Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2014 12:24:35 AM EDT
Hello Folks,

Well about about to commit the biggest crime by giving up majority of my gun rights and pleasure, moving from AZ to CA for work.

I have several questions that need clarification.

1) Can I bring any pistol with me from AZ to CA as long as I dont bring the standard size mags over 10rds capacity, even if this pistol is not on approved CA list (Does not have any additional safeties features to be CA compliant)? For example Springfield 1911 loaded, glock 19, M&P9, Sig P227. Savage 10 308.

2) When I register the firearms, is it $19 per firearm or flat fee per registration form as long as done at same time?

3) How difficult is it to obtain a CA CCW assuming I have no record and posses an AZ ccw.

This is what I found on oag.ca.gov

You are considered a personal firearm importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your California-legal firearms with you, but you must report them all to the California Department of Justice within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Report of Firearm Ownership (BOF 4542A), pdf. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machine guns, or assault weapons into California.

However, can you please elaborate, answer my questions and even better provide the official text from that website if possible.

Thank you
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:35:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:37:44 AM EDT
[#2]
You can bring in any handgun, buy any handgun you want before moving in.
Mags go to mag blocks and convert your mags before you come.
For CCW that really depends on the county you plan to move to. I live in Sacramento which is shall issue if you fallow the rules. Some counties are still no issue though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:13:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Continuing to read on CA laws I came across Single Shot Exception term, what does it mean, what the purpose of it and does it apply to me bringing pistols from AZ?

I will be moving to Nor Cal around Hayward area.

Is it difficult to buy/find 10rd mags in CA at normal prices for example g19, M&P9 or any other mags?

Any other  recommendations, items, flashlight attachments, lasers etc.. I should bring with me that are not allowed in CA for purchase.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:16:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Dang that sucks that I have to pay $19 per pistol that I already own. Does this apply to rifles and shotguns as well?

Man Im already starting to regret for deciding to move to wonderful state of CA :)
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:25:39 AM EDT
[#5]
How about bring in ammo with me are there any limits, restrictions?

Also can I reload my own ammo in CA?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:00:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

no (except pistol AP)

yes (assuming you can find components and/or have them shipped to you.)
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#7]
no tracer ammo, no incendiary either.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:01:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Any other  recommendations, items, flashlight attachments, lasers etc.. I should bring with me that are not allowed in CA for purchase.
View Quote

if we are not allowed to have it, we are not allowed to bring it in either, generally.  the big exception here is handguns; we have a list of approved handguns.  not on the list, cannot buy (unless LEO).  BUT a person moving in can bring unlisted handguns with him.  if there is a HG you have been wanting, buy it now and bring it in legally as a"personal firearms importer."

which city will you be moving to?  
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Will be moving to Hayward area.

Can I buy these magazine cap blocks http://www.magazineblocks.com/magento/glock-19-magblock-10-15-9mm.html for my standard cap mags and be CA compliant, or even with these limiters I cant use my 15rd mags?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:06:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:07:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:08:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:12:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:26:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Continuing to read on CA laws I came across Single Shot Exception term, what does it mean, what the purpose of it and does it apply to me bringing pistols from AZ?

I will be moving to Nor Cal around Hayward area.

Is it difficult to buy/find 10rd mags in CA at normal prices for example g19, M&P9 or any other mags?

View Quote

AFAIK obtaining a CCW is almost impossible in any of the 9 Bay Area counties.  Frankly, you are moving to one of the strongholds of stupid Commiefornia BS.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:36:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I can see how it feels criminal to move here. Perhaps you should reconsider moving here and stay in AZ. Is someone forcing you to come here? It seems to me that as much as you hate moving here, CA is providing you some type of employment (based on what you said about work) which you obviously view as more important than firearms.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Will be moving to Hayward area.

Thanks
View Quote

well the area is beautiful, the weather is cool and awesome, but you will indeed be in a liberal stronghold.  not quite the 9th pit of lefty lunacy hell (SF) but next to it.  you can get a CCW, all you need to do is be a cop....
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The $19 handgun registration fees apply to all handguns including those that are rifles and shotguns. Wait. No. The handgun registration is only for handguns.

It's not too late to change your mind and not come here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dang that sucks that I have to pay $19 per pistol that I already own. Does this apply to rifles and shotguns as well?

Man Im already starting to regret for deciding to move to wonderful state of CA :)

The $19 handgun registration fees apply to all handguns including those that are rifles and shotguns. Wait. No. The handgun registration is only for handguns.

