Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2017 8:13:21 PM EDT
Looking to get into reloading.  Want to take a reloading class locally.  Unfortunately, closest NRA class is in Sarasota at 7am.  Anybody know of local alternatives to NRA in Pinellas County?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:42:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Put on the thickest skin you have, and go talk to Bob at Harbor Reloading. He's the best resource for reloading questions in the area.

Bob is no BS straight shooter. He's short (to the point you think he's rude until you get to know him), and doesn't joke. But he will answer your questions with his encyclopedic knowledge. He will talk your ear off.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#2]
With all the resources and materials on line, just self-educate. If you were closer to me I'd have you over for a day. Tons of great videos on YouTube.

There are a few basic rules for the beginner...

1. Use only reputable verified load data... never just take data at face value.
2. Start low (usually 10%) and slowly work up.
3. Use only known-source components in original packaging.
4. Always inspect components and gear before each session.
5. Avoid multi-tasking and pay attention.
6. Wash hands well after all operations.

You're going to want multiple reloading books/manuals/pamphlets... they are made by both bullet manufactures, as well as powder manufactures, and many have step-by-step reloading instructions. Some go in depth as to why certain aspects of the reloading process is important.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put on the thickest skin you have, and go talk to Bob at Harbor Reloading. He's the best resource for reloading questions in the area.

Bob is no BS straight shooter. He's short (to the point you think he's rude until you get to know him), and doesn't joke. But he will answer your questions with his encyclopedic knowledge. He will talk your ear off.
View Quote
Good call.  Bob knows reloading, and is well stocked with the tools and components.  As a plus his store is kind of a mini museum of military ord.

You could buy stuff cheaper elsewhere, but he will have everything you need and an education on how to use it.  He often has used presses for sale.

The only time I have seen Bob smile is when I brought my 6 month old pup in his store.  Heck, he even went in his fridge to get the pup a treat.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
just read the lyman manual and ask the reloading forum questions.  worked for me.  YMMV?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looking to get into reloading.  Want to take a reloading class locally.  Unfortunately, closest NRA class is in Sarasota at 7am.  Anybody know of local alternatives to NRA in Pinellas County?
View Quote
Where in Pinellas are you?

I'm in Shore Acres if you need someone to over the shoulder your work.  You can go crazy with the level of technique/detail or go with basic/safe techniques.  What you plan to do with your reloads will have an impact on your approach.  You're call.

Aquire and read at least a couple reloading books/manuals and watch these for more info on the intricacies.  

I've been reloading for 10+ years and still watch these from time to time.

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:46:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is the most accurate post I've ever read on the internet.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:46:34 AM EDT
[#7]
No matter what your questions are,how thick your skin,you still need to meet Bobby at Harbor reload.
He is the best in Tampabay and has just about anything you want in reloading IMHO
don't ask him to crank up the Big blue machine out back, he may make you feel "little" lmao
You can also give a call to "RELOAD" gun range in Tarpon a good group of people working there.
They also have the only open to the public  "Simulator" in the state,its impressive to say the least.
I'm new to posting of AR hope I'm not repeating the stuff on RELOAD in Tarpon
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn Tommy, are you just posting to get your post count up?

Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#9]
you will learn alot quicker if you do it like i did....buy a used dillon 650 and go to town! i still remember the old timer beside me at the range the first batch that i tried.....he said he was only laughing because he did the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds stupid, but watch a bunch of youtube videos first.  I learned the basics and have been reloading 9mm with a simple Lee single stage press. Very easy really once you understand each step.  I keep a log of everything I do so when I come back I don't make mistakes.

Rifle cartridges are a little more complicated, but not much.

You are also doing the salesman a favor by not coming in completely clueless.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:33:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good call.  Bob knows reloading, and is well stocked with the tools and components.  As a plus his store is kind of a mini museum of military ord.

You could buy stuff cheaper elsewhere, but he will have everything you need and an education on how to use it.  He often has used presses for sale.

The only time I have seen Bob smile is when I brought my 6 month old pup in his store.  Heck, he even went in his fridge to get the pup a treat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whew!  I thought it was just me.

Bob helped me with my 45 Colt when powder was scarce.  He hooked me up with some Green Dot, which I never would have thought to use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top