Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2014 1:10:40 PM EDT
I heard that Cali has a new law "just what we need" that all hand guns must have micro stamping tech in the gun that marks the brass with the guns serial number?  Is this true if so hasn't it occurred to our pin headed politicians " politician what a dirty word" that they have made it easier for criminals to get away with murder?  They could go to the range pick up someones brass and frame them for the crime.  Who makes guns with this tech? I suspect and hope know one.  Will this law apply to police?  If it doesn't how in the hell do they get away with this totally crooked bull shit legislation?
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Passes last year, in effect this year.  why do you think S&W, Ruger and others are pulling out of the CA semi-auto market?

Stupid, of course it is, brought to you by the same people bringing you the high-speed train.  makes about as much sense, too.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Why do you think the cops had anything to do with this crap? This was actually passed years and years ago by Schwartzenegger and the law stated when "Technologically feasible" and DOJ decided this year that it was "Feasible" don't take it out on the cops. This is a DOJ issue and gov issue not a cop issue
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Forgive my ignorance, but is there a date when all pistols (minus revolvers of course) sold in the state have to have microstamping technology? Also, does that mean that all pistols (again excluding revolvers) that don't have it can no longer be sold even if they are in inventory before the law takes effect?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:06:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Paul you are correct kind sir.  Now with that said I  just don't see why this law wouldn't especially apply to law enforcement as well. Some people shouldn't be cops.  

[no need to go there]

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:34:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm no expert but believe once their current inventory is gone all new semi auto handgun will require this untested technology.  Unless your law enforcement?  I also have an abundance of ignorance and would encourage anybody to enlighten us on this law!  There are no manufacturers currently who have this tech. New semi autos in California for all intensive purposes are illegal and unobtainable!  Unless of course your law enforcement.  Personally my naive ignorant ass thought thats what the 2nd amendment was for ? Silly me!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I believe there is one company making pistols with their proprietary microstamping technology built in.

IIRC, one criticism against this legislation was it would drive all sales in California to those two or three companies developing the technology - all the majors said they were not participating.  That lead to the "feasibility" clause.  It's been a few years, am I correct on this recollection of this history?

Someone in the DOJ now says it's feasible.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#10]
And what if you reload range brass?  Will everyone who has fired the casing have their stamp on it? So in theory if I have one of these new guns and I fire a round and don't pick up my case and someone comes along, takes that case reloads it and fires it out of a gun that doesn't have a stamp then the case will point LEO to me as the shooter??
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And what if you reload range brass?  Will everyone who has fired the casing have their stamp on it? So in theory if I have one of these new guns and I fire a round and don't pick up my case and someone comes along, takes that case reloads it and fires it out of a gun that doesn't have a stamp then the case will point LEO to me as the shooter??
View Quote

My impression was that the stamping was done by the firing pin, which would go away on reloading.  Also, if not from that, I would bet that running the case through cleaning and polishing media ought to make it impossible to ead.

Maybe
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My impression was that the stamping was done by the firing pin, which would go away on reloading.  Also, if not from that, I would bet that running the case through cleaning and polishing media ought to make it impossible to ead.

Maybe
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe

I don't usually clean or polish most of my ammo, just the precision stuff.  Also if it's just the firing pin then will firing pins be registered now?  If not what's to keep someone from just swapping theirs out?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I know and i'm really not trying to stir the pot, just trying to understand how the law is supposed to work and if there was any reasoning behind it or if it was just meant to make things more harder for the average law abiding citizen.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#16]
So does this mean that BCG now need to be registered or just new guns?

"AR pistols"
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#17]
GOOD QUESTION!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Its gun control under the veil of "Crime suppression" won't help or solve anything on the LEO criminal investigation front, basically a defacto handgun ban on all new handguns entering CA.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Forgive my ignorance, but is there a date when all pistols (minus revolvers of course) sold in the state have to have microstamping technology? Also, does that mean that all pistols (again excluding revolvers) that don't have it can no longer be sold even if they are in inventory before the law takes effect?
View Quote

Check out the list of Approved Handguns on California's DOJ website.

FWIW, I wanted a Springfield Range Officer, but it "fell of the list" last year,
so I bought a Kimber TLE three weeks ago.

That model falls off in a few months, maybe Oct or Nov.....
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

FWIW, I wanted a Springfield Range Officer, but it "fell of the list" last year,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, that's what I was wanting to know. Everything on the list can still be purchased, but new handguns must have the microstamping bullshit in order to be considered for the list. Right?
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#21]
This is the beginning of the end for semi-auto handguns in CA.  For those of you that live in other states, don't let this happen to you.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 12:36:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Does the micro-stamping requirement apply to the sale of used handguns?

I have never been in a gun store that did not have used handguns for sale.  If it does not apply, I suspect the sale of used handguns will expand.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 12:40:04 PM EDT
[#23]
"Bunch of Crap."  You may quote me on that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I have never been in a gun store that did not have used handguns for sale.  If it does not apply, I suspect the sale of used handguns will expand.
View Quote
It applies to used guns, but not consignments (which are treated as ptp transfers, and exempt from the roster). The shop I work at loves consignments for this very reason.

Link Posted: 5/25/2014 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Did micro-stamping help in apprehending the guy in Isla Vista?
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It applies to used guns, but not consignments (which are treated as ptp transfers, and exempt from the roster). The shop I work at loves consignments for this very reason.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How could it possibly apply to used firearms?  None of mine micro-stamp.  If I wanted to sell one, would I have to get it modified/retrofitted for microstamping.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Did micro-stamping help in apprehending the guy in Isla Vista?
View Quote

A single good citizen armed with their personal concealed weapon could have made a HUGE difference in that scenario.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top