It's not too late to change your mind and not come here.

The reason why I asked if rifles and shotguns also have to be registered and there was a fee of $19 per any firearm is because I stumbled on this form that lists all 3 categories of firearms. https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/ab991frm.pdf? and you have stated that registration is only for handguns? Just wanted to make it clear.

Thanks

I know there is always a choice, however, I have to move to CA for career advancement. I dont like the gun laws there, but thats something I will need to live with for some time.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No incendiary/tracer or armor piercing pistol ammo (whatever that is).

Do you have a press and the rest of the gear? If so, yes. My local city limits me to 25 pounds of power ... as if I could ever reload that many cartridges in a night.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

No incendiary/tracer or armor piercing pistol ammo (whatever that is).

Do you have a press and the rest of the gear? If so, yes. My local city limits me to 25 pounds of power ... as if I could ever reload that many cartridges in a night.

Yes I have the press and all I need to reload 308win. Do most of the online stores like brownells, SMG, cabelas ship reloading components (brass, primers, projectiles, powder) to Hayward, CA?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#20]
it's impossible unless you're a polician, cop, judge, or body guard to a movie star - just as the 2nd Amendment intended.

Sarcasm? I hope.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes I have the press and all I need to reload 308win. Do most of the online stores like brownells, SMG, cabelas ship reloading components (brass, primers, projectiles, powder) to Hayward, CA?
View Quote

I think so, but you may want to call the Chabot range to ask.  they are local to Hayward, and will know.  I understand it is a nice place.  http://chabotgunclub.com/

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:04:42 AM EDT
[#22]
I was born an raised in the East Bay, Hayward is a shithole unless you live in the hills, If you have kids i would look for a place in Castro Valley, Pleasanton, Dublin, Livermore or Fremont instead.

As far as getting a CCW permit in Alameda Co. it's not going to happen.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#23]
If you have a low opinion of California, Hayward will ruin this state for you forever. Unfortunately, where Hayward is located, any commute from an outside city will be a nightmare.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:44:05 AM EDT
[#24]
As stated above there are a couple of nice areas but overall Hayward sucks.  What city is the job in?

Also Chabot is a nice range.

eta Oh yeah, a carry permit in Alameda county...just forget about it.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:56:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Welcome fellow gun owner.  Good advice above.  You may also want to read my sig line.  (just changed it.)

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 1:05:59 AM EDT
[#26]
It's been my experience that every city has at least one enclave that is nice.  Nice sometimes means expensive/pricey.  Sometimes, nice means nice, working class neighbors on a quiet, tree-lined street.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:02:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

It's been my experience that every city has at least one enclave that is nice.  Nice sometimes means expensive/pricey.  Sometimes, nice means nice, working class neighbors on a quiet, tree-lined street.
View Quote
Think of Hayward as Oakland lite, It's the 2nd worst city in Alameda Co. and in the top 5 for worst

cities in the entire Bay Area.

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:02:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Thank you fellas for all the good advices. My work is in Hayward, but I will be staying in Fremont. about 12miles/20 mins drive with no traffic.

Now when I called the CA Bureau of Firearms  at (916) 227-7527 the guy said that I pay only $19 flat rate for as many firearms as I want to register, but I also must register the long guns as well as hanguns? Can someone confirm this, can I trust what the rep told me or they dont know what they are talking about?

Also are there any additional laws that apply only to Alameda county on top of regular CA regulations?

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:36:13 AM EDT
[#29]
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf?
$19.00/handgun.  The instructions say to NOT report long guns (pg. 2, 2nd paragraph).  
eta Holy shitsnacks, this state blows. Conflicting info from the same site. Why would they leave up obsolete info and forms?  But probably the below info is correct as it has the most recent date.  $19.00 total but it includes all guns.
http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991
https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/ab991frm.pdf?

I grew up in Fremont, some of my family still live there. A metric
shitload of really, really bad drivers so heads up.  Fremont is okay,
better than Hayward.  Don't let us scare you though, Hayward is not west
Oakland.  You'd have to try to get in trouble in Hayward.  I wouldn't
choose to live there but if it was all I could afford I'm sure
everything would be fine.

eta  Alameda county Walmarts do not sell any ammunition.  Being in Fremont you can drive to Milpitas (not far) or further south and buy Walmart ammo.  

Oh yeah, no gun sales in any California Walmarts.  Statewide.  Which sucks.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top