Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2014 10:18:07 AM EDT
I've gone back and forth with friends about this, and would like some more opinions. I plan to hunt pigs and coyotes with my AR15, it has a 10 rd magazine. My friends tell me that you can only hunt with a 4 round magazine in California. I have looked through the codes and can not find that anywhere, I believe they are confusing that with the limit to 3 shotguns shells you can hold while bird hunting. I even found a Q&A on the ca.gov website where someone asks this question and the answer back from what I'm assuming is a ranger is that it is legal.

So basically has anyone ever been approached by fish and game and told their AR with a 10 rd mag is illegal? Or if someone with knowledge of the guidelines can cop and paste that here I would appreciate it.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I understand the legal limit for a rifle's capacity is whatever the state law about the magazine is, so 10 rounds.

I may very well be horribly wrong, so I'll sit here and wait for a definitive answer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#2]
AFAIK, there is no mag capacity limit for hunting in Kalif.
except shotguns
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure about this and it may only apply to deer or larger game. .243 is the lowest allowed caliber.  They say not knowing the law isn't an excuse for breaking it.  Yet finding information is far from easy and I've found that info on the web isn't updated.   An example is I wanted to go shoot my new 30 06 and on the web it said BLM  area was legal shooting.  Drove an hour to get there to read a posted sign saying NO TARGET SHOOTING.  I would call whoever s in charge of that particular area to get an answer and make sure to get their name.  In case you get hassled by the man!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Not all BLM is open to all shooting.  You need to check with the BLM area/district?? office for the county or area in question.  San Bernardino County, for example, has some BLM areas that are totally closed for shooting, some only shotgun, some gtg subject to restrictions for some tortoise preserves, structures roads, etc.

San Bernardino County Map http://www.specialdistricts.org/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=306
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:06:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm not sure about this and it may only apply to deer or larger game. .243 is the lowest allowed caliber.  They say not knowing the law isn't an excuse for breaking it.  Yet finding information is far from easy and I've found that info on the web isn't updated.   An example is I wanted to go shoot my new 30 06 and on the web it said BLM  area was legal shooting.  Drove an hour to get there to read a posted sign saying NO TARGET SHOOTING.  I would call whoever s in charge of that particular area to get an answer and make sure to get their name.  In case you get hassled by the man!
View Quote

As far as I know any caliber is good to go so long as it's a "centerfire cartridge with softnose or expanding projectile." As per section 353a - Methods Authorized for Taking of Big Game.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#6]
We're getting away from my original question is it legal to hunt with a 10 round magazine. I may try calling fish and game.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I just found this on the fish and game website. I called the San Diego office and they assured me that if Carrie Wilson (they're law dept head) says 10 rounds is legal that we can trust this source.

http://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/page/7/

(This question is at the bottom of the page)

Max rounds in hunting rifle?
Question: What is the maximum number of rounds you can have in your hunting rifle? I have heard it is five rounds but other people have said the California limit is 10 rounds. What’s the correct answer? (Nick Holly)

Answer: Most rifles hold three to five rounds, but the California penal code allows for up to 10 rounds. There are no California Fish and Game Code sections that address limits on the number of rounds a rifle may hold. Remember the Penal Code prohibits the purchase or sale of any centerfire rifle or magazine that holds more than ten rounds. There are many rifles out there that were purchased long before these laws went into effect that are perfectly legal. Many people own .22 caliber rifles with tube magazine and high capacities. These are not outlawed and can be used for hunting small game.  Many people have carbines and other rifles bought long ago and they too are still legal even with a 30 round magazine.

#  #  #

Carrie Wilson is a marine environmental scientist with the California Department of Fish and Wildlife. While she cannot personally answer everyone’s questions, she will select a few to answer each week in this column. Please contact her at [email protected].

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#8]
generally yes, it is legal.  not for shotguns, of course.

where will you be hunting?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I hunt coyotes locally in the Antelope Valley and surround areas, but I think ill be in Tehachapi area hunting pigs.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#10]
RAW?  Or just preban hicaps?  Or 10-rd mags?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#11]
If I read that correctly pre ban mags are also legal
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#12]
usually, yes.  the landowner may have regs, e.g., fort hunter-liggett.

antelope valley is LA Co., they have their own regs on hunting and shooting, I was looking at them, too complicated to summarize here.

tehachapi is in kern co, much better regs.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I hunt rabbit and coyote just west of Barstow.  My son uses my RAD locked AR with 10 rders. I use a RAW with 20 rders.  All legal.        

Link Posted: 5/23/2014 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#14]
There is no rifle, pistol or revolver magazine limit for hunting, in Calif.  You can hunt with any magazine you legally possess. Shotguns have a 3 round max capacity, and a 10 gauge ceiling in diameter.

All this stuff is summarized in our hunting regs booklet, under "legal methods of take".

This page has all the regs booklets  
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/

On this page are the mammal regs:
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=84922&inline=1

It is easy to sit down with a beer and go through the regs looking up legal methods of take for mammals and upland birds.  I don't waterfowl-- you're on your own there, chief.

The regs are easy to read, and therefore comply with.  I wouldn't bet on getting any slack from Game Wardens if you mess up, so Stay Alert and Stay Alive Unticketed.

There is A Lot of good public lands hunting in this state.  See you in the hunting fields!  A hunting we will go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top