ends and put the bait in that closed end.  They'll step on the release plate as they go in to the end to get the bait.

It may also help disguise the trap by placing it in a laid-down trash can.  Also, don't handle the cage more than necessary - it leaves scent.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 4:39:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Say...have you lost any jewelry lately?

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Paul, put a whole tilapia in there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Say...have you lost any jewelry lately?

View Quote

LOLOLOL!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I also found that.  I had to close off one of the ends and put the bait in that closed end.  They'll step on the release plate as they go in to the end to get the bait.

It may also help disguise the trap by placing it in a laid-down trash can.  Also, don't handle the cage more than necessary - it leaves scent.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... something ate the two quarter pieces of the hot dog bait and stopped prior to hitting the release plate to get to the other two pieces.

quarter pieces of hot dogs?  I didn't know retired pay was that skimpy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#30]
need bait for Coons ?.............Crawfish..........
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Crawfish,... in California?  Oh wait, I'll go out back into the estuary (swamp) and get some.

This is California, dude.  Out here the closest thing we have to crawfish is shrimp,...purchased from the grocery store.  

Doh!, Now I got ya.  Buy some shrimp; make some scampi, feed to raccoons.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Crawfish,... in California?  Oh wait, I'll go out back into the estuary (swamp) and get some.

This is California, dude.  Out here the closest thing we have to crawfish is shrimp,...purchased from the grocery store.  

View Quote

Hah! Right about now you can't hardly drive down any country roads around here without running them over.

A friend brought us 10 gallons of crawDADS last week. (My Cajun relatives laughed like hell when they heard us call them crawdads)

Tom
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:32:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Call around, you can probably find a tackle shop that carries some. If that fails, go find a park with a shallow lake. Most of them in Orange County have plenty of mud bugs for the takin' right now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Paul, put a whole tilapia in there.
View Quote

Actually, this is not a bad idea.  I too would think raccoon.  A friend had a koi pond on her property and raccoons ate all of them as well.  Otherwise, buy a few cheap small koi and that may attract whatever ate them before.  Good luck Paul and hope you find out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#35]
The father-in-law of a friend of mine had a similar issue - It turned out to be a Great Blue Heron.

He got permission from F&G to kill the bird, because they were too busy to capture and relocate it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#37]
There were crawdads in the outflow/containment basin of a natural spring in "The Arroyo" when I was growing up in South Pasadena, I saw them in the stream in Ferndale in the 50's and 60's, and in the drainage ditches in Escondido before they came in to the 19th century in the late 20th century.

Never in enough quantity to make collecting for a feed worthwhile.  Spect there were some areas you could.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 2:12:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Funny story. My old man has a backyard pond that was once filled with a couple of juvenile koi fish. Last year, he told me he was sitting outside on his patio deck, downing a brewski, when he had to suddenly use the head. When he walked back outside after using the restroom, he saw a huge Crane standing in the pond. He told me he was just standing there admiring the bird. The bird flew away and he started doing something else around the house. Later on, he was walking by the pond and noticed that the fish were gone. Then it hit him. That fucking bird consumed his koi fish. He lives in a large suburban neighborhood.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:20:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There were crawdads in the outflow/containment basin of a natural spring in "The Arroyo" when I was growing up in South Pasadena, I saw them in the stream in Ferndale in the 50's and 60's, and in the drainage ditches in Escondido before they came in to the 19th century in the late 20th century.

Never in enough quantity to make collecting for a feed worthwhile.  Spect there were some areas you could.
View Quote

Growing up in Mira Mesa (SD), while as a kid (before all the over development)  we would catch then in the canyons.  They were plentiful and attracted allot of raccoons to the area.   Believe or not,  the west end of the community was grassing pastures for cows.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Me and my friends used to catch crawdads all the time in the creeks and lakes in the North Bay area.

Paul: Sprinkle a little flour around the pond to get the animals paw prints.

Makes for easy ID.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Just make sure you are ready for whatever comes into that trap.

Bobcats and trapped koons can get mean. Any chance it could be a small bear for that matter? They are smarter than they get credit for too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Lay trash can on its side.

Insert and set trap.

When animal trips trap, you tip the trash can back up into an upright position, trap, animal and all.

Fill trash can with water and wait.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top