Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2014 4:27:13 PM EDT
I'm in the north bay area and looking at buying a hobie catamaran.  I'm close to Berryessa, Clear Lake, and Folsom which I drove past a few weeks ago and is painfully low.  I was also looking at Tomales Bay, and pretty much anywhere on the delta.  

Any of you guys have experience with these things or recommendations on where to go?  I'll take it out on the bay eventually but not until I get some miles under my belt and a wet suit.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I just gave my son my old Hobie 16, he's planning on taking it out tomorrow somewhere around San Jose for his first try at it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:42:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Nobody here has done any sailing?  I found a small keelboat for sale as well but I am kind of torn.  On one hand you can get wet, go fast, and land on any beach.  On the other hand you've got dry, warm, and more likely to sail in poor weather although more difficult to set up off the trailer.  Get both?

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nobody here has done any sailing?  I found a small keelboat for sail as well but I am kind of torn.  On one hand you can get wet, go fast, and land on any beach.  On the other hand you've got dry, warm, and more likely to sail in poor weather although more difficult to set up off the trailer.  Get both?
View Quote

What's a keelboat, is that another name for catamaran? I'm surprised you haven't gotten more responses also. There must be some smaller lakes around the north bay. Let us know what you get.

Tom
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#5]
A keelboat is your typical sailboat with a weighted fin on the bottom that keeps you from blowing over in the wind.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A keelboat is your typical sailboat with a weighted fin on the bottom that keeps you from blowing over in the wind.  
View Quote

Keel boat= mono hull traditional sail boat.

Cats are called multihulls I believe.

Im in SoCal and want to get into sailing but I dont know anyone that does.

There seems to be a ton of cheaper used boats in the area.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I sailed a 20 something footer in Newport Beach on a race last month.  Sailing people are typically very friendly and if you go hang around at the marina or yacht club for an hour or two I'm sure someone will extend you an invite.

In other news, I bought this today.  Santana 20.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:01:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:24:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Tried to launch my boat off a crane today and almost broke the mast off.  That's on hold while I crew my friend's boat in the Jazz Cup this weekend.  26mi to Richmond, party overnight and then cruise back.  It's going to be wonderful.  Can we change this to a sailing thread?

Jam on bros.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top