Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/28/2014 11:04:08 PM EDT
I already passed on an opening in my position in NY because of the horrendous gun regulations, but never really paid much attention directly to CA's regs since I thought it would never affect me (hello safety-bubble of "la-la-la I can't hear you"!), now out of the blue have a chance to relocate to Rancho Cucamonga, maybe. Will be flying out to check it out later this month (half hour drive to mountains, hour drive to ocean...don't get that in OH), BUT...what is the concealed carry situation, and do I need to put my AR build on hold?? And any other bits of things a Midwest girl may need to keep in mind before such a big move?

Seriously, we have snow coming AGAIN in a day or so and I am almost ready to sign without even checking the locale out in person, I'm so sick of this winter!!!

Almost ready to FO...but...
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 11:46:14 PM EDT
[#1]
And please give me a few suggestions of neighborhoods in the "Inland Empire" that would be good to check out for housing...not buying yet, just renting, either a small house or condo or apt for the first year...

Where are good places to shoot so I can keep up on my practice? Will I be reduced to sitting in a darkened room doing dry fire practice only?? So many questions!!

Link Posted: 3/1/2014 3:27:18 AM EDT
[#2]
You may want to re think that move. I lived in CA for 3.5 yrs. Just as tough as NY ( where I grew up) as far as gun rights. You might want to look at TX, VA, NV, AZ, NC, SC, GA, or other 2A friendly states. It takes a bunch to get a concealed permit in CA, and if you are in the LA area (within 2hrs) you will find it really hard. Ammo is EXPENSIVE! I have to ship ammo to my father in law so that he can shoot. It actually costs less for me to do it then it is for him to find ammo first and pay out the nose for it. And you have to show ID to buy it. Took him almost 8 months to get his CCW- and he lives in Fresno, where the sheriff is pro gun. JMHO.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 7:01:54 AM EDT
[#3]
rancho is a very nice neighborhood.  very nice.  if you have work in rancho, then you are in a desirable position, as there are many nice areas to live, such as rancho itself, alta loma, claremont, san antonio heights, etc.  

I doubt there is any concealed carry in rancho, maybe if you move to outlying county areas.

ar builds are fine, we are just stuck with 10-rd mags and bullet buttons.  bullet buttons are not a biggie.  sucks we have to use them, but they are not bad to live with.

plenty of guns and shooters here, rancho is not far at all from an outdoor range http://www.lytlecreekrange.com/

and check this out, it's in rancho: heaven on earth

oh look, an indoor range http://ranchomagnum.com/

welcome, there is a reason the stupidity in savcramento has not run us all out yet, and that is the fact that it is still a nice place to live.  and the food is really good too.

we also have something unheard-of in the midwest: large tracts of public open space where you can shoot hundreds of yards.  the desert.  but where in the desert can you shoot?  here's a map!  http://www.specialdistricts.org/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=306

what part of OH are you in?
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 7:46:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

what part of OH are you in?
View Quote

Southwest, Cincy area. It will be a huge difference!

Thanks for the response and suggestions...I have a lot look into about CA, and a brief window of time to come to a decision, so every bit helps! I will probably be poking around your HTF a bit  

Link Posted: 3/1/2014 7:50:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You may want to re think that move. I lived in CA for 3.5 yrs. Just as tough as NY ( where I grew up) as far as gun rights. You might want to look at TX, VA, NV, AZ, NC, SC, GA, or other 2A friendly states. It takes a bunch to get a concealed permit in CA, and if you are in the LA area (within 2hrs) you will find it really hard. Ammo is EXPENSIVE! I have to ship ammo to my father in law so that he can shoot. It actually costs less for me to do it then it is for him to find ammo first and pay out the nose for it. And you have to show ID to buy it. Took him almost 8 months to get his CCW- and he lives in Fresno, where the sheriff is pro gun. JMHO.
View Quote

Definitely a mark in the neg column here. I know that everything is going to be more expensive out there.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Use Zillow.com to explore your housing opportunities and costs.  You can look at rental prices and availability and look at purchase prices to understand the future costs and opportunities.

