Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2014 6:47:07 PM EDT
Im moving to LA for a job in a few months.  Ive been studying the laws to make sure Im in compliance when I move but today it occurred to me that there may be an issue with the billy club and an extendable baton I own.  Are they illegal to own in your home? it appears that its  felony to carry them, but what about having in a drawer at home?

Anyone shed light on this?
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#3]
leave them there..

Its not worth it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Im moving to LA for a job in a few months.  Ive been studying the laws to make sure Im in compliance when I move but today it occurred to me that there may be an issue with the billy club and an extendable baton I own.  Are they illegal to own in your home? it appears that its  felony to carry them, but what about having in a drawer at home?

Anyone shed light on this?
View Quote

No exemptions for it being in your home. Importation and possession is illegal.

Penal Code 22210
Except as provided in Section 22215 and Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, any person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses any leaded cane, or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a billy, blackjack, sandbag, sandclub, sap, or slungshot, is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Wait.. slingshot is illegal too?

or is "slungshot" something else and not a typo?
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

It covers things that have lead added to the impact points,,,think of sap gloves with lead shot in the knuckle areas.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

the classic Y slingshot is illegal in many locations by ordinance.  The slung shot is like David slew Goliath and/or as noted a weight contained at the end of a flexible holder.

Which is why my 84 year old mother has several family heirlooms, which may be going to LEOs in the family if she passes before I move out of state.  We're not particularly worried about her getting prosecuted.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Can't believe something like a baton is a felony to own.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Please define a "baton".

Anything can be used as a baton.

Paul's aluminum pipe is a baton.

A baseball bat is a baton.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#10]
are you not able to own firearms?  Cant think of any other reason to own something as silly as an extendable baton.  

Youd even be better off with a crossbow lol
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Felony.  It's not worth it.

They aren't all that effective, either.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Carrying a collapsible baton is a felony.

Carrying concealed firearm is misdemeanor (unless something has changed)
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Please define a "baton".

Paul's aluminum pipe is a baton.

A baseball bat is a baton.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure the definition is in there someplace.  In the past putting a strap or thong on an other wise legal object turned it into a "baton"  think a pick handle, a railroad brake club, etc, with a thong, I guess it became a way for it to be handled differently or let go without losing it.

However pragmatically, many of the objects on the list don't necessarily make a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 11:43:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Please define a "baton".

Paul's aluminum pipe is a baton. It's a walking stick not a weapon

A baseball bat is a baton. It's a baseball bat not a weapon
View Quote

A billy club or ASP is a weapon as it's primary (read only?) function.

Screwdrivers and prybars are mechanics tools unless being used to make entry for a burglary at which point they become a crime to possess.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:44:46 AM EDT
[#15]

To carry a baton for security work, one needs a guard card and baton permit, even a police officer requires a guard card to work security as a side gig, and must be employed by a Private Patrol Operator - one can't simply obtain a guard card and seek to work directly for a client.

I'm a DoD certified instructor for non-lethal weapons - I have a DoD ID and instructor card, I could transport my gear to and fro, but, would never carry on my person or in such a manner as to construe I'm carrying items for self-defense.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:36:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Screwdrivers and prybars are mechanics tools unless being used to make entry for a burglary at which point they become a crime to possess.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please define a "baton".

Indeed they are what you say, until they get used as a weapon.  Then, who gets to decide what they are?
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Indeed they are what you say, until they get used as a weapon.  Then, who gets to decide what they are?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please define a "baton".

A jury - ultimately.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks.  Ive got plenty of other things to keep in my night stand I just like to collect stuff and picked up a box of old batons, extendable batons, and billy clubs at an estate sale. Some are new some are really really old.  Ill just toss them in my parents attic for the time  being.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Illegal outside the home. Technically legal inside your home, but cops will react very badly if they ever see it. Bad idea. Get a bat. The stuff is not worth it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Illegal outside the home and. Technically legal inside your home, but cops will react very badly if they ever see it. Bad idea. Get a bat. The stuff is not worth it.
View Quote

IIRC, they are not legal to possess in California.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

To carry a baton for security work, one needs a guard card and baton permit, even a police officer requires a guard card to work security as a side gig, and must be employed by a Private Patrol Operator - one can't simply obtain a guard card and seek to work directly for a client.

I'm a DoD certified instructor for non-lethal weapons - I have a DoD ID and instructor card, I could transport my gear to and fro, but, would never carry on my person or in such a manner as to construe I'm carrying items for self-defense.

