Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2014 6:53:59 AM EDT
Thinking of building an AR Pistol in 300 BLK.  I have a couple lowers laying around that have never been built.  Can I build one of these out as a pistol or do I need to have a lower specifically transferred as a pistol for this?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#1]
It is my understanding that you can only create an AR-15 pistol from an 80% lower.

On that note, anyone want to do an 80% group buy?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Are they 80% lowers.?

If they were bought as pistols or "other" then yes. if they were bought as rifle then no, don't do it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is my understanding that you can only create an AR-15 pistol from an 80% lower.

On that note, anyone want to do an 80% group buy?
View Quote

I would be in on a group buy.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish I lived closer to you Paul...
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#9]
If it's a pistol and has the magazine outside the grip, does that make it an assault weapon?

It has to be a fixed magazine.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thinking of building an AR Pistol in 300 BLK.  I have a couple lowers laying around that have never been built.  Can I build one of these out as a pistol or do I need to have a lower specifically transferred as a pistol for this?
View Quote

To better answer your question "yes" the lower must have been registered originally as a pistol.  Just like the one I showed you at Yolo.

It has to have a fixed mag (10 round of course) with a bullet button.

As for the 80% lowers I cannot speak.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:54:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not totally correct.

You can also purchase a Complete AR Pistol.  I've got a couple from the great folks over at Riflegear.  They come with their Riflegear branded lower.

http://www.riflegear.com/c-85-pistols.aspx#Filter=[EntityIDs=@(35)@*Sort=3*ava=0]

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

An 80% by definition isn't a pistol or a rifle - if it was it would be required to go through an FFL. An 80% is a paper weight.

The only issue I see is how do you register your pistol after it's finished? I'm sure there's some dumbass who needs to enter the manufacturer and model number of the pistol into a database ... and there's not going to be a freeform entry spot for "home made".

IIRC they have to go through a single shot stage? Or why did I buy that single shot follower again?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are they 80% lowers.?

If they were bought as pistols or "other" then yes. if they were bought as rifle then no, don't do it.

An 80% by definition isn't a pistol or a rifle - if it was it would be required to go through an FFL. An 80% is a paper weight.

The only issue I see is how do you register your pistol after it's finished? I'm sure there's some dumbass who needs to enter the manufacturer and model number of the pistol into a database ... and there's not going to be a freeform entry spot for "home made".

IIRC they have to go through a single shot stage? Or why did I buy that single shot follower again?

Paul, you are correct, that's why I asked the OP if his lowers were 80% (obviously anybody who has read anything about AR pistols knows what they are and will be) or if they were bought as pistol, rifle, other. I'm sure we're all ASSuming that the OP's lowers are not 80% finished lowers and he wont be able to make a pistol unless he wants to get spanked by LE...

Lucky me, I bought all the 80% lowers I will ever need and finished them on an rented CNC machine that I learned how to operate in a matter of seconds. Its not that I'm that smart, its that the teacher was that good
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#15]
i don't know about the 80% lower, but i know if you wanna buy an AR pistol you have to buy the entire pistol. you can't have a stripped lower registered as a pistol. it is my understanding that you have to buy an already complete pistol. you definitely can't take a stripped lower lying around and build a pistol, even with a fixed mag...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top