In my opinion, the biggest problem with California's gun laws is the prohibition against high capacity magazines (>10 rounds).  You can get almost any AR-type rifle (as long as the receiver isn't on the list) as long as you add a bullet button.  You can bring your hand guns, too, as long as they are not "assault weapons".
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I live in Alta Loma (aka Rancho Cucamonga) Its a great place to raise a family. All the small cities that run along the mountains are wonderful places to live,
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Use Zillow.com to explore your housing opportunities and costs.  You can look at rental prices and availability and look at purchase prices to understand the future costs and opportunities.

In my opinion, the biggest problem with California's gun laws is the prohibition against high capacity magazines (>10 rounds).  You can get almost any AR-type rifle (as long as the receiver isn't on the list) as long as you add a bullet button.  You can bring your hand guns, too, as long as they are not "assault weapons".
View Quote

So, dumb question here, but does that mean my M&P 9mm compact's regular mags, which hold 12, are a no go and I have to find 10 rd mags? I definitely have a lot of research to do...
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#10]
yes, you need 10-rd mags.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes you need 10 round mags, you can convert yours though, look up magblocks. Also, California might go from may issue to shall issue real soon, the 9th circuit has till the 6th to decide on review or not, if they don't Cali will be shall issue. As for AR's you can bring it as long as it isn't band by name, install a Bullet Button or go featureless.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Also, California might go from may issue to shall issue real soon, the 9th circuit has till the 6th to decide on review or not, if they don't Cali will be shall issue....
View Quote

not exactly.  at best, the staus is that the state good cause requirement cannot be defined as 'unlike the average person' as SD Co. did.  "shall issue" is still a world away.

Link Posted: 3/1/2014 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So, dumb question here, but does that mean my M&P 9mm compact's regular mags, which hold 12, are a no go and I have to find 10 rd mags? I definitely have a lot of research to do...
View Quote

Yes, that is EXACTLY what it means.  12>10 last time I checked.  See, you've been adversely impacted by an inherently DUMB law.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Join and donate to CalGuns.....if your going to live here you might as well give to the cause.

Link Posted: 3/1/2014 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#15]
On the map, yeah those "township" boundaries and sizing are the same as in Ohio, and yes that area is that big.

If CCW is make or break, well there are a hell of a lot of us that have lived here for a long long time, and not having one has never been a problem.  Yeah, the first time you need may be a huge problem.  But a lot of being smart about what you do and where you go keeps those problems down.

In Rancho C area you are under 2 hours to the beach, good traffic times, two hours or less to ski areas, about an hour and a half to the wide open shooting areas.  Sorry but no snow, and minimal humidity.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Rancho Cucamonga is a contract city for the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department.
The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department issues conceal carry permits for the "good cause" of personal protection.
Therefore, you have a good chance of getting issued a conceal carry permit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 8:04:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In Rancho C area you are under 2 hours to the beach, good traffic times, two hours or less to ski areas, about an hour and a half to the wide open shooting areas.  Sorry but no snow, and minimal humidity.
View Quote

and, we can use real rifles to hunt deer!  too bad there are no deer in so cal.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#18]
The biggest deer I ever saw in CA were up in Cajon Pass.  Jumping up on to some stopped piggy-back cars (trailer on flat car) and down to the other side.  Looked like deer with a mission going to feed someplace.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm moving back to Rancho Cucamonga at the end of June (left in 1997).

As Quiet_Wolf said, Rancho uses SB County Sheriff's dept. so there's no local PD to get in the way. I recently read that the SB County sheriff is pro-concealed carry with a high permit approval rate. That's encouraging. The 9th circuit's ruling is encouraging too.

Getting ready for the move.......my mailbox was desecrated last week. I came home to find a bullet button and dozens of magblocks in it. Wretched devices.

Hoping to stay north of the 210. The closer to the mountains the better.

Moving for family.....makes it all worthwhile. And In-N-Out. Yeah....burgers first, and then family. No wait...
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The biggest deer I ever saw in CA were up in Cajon Pass.  Jumping up on to some stopped piggy-back cars (trailer on flat car) and down to the other side.  Looked like deer with a mission going to feed someplace.
View Quote

I saw the biggest buck I have ever seen (road kill) last year right at the end of the 2 freeway where is exits on to Foothill (route 66) If I would of had my truck I would have stopped and tried to bring it back to life.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Grew up in Rancho and still have friends and family there (hell all my toys are still in Rancho). Overall its a great place to live, only gripe I have is eating out. No matter where you go at 6pm there is a line, living in Hollywood now I can't tell you the last time I have ever waiting in line. Are you looking at apartments or homes?