View Quote

When did this change?

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:47:08 AM EDT
[#22]
There are plenty of knives you can legally carry for self defense.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When did this change?

It's been that way for quite some time. I'll edit with the cite.

The BSIS police officer FAQ page is in the process of being updated so we'll see: http://www.bsis.ca.gov/customer_service/faqs/po_faq.shtml

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:23:43 AM EDT
[#24]
THank you everyone for your input.  To make myself feel better about leaving behind my billyclub/baton/blackjack collection, I went out and bought myself a Glock 30s.  

Im really looking forward to the move to CA, will be even happier when I can CCW in LA.

I look forward to meeting some of you, Ill miss my local gun club, where I was very active, but will look to be as active after I get my feet back on the ground, after the move.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

When did this change?

ETA: http://www.bsis.ca.gov/customer_service/faqs/po_apply.shtml

The BSIS police officer FAQ page is in the process of being updated so we'll see: http://www.bsis.ca.gov/customer_service/faqs/po_faq.shtml

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When did this change?

Good i'm glad they have to get government permission.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When did this change?

I think it's utterly retarded. A police officer MOST definitely is versed in Use of Force and proper baton and OC employment. I believe the BSIS enacted those requirements of peace officers so they could regulate their services through mandating their employment via a PPO.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I guess I would prefer that LEO not be used as private security, can blur the line between what a security guard can do and what an LEO can do as an LEO.  Even worse when in uniform and maybe using public vehicle

But it is a common practice everywhere.

But I bet what happened here is some Dem in Sacramento got a wild hair and  thought (too much credit, I know) that cops didn't have the training as guards did, decided to pass a law. And got his buddies to pass it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:23:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I guess I would prefer that LEO not be used as private security, can blur the line between what a security guard can do and what an LEO can do as an LEO.  Even worse when in uniform and maybe using public vehicle

But it is a common practice everywhere.

But I bet what happened here is some Dem in Sacramento got a wild hair and  thought (too much credit, I know) that cops didn't have the training as guards did, decided to pass a law. And got his buddies to pass it.
View Quote

Actually, there is a bit of a p!ssing match between BSIS and regular cops.  They would love to regulate us.  In uniform and with city vehicle you must be contracted for through your city/department, so there is no conflict. My city charges $184 per hour for me and a car.  If I get hurt, it's on the City's WC provider.  I am not allowed to work security for another entity, by policy.

And, back to the original topic, batons are illegal.  Sticks used to fend off dogs are illegal.  A walking cane that is not weighted and carried for defense, is legal.  People get in trouble when they carry bats behind their seat, etc.  I would throw a set of cleats and a glove there, too.  It's all about the intended purpose.  the CA Penal Code was written in 1872 and highwaymen and padfoots carried billys, clubs, slungshots, etc. so it's a felony.  Gentlemen carried revolvers, so the penalty for carrying without a permit is only a misdemeanor if the pistol is registered to you on the first offense.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:05:54 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Illegal outside the home and. Technically legal inside your home, but cops will react very badly if they ever see it. Bad idea. Get a bat. The stuff is not worth it.

You might be correct. I grew up with cops in the house, so they were all over.

Yup, just checked the law. Illegal to possess. Not sure why anyone outside LEO would want to have one, though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:00:51 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, just checked the law. Illegal to possess. Not sure why anyone outside LEO would want to have one, though.

For the same reason a LEO would want one: to compel compliance, to escalate in the use of force to compel compliance, to defend oneself, defense of others, to name a few. Why would anyone outside LE want a firearm or OC? The state of CA BSIS believes security professionals have a compelling reason to carry a baton; thus, they find it within their purview to regulate them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Batons, billys, saps, a British (Indian??) Army sword swagger stick, family mementos

Ma Danbys's Grandfather with Graf Zeppelin, and after he joined LASO in WW2 after retiring from LAPD  (His loaded billyclub was a reminder of the good old days when the beat cop said move along, you moved along, and one cop could stop a bar brawl)

My Dad

Ma Danby's brother (who got most of the heirlooms)   (I have a similar picture saying to park off pavement and not block snowplows)

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Cool pics. Sign needs gunshots though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Cool pics. Sign needs gunshots though.
View Quote

IIRC that was taken o the north side of Altadena or over by what used to be Oak Grove Park by JPL.  The signs with bullet holes in them in Altadena are in the middle of town not on the outskirts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top