Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2013 2:43:16 PM EDT
Hi All, first post here. I'd just like to say that this site is AWESOME. Tons of good info here. However, I have a few questions that I could not find an answer to by reading the FAQs or by searching the forums. I'm hoping some of you can help me out.

I plan on building an AR-15 in the coming months. Problem is, I live in the great commie state of CA. Yeah, I know, move already. I wish it were that easy. So here are my questions:

1. To be legal, I must use the bullet button, correct? (It will be registered and used in CA). That's the way around the CA "assault weapons" ban?

2. I'm going to buy a stripped lower receiver as the first step. I'll need a lower with the bullet button already machined in place, right? Or can I modify the lower to put a bullet button feature in myself? The reason I ask is that while finding lowers in stock is tough (except for on the AWESOME thread(s) on this site), finding a lower that has the bullet button on it is even harder.

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 3/1/2013 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Bullet button does not have to be installed prior to purchasing a lower. many co's ship lowers to california, I suggest looking through the in stock lower receiver thread here:http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/603477_THE_IN_STOCK_LOWER_RECEIVER_THREAD_Part_2.html

You can purchase a Bullet button from Brownells. The only time the bullet button must be installed is when you begin assembling your lower receiver. MAKE SURE to adhere to all local county laws b4 ordering your lower, some counties do not permit lowers to be shipped.

good luck
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!

I've been watching that thread (and the original, now locked, thread) for some time now. A few buddies ordered lowers for $350. I told them there's no way I was going to spend that much when they used to sell for $100. I refuse to out of principle.

Didn't realize the bullet button was a simple replacement on the AR. For anyone stumbling on this thread, it's $19 on Brownell's website:
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-amp-action-parts/magazine-latch-parts/magazine-locks/ar-15-ar-style-308-mag-lock-bullet-button-prod40382.aspx

Called the local gunshop and shipping lowers to my county (Riverside) is no problem. $111 transfer fee though...

Thanks for the help!

Quoted:
Bullet button does not have to be installed prior to purchasing a lower. many co's ship lowers to california, I suggest looking through the in stock lower receiver thread here:http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/603477_THE_IN_STOCK_LOWER_RECEIVER_THREAD_Part_2.html

You can purchase a Bullet button from Brownells. The only time the bullet button must be installed is when you begin assembling your lower receiver. MAKE SURE to adhere to all local county laws b4 ordering your lower, some counties do not permit lowers to be shipped.

good luck

Link Posted: 3/1/2013 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Transfer fee in southern Ohio is $10 at my local gun shop.  Another reason to move  Good luck with your build.
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you checked Warrior One in Riverside? They may have some in stock.

Link Posted: 3/1/2013 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Look for another FFL to handle your lower transfer.  $111 is absolutely outrageous for a Cali transfer.  

Go to Gunbroker.com or Calguns.  They both have a searchable database listing FFLs in Cali and their fees.  Keep in mind you will be charged CA sales tax unless you can prove that you paid it in another state.

Also make sure that the lower you buy is an Off List Lower (OLL).  Your assembled weapon must have a 10 round mag and a Bullet button device installed.
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#6]
check JW guns in riverside... yes yes a google search will teach you that JW is an idiot and a few years ago did a lot of talking when he had no idea what he was talking about... he is not a good source for information however my last online transfer through him was $50 and thats the cheapest around without knowing a kitchen table FFL (there are a few and im not giving out the numbers of the ones i know)... im also not saying that you will pay $50 but its worth a shot..

warrior one had lowers either the beginning of this week or middle of last week for $125 but im pretty sure those were gone in about 2 seconds

annies get your gun in corona is still taking preorders...
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#7]
spazstic,
Where abouts are you in California, it's a big state.  Initially I thought about getting a lower online, but I could find it at a local shop (this was back in March 2012) and it saved me the transfer fee and shipping.  I think most places around me were charging $40.

For a bullet button, check out the Raddlock Bullet Button.  You can make it so that when you are out of California you can convert to a regular mag release.  Then before you cross the line, you use a simple, small flat head  (or their supplied tool) to change it back to the CA compliant button.