Any questions just shoot me a PM
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

As Quiet_Wolf said, Rancho uses SB County Sheriff's dept. so there's no local PD to get in the way. I recently read that the SB County sheriff is pro-concealed carry with a high permit approval rate. That's encouraging. The 9th circuit's ruling is encouraging too.

Getting ready for the move.......my mailbox was desecrated last week. I came home to find a bullet button and dozens of magblocks in it. Wretched devices.

Moving for family.....makes it all worthwhile. And In-N-Out. Yeah....burgers first, and then family. No wait...
View Quote

Only bitch I have is the closest In and Out is a PITA to get to and from....damn that foothill plaza
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes, that is EXACTLY what it means.  12>10 last time I checked.  See, you've been adversely impacted by an inherently DUMB law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Normally not a moran, was just not sure if the mag restriction only applied to the scary long guns / evil black rifle, since most of my pistols' mags are not even <10. (Plus I've the crazy brain from trying to consider uprooting an established life to move cross country......honestly I'm surprised I am managing to get dressed in clothes right-side out these days!)

And we are all being impacted by inherently DUMB laws regarding our firearms, it's what "they" count on...our confusion trying to navigate the labyrinth of idiocy in not just our home states, but then trying to figure out other states' complicated regulations. It's ridiculous. For a natural right that's guaranteed by an Amendment, one US citizen should not be more unfairly burdened than another based solely on where in the US that citizen resides. But "they" count on the confusion they create with state regs to keep us all tied up fighting multiple smaller skirmishes in various states...what is that expression about getting nibbled to death by ducks...so just like everything else we are too busy to fix it from the top down. Depressing.

Anyway, have booked a flight for next week to check that area of CA out...interested to at least see it since it will very different from OH. Thanks for all the responses here!
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#24]
By the way, if I do relocate I'd love to bring you all some deer...I get to see 'em almost every day from my backyard, and I would really miss that!
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Grew up in Rancho and still have friends and family there (hell all my toys are still in Rancho). Overall its a great place to live, only gripe I have is eating out. No matter where you go at 6pm there is a line, living in Hollywood now I can't tell you the last time I have ever waiting in line. Are you looking at apartments or homes?

View Quote

Darn, sounds like I will be in a line then, for at least the visit while trying to stay fed.

If I take the job, I will be renting to start with until I make sure I've found a good area...would like to rent a house, since I have a large dog. If anyone has good leads on a nice pet-friendly rental (house or apt / condo to start) please feel free to PM me. It looks as though there are a LOT of dog parks in the area where my dog can get some off leash running in. That will be good if I cannot find anything like a house with a yard.

And I may take you up on the PM offer, if I go for the relocation, because I will definitely have questions! Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Darn, sounds like I will be in a line then, for at least the visit while trying to stay fed.

If I take the job, I will be renting to start with until I make sure I've found a good area...would like to rent a house, since I have a large dog. If anyone has good leads on a nice pet-friendly rental (house or apt / condo to start) please feel free to PM me. It looks as though there are a LOT of dog parks in the area where my dog can get some off leash running in. That will be good if I cannot find anything like a house with a yard.

And I may take you up on the PM offer, if I go for the relocation, because I will definitely have questions! Thank you!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anytime, what type of Dog do you have (breed and type)? Houses are best but you want to go through a Realtor as they can help find a home thats not in foreclosure (was a big issue for a while). Apartments will take dogs but most will have weight and breed restrictions, they will also charge pet rent and require a pet deposit. I have a way around that and you can get any pet you want in any apartment community without worry and without rent/deposit...gotta love CA laws  

Food lines (big restaurants) are the only real issues on Fri-Sun, During the week they are not so bad, you just gotta figure out the timing. Also my only other recommendation would be to stay above Foothill if possible.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Only bitch I have is the closest In and Out is a PITA to get to and from....damn that foothill plaza
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know. I went back before Christmas and the traffic was ridiculous. I didn't recognize anything, I got lost trying to find my sisters house.

When I left Rancho was still mostly vineyards and lots of open desert. Ontario Mills had just opened (No Doubt played the opening), California Speedway had just opened, and Central Park was just a sign that said "Future Home of......". Now it looks like everything has been developed. Population was less than 80,000, now I think it's getting close to 180,000.

Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Most parts of Rancho and Upland are safe. I'd stay away from Ontario, Fontucky, Rialto, Colton, etc. If you don't mind commuting, Hesperia, Oak Hills, and Apple Valley in the High Desert are good choices. If CCW is important, stay in San Bernardino county.Depending on when you are moving, I may have a house for rent in Hesperia.

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I grew up in Ohio.  Lived in a few other states and now in Rancho Cucamonga.

We looked from Orange County to Whittier settled in RC well north of the 210.  I like it a lot - beautiful view of the city at night - but gotta drive down the hill for everything.  Some people like to be in the middle of things.

There  are a lot of nice neighborhoods but beware: crime is everywhere in SoCal.  Not like a lot of other places I've lived where you buy in a nice place and never have to lock your doors. Most of the house around us are very expensive and we have more crime in the general vicinity than everywhere I have ever lived combined.

However; we are loving it. Not the crime but everything else the area offers, especially the weather!  Won't stay forever but enjoying it while we are here.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 5:22:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Most parts of Rancho and Upland are safe. I'd stay away from Ontario, Fontucky, Rialto, Colton, etc. If you don't mind commuting, Hesperia, Oak Hills, and Apple Valley in the High Desert are good choices. If CCW is important, stay in San Bernardino county.Depending on when you are moving, I may have a house for rent in Hesperia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hesperia may be a bit far...I will have to try that drive when I get out there to see what the commute may be like, The places I have been checking do say it is a nice community.

There are a lot of nice neighborhoods but beware: crime is everywhere in SoCal. Not like a lot of other places I've lived where you buy in a nice place and never have to lock your doors. Most of the house around us are very expensive and we have more crime in the general vicinity than everywhere I have ever lived combined.

What kind of crime? Are you talking minor but prevalent petty crime in the nice neighborhoods, like vandalism and breaking into cars left parked on the street or in driveways, or is there a constant (say once a week) report in the news of a home invasion or someone walking the family dog in a nice neighborhood getting mugged?

Hmmm, maybe the constant great weather out there is not all it's cracked up to be, since people are out and about year round. At least the cold and nasty winter months in OH tend to keep people hunkered down in their warm houses...gotta figure even the petty crooks get pretty unmotivated for strolling around neighborhoods seeing who's shed was left open for a quick snatch and grab when they are also freezing and fighting the winter blahs

Thanks again for all the responses, every bit of info helps! I will definitely stay w/in SB county if that is what it takes to get the CC, sounds like a real must for out there.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 7:13:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 7:32:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Hesperia may be a bit far...I will have to try that drive when I get out there to see what the commute may be like, The places I have been checking do say it is a nice community.

What kind of crime? Are you talking minor but prevalent petty crime in the nice neighborhoods, like vandalism and breaking into cars left parked on the street or in driveways, or is there a constant (say once a week) report in the news of a home invasion or someone walking the family dog in a nice neighborhood getting mugged?

Hmmm, maybe the constant great weather out there is not all it's cracked up to be, since people are out and about year round. At least the cold and nasty winter months in OH tend to keep people hunkered down in their warm houses...gotta figure even the petty crooks get pretty unmotivated for strolling around neighborhoods seeing who's shed was left open for a quick snatch and grab when they are also freezing and fighting the winter blahs

Thanks again for all the responses, every bit of info helps! I will definitely stay w/in SB county if that is what it takes to get the CC, sounds like a real must for out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a lot of nice neighborhoods but beware: crime is everywhere in SoCal. Not like a lot of other places I've lived where you buy in a nice place and never have to lock your doors. Most of the house around us are very expensive and we have more crime in the general vicinity than everywhere I have ever lived combined.

For purposes of full disclosure to reveal any bias, I grew up in the rural Midwest before meth, so I am used to virtually no crime.  

In the last year my house and a couple others in the neighborhood have been burglarized, someone tried to steal the copper phone line from the poles on the main road just a couple hundred yards from me, a guy was assaulted on the street next to ours, a guy I work with who lives within a mile of me (still Alta Loma) had his car stolen out of his driveway.

