Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2014 9:32:05 AM EDT
Hey gents, need some Califorinia gun law help. I live in Las Vegas and my cousin lives in Laguna Nagual CA. I have a handgun he has always wanted for many years now and I have decided to give it to him. What do I or does he need to do to get it back to his CA home legally?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#1]
It needs to be on the CA roster, or he needs to have it transferred through the single shot exemption (he can look into the particulars and a dealer nearby). You transfer it to the dealer, they transfer it to your cousin.

There are no exemptions for the handgun roster with this type of transaction (non intra-familial transfer and interstate transfer) and any magazines which hold over ten rounds must stay out of the state.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It needs to be on the CA roster, or he needs to have it transferred through the single shot exemption.
View Quote

Is this true even for used firearms?  I thought the list applied only to the sale/purchase of new firearms.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I went to the DOJ web site to check on this.  I quote:

"Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement."

Link to DOJ web site
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Will he also need a valid Handgun Safety Certificate?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Private party transfer.

The bitch is that you'll have to comply with federal laws meaning the FFLs are going to have to be involved. Either one on each end or you both present yourselves together to one in CA. The pistol will sit in the FFL's hands for the ten day cooling off period (rolleyes) and the guy will have to go through the "instant check" (rollingeyes again).
View Quote

Interstate transfers are not CA privte party transfers.

There isn't an exemption for the transfer the OP is suggesting. The roster applies.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I went to the DOJ web site to check on this.  I quote:

"Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement."

Link to DOJ web site
View Quote

Per CA regulations...
a Private Party Transfer is a face-to-face transfer between CA residents facilitated by a CA FFL dealer.

Since, the OP is a resident of another State, the transfer is not considered a private party transfer and the handgun is required to be on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale or be exempt from it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top