As others have said, you don't need a bullet button at the time of purchase.  I had my lower for several months before I installed it (I did it when I finally got the lower parts kit).  All vendors do require that you have some kind of lock to take it out of their store, though.

If you live in San Diego, I can recommend a couple places (one is a regular poster here I believe).  Actually, I can't think if any that are that bad and the selection is getting smaller.  There's also a local company that makes their own down here.  Turner's has been getting in quasi-regular shipments.  One time they were getting in Palmetto State Armory.  Lately they've had some off brand and have (in my opinion) charging too much for it.

I'm also new at this, haven't finished my first build.  But I've been here and around this stuff for about 10 years now so I've picked up a bit.  AR15.com, though, is the treasure trove.

R/Matel
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Or if you don't feel like using a bullet button, and don't care if your weapon looks like the rifle version of Senator Feinstein, you could always go featureless.

If a bullet button rifle is the way you want to go though, another suggestion for a bullet button choice is the Vamfire MLD. I have one installed in my rifle and I'm very satisfied with it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I run both featureless and BB'd weapons. If you're down in San Diego area, try Gussler down south, or if you're up north try North County Firearms. I used to do transfers at Precision Arms, but I don't know what they charge since Gene and Jerry left.  You could also give Colby a call at ...holy crap, I just looked up. they're charging a hundred bucks for a transfer. eff that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 4:20:18 AM EDT
[#10]
North san diego is a guy by the name of Brian Ambrose of Ambrose Armory. He did an ffl transfer for me on an out of state lower. The guy I bought it from would not send the lower to any ffl that didn't fax over a copy of their FFL to him. I had a hard time finding anyone to fax over their ffl's, but Brian came through for me. Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted: (Riverside) is no problem. $111 transfer fee though...

too much.  try bright spot pawn in Jurupa Valley or ammo bros.

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 7:08:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Or if you don't feel like using a bullet button, and don't care if your weapon looks like the rifle version of Senator Feinstein, you could always go featureless.

not true.  featureless builds are not old bloated elitist hags full of hate and hypocrisy.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 5:12:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Look for another FFL to handle your lower transfer.  $111 is absolutely outrageous for a Cali transfer.  

Go to Gunbroker.com or Calguns.  They both have a searchable database listing FFLs in Cali and their fees.  Keep in mind you will be charged CA sales tax unless you can prove that you paid it in another state.

Also make sure that the lower you buy is an Off List Lower (OLL).  Your assembled weapon must have a 10 round mag and a Bullet button device installed.

Is a new DPMS A-15 lower legal to sell to a CA resident?
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is a new DPMS A-15 lower legal to sell to a CA resident?

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a490/Finnbear1/DPMSlower_zpsc2176d44.jpg
From the CA DOJ banned list:

"DPMS

Panther (all)"

The one you have posted says "Panther Arms"?

Link Posted: 3/6/2013 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#15]
The confusion and ambiguity derives from the model number.  DPMS is listed as banned but that is for AR-15 models.  The post shows a model A-15, not AR-15.  

Back when the list was published, I believe "Panther" was the name DPMS used for their entire line of AR-15's and each would also say "MODEL AR-15" on the receiver.  It's been about two decades since then, so I could be misremembering this.  There has been two intervening decades since I considered buying a DPMS AR.

It does seem dicey, to me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Since the list shows "DPMS Panther (all)", to be safe, I'm going to assume that includes mine. I will not be selling it to the gentleman from CA.
Thanks for the help
Finnbear
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#17]
The DOJ lists are those ARs which are illegal in CA.  The DPMS lower pictured above is not legal in CA.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#18]
For whatever its worth: JD Machine (http://www.jdmachinetech.com/) is in San Diego and they claim to be filling orders for over the counter sales before suppliers.  I bought my JD lower from Team Big Shot, also here in SD for $110 (gun show special) plus $30 fees.  FYI gun show this weekend in Del Mar.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The DOJ lists are those ARs which are illegal in CA.  The DPMS lower pictured above is not legal in CA.

That is why I stated " I will not be selling it to the gentleman from CA." three posts up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 8:57:26 PM EDT
[#20]
You can also get the standard bullet buttons on amazon.com for $6.99 (GRG Mfg).  They work great for what they are.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top