Just think about it this way - stuff 18,000,000 in a relatively small geographic area and try to imagine what will happen.  I don't feel afraid to live here and truly enjoy it so far, but it is clear I don't live in "Kansas" any more.  

I think people who grew up here or in any other big city will have a totally different perspective.

Link Posted: 3/9/2014 9:01:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the clarification...I'm pretty sure I have more of your perspective of what should be "normal" crime rates, etc.

And I'm not sure I could claim "service animal" status for my horse dog, she just turns dog chow into lots of piles in the back yard, smells bad except for the two days right after her baths, and makes me laugh so hard sometimes I can't see straight. Besides I also have a cat (the dog's buddy, sparring partner, and sometimes arch-nemesis) and there is nobody dumb enough to think a cat is any sort of "service animal"!
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#34]
petty property crime, and some burglaries.  in nice middle class tracts, the occupants predictably work during the day, leaving the nice homes empty.  so there are some burglaries.  home invasions are never random, there is usually dope, etc involved.

RC is safe, I would live there if I worked there.  yes there is property crime, there is always crime somewhere.  lock your doors and the amateurs (99%) will not cause you any grief.

yes it is different than the midwest, but there are many differences, including opportunities and weather.  if you combined the low crime of the midwest with the weather of so cal, there would either be no jobs or you could not afford to live there.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I live in Alta Loma (aka Rancho Cucamonga) Its a great place to raise a family. All the small cities that run along the mountains are wonderful places to live,
View Quote

my neighbor is moving you could move in next door
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oooh, don't tease me like that!!

I have been able to sneak out here to Rancho / SB / Inland Empire area ("empire" really?? sounds a bit melodramatic and Star War-sian over-the-top) a bit earlier than I thought (I go back to damp chilly OH tomorrow, but at least I go back with a sunburn!) and this area is a lot better than I ever expected...it's different, but gorgeous in its own way. AND it is only a 1.5 hour or so from the Pacific...unbelievable! I have almost been seduced by Cali despite all your horrid drivers and bizarre stop-and-go-for-no-reason highway traffic patterns.

Knowing I'd have a cute young Arfcommer in the neighborhood as a cool "good spot to go shooting" resource is really tempting, whether you would actually be right next door or not. Or wait, maybe not...maybe the idea of two 13ers, even "good" ones, actually meeting in person...head exploding.gif...

California has some amazing features, and I can see why some people become addicted to it. Whether I end up relocating here or not, I have met some really cool people in just the last three days I have been out here, and if these people I met are all the liberal retards who are ruining your state you guys here all complain about, I cannot wait to meet some actual Arfcommers...you guys must really be awesome!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 6:56:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I have been able to sneak out here to Rancho / SB / Inland Empire area ("empire" really?? sounds a bit melodramatic and Star War-sian over-the-top) a bit earlier than I thought (I go back to damp chilly OH tomorrow, but at least I go back with a sunburn!) and this area is a lot better than I ever expected...it's different, but gorgeous in its own way. AND it is only a 1.5 hour or so from the Pacific...unbelievable! I have almost been seduced by Cali despite all your horrid drivers and bizarre stop-and-go-for-no-reason highway traffic patterns.

View Quote

It's also known as the "Land of the dirt people"   and the 909, home of the 909er!
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:23:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:...I have met some really cool people in just the last three days I have been out here, and if these people I met are all the liberal retards who are ruining your state you guys here all complain about,...
View Quote

they are not.

RC is a middle-to-upper-middle-class bedroom community where folks have jobs and mortgages.  they have "skin in the game."  they vote republican.

the crazies in sacramento are voted in by the educated left (those with great jobs in urban centers like san francisco or los angeles, or academics), and the poor who want handouts.  those are still rare in RC.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Shouldn't be too hard to get your ccw in SB county. The process will take about 4-6 month though.

RC is a nice city. The further up the hill the better. If you move to Fontana or Rialto try and stay above the 210 and you will be fine. Upland and Claremont are ok also, just do some research or ask here about specific areas.

You can shoot up in Lytle Creek (public range), also a private range up there but theres a waiting list or a limited membership open, or just head up to the desert.

We have all kinds if bs gun laws but there is also a lot of ways to still get what you need and be on the right side of the law.

