BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2014 3:49:29 PM EDT
and GO!

but I'm a retard and didn't read the sticky...which I'll do right now
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, you can ship the part to CA.

It is not prohibited by law and it is the responsibility of the buyer to use it legally. Maybe they already own a legal M16. There are many machineguns legally registered within the state.

Now if the buyer gathers all the internal parts to an M16, they still need to perform further machining operations to get them to fit most receivers. On the off chance the purchaser uses those M16 parts to build an illegal weapon, then they would get in trouble.

It use to be common to alter surplus M16 parts to be used in a semi-auto only build. Grind here, file there, and you have parts that can no longer be made to function in other than semi-auto.

**edit for further clarity**

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#2]
yes I'm a retard  , or yes I can ship FA trigger group to Cali.  But wouldn't the parts be essentially useless there?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#3]
You can legally sell them to a FFL/SOT or a Gov/Mil/LE agency.

The M16 trigger group is considered a "machinegun" under CA laws. [PC 16880(b)]

Penal Code 16880  
(a) As used in this part, "machinegun" means any weapon that shoots, is designed to shoot, or can readily be restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.
(b) The term "machinegun" also includes the frame or receiver of any weapon described in subdivision (a), any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.
(c) The term "machinegun" also includes any weapon deemed by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives as readily convertible to a machinegun under Chapter 53 (commencing with Section 5801) of Title 26 of the United States Code.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:14:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, that's pretty wide open to basically require any part directly responsible in the chain to be neutered as to not allow select fire capa-ability.   sounds like they could even getcha for a FA carrier or low shelf receiver? either that or nothing is a MG except the hole in the receiver  because without that the sear won't fit/ everything else is just standard parts and it won't be select fire.  ...barring LL/DIAS/shoestring/filed down firing pin/ or some such.

the reason behind the question is mooted because just couldn't bring myself to send a set to Cali.  It's going to Ohio, where there is no question of me becoming a test case
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:34:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:57:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's the federal law you've broken, not state law. Admitting it here is ... troublesome.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow, that's pretty wide open to basically require any part directly responsible in the chain to be neutered as to not allow select fire capa-ability.   sounds like they could even getcha for a FA carrier or low shelf receiver? either that or nothing is a MG except the hole in the receiver  because without that the sear won't fit/ everything else is just standard parts and it won't be select fire.  ...barring LL/DIAS/shoestring/filed down firing pin/ or some such.

the reason behind the question is mooted because just couldn't bring myself to send a set to Cali.  It's going to Ohio, where there is no question of me becoming a test case

It's the federal law you've broken, not state law. Admitting it here is ... troublesome.

what?

scenario #1: someone found sending MG parts into California,  CA DOJ goes full retard and spends six digits prosecuting Mr LP.

scenario #2: someone sending MG parts from on state to another state where neither state forbids ownership of MGs. States don't care & the .GOV doesnt restrict this either. no test case
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#9]
[A]ny weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manually reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.
View Quote

I'll take a stab here and say I don't think the sale / shipment of a M16 trigger is a violation of federal law.

A. Is a factory machinegun or a complete converted or manufactured weapon. Not parts.

B. Applicable to the M16 is the frame or receiver with auto sear pin hole.

C. Any part designed solely and exclusively, is the sear or a DIAS, LL.

D. Combination of parts designed and intended (and in fact will upon testing) for use in converting a weapon (non factory machinegun) into a machinegun. This is a "full house" of M16 parts installed. W/WO sear. (Some new Colt 9MM rifles come with an M16 hammer to this day)

E. Any combination of parts from which a machinegun (and in fact will upon testing) can be assembled (the full house of parts in a bag) if such parts are in the possession or control of a person.

That's just how I read it, and understand it to be,  I am not an attorney. It is a good question for an attorney. -W
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:16:20 PM EDT
[#10]
as I understand it, possession of an M16 trigger group is not illegal, if one does not also own an AR-15.  not sure though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:04:43 PM EDT
[#11]
As an older guy and former CA resident, I remember back when M16 FCG (less sear) were plentiful and we used to modify (lots of grinding)  them to make match triggers for the AR15.  This is back before you could buy a decent match trigger and the M16 triggers were sold by the bag (usually around 10 in the bag for $5) at the local gunshow.  Granted, this was a long time ago, but it was a use for M16 FCG that didn't involve illegal activity.  

Your buyer may just be old and doing the same thing we did.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#12]
It's not a trigger group without the sear.  Trigger, hammer, and safely are not forbidden, as they work in an AR15 wwith no full-auto.  Same with the M16 bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top