Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2014 6:06:31 AM EDT
Wow. not trying to be a smart-ass or anything, but yeah, I know "heat of the moment," and split-second decision and all that but can't LEO responding tell an Uzxi from a cordless drill?

San Jose Police Fatally Shoot Woman Holding Power Drill

VERSUS

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:31:47 AM EDT
[#1]
There is a big thread in GD about it. Why post here? Like cops in other states haven't had similar shootings.

Apparently in VA you get  a medal for shooting someone with a cell hone. http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/latest-news/henrico-police-officer-receives-silver-valor-award/article_abc64018-4308-11e3-b1c2-001a4bcf6878.html  Did you post that over in the VA HTF?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:41:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Not as bad as shooting somebody holding a garden hose nozzle.
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov/04/local/la-me-long-beach-shooting-20111104
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
John Crawford, Beavercreek, Ohio / August 5: Two police officers responded to a 911 call about a man waving a gun at customers inside a Walmart store. According the Beavercreek police department, 22-year-old John Crawford disregarded officers' orders to disarm before being fatally shot in the chest. Crawford's gun turned out to be a .177 calibre BB rifle that he'd picked up from a store shelf. Walmart surveillance camera footage was turned over to the police but hasn't been released to the public or Crawford's family. "Why did John Crawford, a Walmart customer, get shot and killed carrying a BB gun in a store that sells BB guns?" asked Michael Wright, the family's attorney, during a joint press conference with the NAACP. "All the family demands is answers." The Ohio Attorney General's Office is investigating the case.
View Quote

"Why did John Crawford, a Walmart customer, get shot and killed carrying an axe in a store that sells axes?"

"Why did John Crawford, a Walmart customer, get shot and killed carrying a knife in a store that sells knives?"

"Why did John Crawford, a Walmart customer, get shot and killed carrying a machete in a store that sells machetes?"

"Why did John Crawford, a Walmart customer, get shot and killed carrying a hammer in a store that sells hammers?"

"Why did John Crawford, a Walmart customer, get shot and killed carrying coleman fuel and a lit highway flare in a store that sells coleman fuel and highway flares?"

the answer in all cases is the same: not because he was black, but because he was a threat to others, who chose not drop the weapon when the police were pointing guns at him.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#6]
that is good advice. I don't even think you have to go quite that far to not get shot by the po-lice.

1. Never flee from police. If the police approach you and speak to you, do not run or even walk away.
- 100% agree never run away.  If the cop is being an a-hole and is absolutely incorrect in wanting to speak with me, I might walk away, but I know that is not going to endear them to me.  however, I have not yet done so and doubt I ever will.

2. Avoid any sudden movements. No matter what you're doing when contacted by the police, stop and remain still.
- 100% agree not to make any sudden movements.  it only makes sense.  that is asking for a beating, at the least.

3. Do what you're told, and do it slowly. The officer will tell you exactly what he or she wants you to do.
- generally agree, unless the cop is asking for something impermissible, such as an illegal search.

4. Do not talk. At this point, you've either already broken the law and don't need to make it worse on yourself, or you are the victim of a misunderstanding and need to cooperate to prevent an unfortunate accident.
- cannot agree enough, but that has nothing to do with not getting shot.

5. Let yourself be handcuffed. While that may be uncomfortable, struggling against the cuffs or trying to resist in any way is only going to result in further trouble .
- agree.  if the cop has decided to wrongfully handcuff you, your remedy lies elsewhere.  resisting is an invitation to injury or getting shot.

I hate the JBT and "control" mindset so prevalent in LE these days.  however, when I watch Cops on TV, I cannot believe how the police can restrain themselves.  if I was a cop, I would be tasing the shit out of a lot of people, and beating the shit out of some of the rest.

for me, I have learned that as I look and act less of a scumbag, I get treated as less of a scumbag.  I have done plenty of very stupid things, but I have done so without ever having a gun pointed at me.  it's not that hard.  it might be harder for minorities in certain shitty areas, but it is not too hard.  don't dress, act, or speak like a criminal and hey everybody guess what?!?! cops don't treat you like a criminal!
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
for me, I have learned that as I look and act less of a scumbag, I get treated as less of a scumbag.  I have done plenty of very stupid things, but I have done so without ever having a gun pointed at me.  it's not that hard.  it might be harder for minorities in certain shitty areas, but it is not too hard. don't dress, act, or speak like a criminal and hey everybody guess what?!?! cops don't treat you like a criminal!
View Quote

No, it's not too hard.  There's just no excuse for bad behavior when interfacing with the Police.  They are the good guys.  It's always a stressful situation - be on your best behavior.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 12:56:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wow. not trying to be a smart-ass or anything, but yeah, I know "heat of the moment," and split-second decision and all that but can't LEO responding tell an Uzxi from a cordless drill?

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/e/e3/MicroUziPistol02.jpg/275px-MicroUziPistol02.jpg

VERSUS

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41cIe5i1hlL._SY300_.jpg

View Quote

It's generally considered bad form to point something that looks like a gun at a police officer.

They don't like it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I suspect that many of us would react badly if somebody pointed what appeared to be a gun at us in many circumstances
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/e/e3/MicroUziPistol02.jpg/275px-MicroUziPistol02.jpg

VERSUS

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41cIe5i1hlL._SY300_.jpg

View Quote

Here are some thing to think about in this case:

1. What time of day or night was this at?
2. What was the lighting like where she was standing
3. What was the girl doing with the drill (i.e. acting like it was a gun or building a shed)
4. What was her demeanor
5. What was the nature of the call the officers were going to
6. Any prior contacts at this residence

There are probably another 5 or 10 question that can be asked but those are just some quick ones.  The bad thing is that article is so horribly written you really don't have much information to go on.  Anyone who has interaction with any newspaper will tell you that is the norm not the exception
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top