California is a great state in a lot of ways and sucks in a lot of ways also. Prepare for traffic, lines, and waiting in general. Anything fun here requires a permit or fee, get use to it. I have spent the better part of my life in the IE and plan on leaving for a 2nd time once the youngest graduates.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Service Animal!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I have a way around that and you can get any pet you want in any apartment community without worry and without rent/deposit...gotta love CA laws  

Service Animal!

Emotional support animal
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Shouldn't be too hard to get your ccw in SB county. The process will take about 4-6 month though.

RC is a nice city. The further up the hill the better. If you move to Fontana or Rialto try and stay above the 210 and you will be fine. Upland and Claremont are ok also, just do some research or ask here about specific areas.

You can shoot up in Lytle Creek (public range), also a private range up there but theres a waiting list or a limited membership open, or just head up to the desert.

We have all kinds if bs gun laws but there is also a lot of ways to still get what you need and be on the right side of the law.

California is a great state in a lot of ways and sucks in a lot of ways also. Prepare for traffic, lines, and waiting in general. Anything fun here requires a permit or fee, get use to it. I have spent the better part of my life in the IE and plan on leaving for a 2nd time once the youngest graduates.
View Quote

Not a fan of public ranges when you can drive about 1 hour to Hodge Rd and not have anyone really near you most days.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Not a fan of public ranges when you can drive about 1 hour to Hodge Rd and not have anyone really near you most days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, I head up to Hodge rd for the most part. Sometimes I take my handguns into Daves indoor and waste a hour or two during work.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never been to Hodge Rd.  I usually drive a little further up the 359 closer to Red Mountain (south of Ridgecrest) I don't like shooting around or with people. It seems in this area all the HRV and RV guys stay on the west side of the 395 and the shooters stay on the east.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Knowing I'd have a cute young Arfcommer in the neighborhood as a cool "good spot to go shooting" resource is really tempting, whether you would actually be right next door or not. Or wait, maybe not...maybe the idea of two 13ers, even "good" ones, actually meeting in person...head exploding.gif...

View Quote

I'm not used to guys calling me cute but this is California.  

Alta Loma is a great place.  The schools are very good if you care about that.  You will want to join the West End gun club if are into joining clubs.  It is ironic that the best club I've ever belonged to is in California.  You will find the shooting opportunities out here dwarf anything you have experienced in Ohio. I'm even applying for my CCW now.  Rancho C. is patrolled by the SB Sheriff's department so my understanding is it is much easier to get the permit.

There is another forum that deals with CALifornia GUNS and stuff.  If you haven't found it yet it's a good resource too especially about CA specific 2A topics. Not better than Arfcom but complements it well.

PM me if you are in the area again.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I've never been to Hodge Rd.  I usually drive a little further up the 359 closer to Red Mountain (south of Ridgecrest) I don't like shooting around or with people. It seems in this area all the HRV and RV guys stay on the west side of the 395 and the shooters stay on the east.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another spot I go when the fire danger isn't high is off the 330 going up to Running Springs. Not much distance but its fun to take my kids up there to plink and is only about twenty minutes from my house vs the hour up to hodge rd.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

California has some amazing features, and I can see why some people become addicted to it. Whether I end up relocating here or not, I have met some really cool people in just the last three days I have been out here, and if these people I met are all the liberal retards who are ruining your state you guys here all complain about, I cannot wait to meet some actual Arfcommers...you guys must really be awesome!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you do move out here and need anything or just wanna meetup send me an IM
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#47]
I need my lawn mowed....
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 4:10:12 PM EDT
[#48]
You should make arrangements for a guided tour with a few of your ARFCOM brothers who live in that area.  You will get so much more out of a knowledgably guided tour than you could ever get alone.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You should make arrangements for a guided tour with a few of your ARFCOM brothers who live in that area.  You will get so much more out of a knowledgably guided tour than you could ever get alone.
View Quote

truth
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Rancho Cucamonga is a contract city for the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department.
The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department issues conceal carry permits for the "good cause" of personal protection.
Therefore, you have a good chance of getting issued a conceal carry permit.
View Quote

My brother in law is a San Bernardino county Sheriff and patrols Rancho Cucamonga.
He says they approve pretty much everyone that applies for a CCW, as long as you have a clean record.
He says they even encourage citizens to get their CCW.  Personal Protection is even good enough for prob. cause.
Very friendly are of California for CCW.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top