Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2013 1:36:37 PM EDT
Gentlemen, et al:

As y'all are the experts on non-standard AR stocks, I thought I would ask you - are there any AR stocks in production that attach both to the pistol grip mount and the buffer tube mount?  Not that you could use a thumbhole stock, but Bell & Carlson has dropped production of their AR thumbhole stock, which would perfectly suit my purposes.

My purpose is to engineer a substitute standard AR lower one could build at home out of plastic, and it needs all the reinforcement it can get.  Hence my question above.  (Edited to spell piece correctly)
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's legal to make out of plastic, it's be legal to make from metal.  Make the metal lower receiver.

If you are talking about ways to circumvent the law, you're in the wrong place.

If you are talking about 3D printing a lower,...
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope, not looking to circumvent the law, trying to figure out how to build a plastic lower out of superglued Legos.  Some reinforcement in the rear would be a help - hence my interest in thumbhole stocks - the AR buffer tube/stock configuration puts a lot of pressure in that single area..  Unfortunately, your U-15 stock doesn't solve my problem as it does yours - it just moves part of my problem from the buffer tube area to the pistol grip.  The U-15 is certainly an elegant solution to your legislative problem, however.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#4]
It seems to me there an awful lot of genuinely bad ideas being pursued these days and posted on ARFCOM.  Yours is one of them.  Don't feel bad, though, check out some of the posts on the DIY forum.  

Superglued Legos for the receiver of a firearm?  Unbelievable!  Why?  

JMO, there are ways to make a functional receiver out of plastic but I think superglued Legos is not one of them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Why not?  It's been done w/ wood.  A functioning (for 3 shots : ) complete lower was milled out of wood.  

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8035&PN=1&TPN=1

That chap went on to make a lower out of kitchen mats he heat glued together - and that went on to work consistently.

If I can't do it w/ Legos, I'll @ least know the shape I need for a solid plastic block that can be drilled & whittled.  I want to do the least drilling & whittling possible, hence my interest in a stock that will somewhat reinforce the lower.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:56:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why not?  It's been done w/ wood.  A functioning (for 3 shots : ) complete lower was milled out of wood.  

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8035&PN=1&TPN=1

That chap went on to make a lower out of kitchen mats he heat glued together - and that went on to work consistently.

If I can't do it w/ Legos, I'll @ least know the shape I need for a solid plastic block that can be drilled & whittled.  I want to do the least drilling & whittling possible, hence my interest in a stock that will somewhat reinforce the lower.

I want a wood lower!

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 7:09:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Hell, I want a Lego lower!  

Ban Legos...for the children.

Not sure if the Monsterman or Exile Hammerhead is what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Recondo!  When I first saw the Monsterman & the Hammerhead, I thought they were one piece stocks.  As they're California legal pistol grips that don't reinforce the stock, they don't help to reinforce the Legos.  Remington puts out an AR w/ a 1 piece thumbhole stock, but darned if I can find that part on their website.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top