Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2017 5:10:12 PM EDT
Hey everyone will be relocating soon, Im planning on renting the first year till I get a feel for where I wanna settle any recommendations on countys? towns? all input is appreciated.

At the moment Sarasota is high on the list followed close by North Naples, Only so much I can tell from research and visits to the areas. I prefer living near the coast but have also looked at Winter Springs near Orlando.

And If it helps with suggestions Im headed into law enforcement, the Hillsborough County Sheriffs office has caught my eye hence the whole Sarasota being high on the list thing.

Thanks!! Also gun shop / range suggestions would be great everythings banned up here so Im ready to buy everything in sight once Im there.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey everyone will be relocating soon, Im planning on renting the first year till I get a feel for where I wanna settle any recommendations on countys? towns? all input is appreciated.

At the moment Sarasota is high on the list followed close by North Naples, Only so much I can tell from research and visits to the areas. I prefer living near the coast but have also looked at Winter Springs near Orlando.

And If it helps with suggestions Im headed into law enforcement, the Harrisburg County Sheriffs office has caught my eye hence the whole Sarasota being high on the list thing.

Thanks!! Also gun shop / range suggestions would be great everythings banned up here so Im ready to buy everything in sight once Im there.
View Quote

I think you might have your counties mixed up.

Anyway, most Florida sheriff's departments are looking for sworn officers.  Volusia county is short, I think, 33 deputies the sheriff said today.

Can't recommend any shops or ranges until you give us a better idea where you might settle down.

My personal opinion is that you want to stay away from south east Florida.  The whole Palm Beach County and south area is not where I would want to be a cop or just a gun hobbyist for that matter.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Be sure to look at housing costs. North Naples rent will be a bitch!
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
We just bought a 2nd home in North Naples basically near I-75 and Immokalee.  I was surprised how much we got for our money (in the scheme of things)  and how reasonable the real estate taxes are in Collier County.  My home in Ohio is valued similar to what we bought in Florida for and the taxes in Ohio are basically 3X as much.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
It can be the biggest bitch it wants to be but it will never be what CT is like lol big portion of the reason behind the move is cost of living up here.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
One bed,one bath in an A+ community Will run 900-1k$ in east central Florida.
Bump up to a 2/2,3/2 and your looking at 1500+-$.
Unless you go lower on condition,amenities, and location.
Homes will run 7-1500+$. I live 40 miles from the cost.
Shitty trailer/manufactureds run over 700$.

Cheaper to buy..imho.

As said..stay outta south east Florida.
But your from up north ....so you'd fit right in.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It can be the biggest bitch it wants to be but it will never be what CT is like lol big portion of the reason behind the move is cost of living up here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's all relative, I took a pay cut and bennies to come to the GUN SHINE State.

But I was getting too old and no back up at my old Co. and still doing grungy work
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#7]
HCSO is hiring and sponsoring the academy.

But Sarasota and Orlando will be a long ass drive.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I would really suggest having your job before actually moving and picking your spot. Be sure to do your research on pay scales,  step plans and recent contract terms and commissioners support historically and currently.  These factors are very different from county to county and can make the difference between a career. Gov. Rick Scott also changed FRS rules so new employees in high risk (leo and fire) now have to do 30yrs to retire as apposed to 25 when I started.

That being said if you end up in the winter haven area and are looking to buy let me know. I have a home I plan to sell soon.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#9]
HCSO has some good opportunities these days. You will probably want to reside in Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas or Manatee counties though, for a sane commute to work.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 7:14:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Good luck vortex, im finishing loading my trailer today and hitting the rd first thing tomorrow morning.  My son starts school there next week.  We've had a home in brooksville for 5 years now and used it for vaca but making it official.  My ct home taxes went up 1000 dollars this year with no end in sight to the cost increases here.  Can't afford to live here when your income is mostly going to pay taxes.  My wife and i both own businesses so we pay a lot more tax then most here.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Two very different areas.  I am just north of Naples, moving to Naples in about 3 weeks.  I have family in Sarasota.  Other than shooting, what other hobbies and things you enjoy doing?  Do you like nightlife or more relaxed evenings?  If you are set on Hillsborough for your job, then Sarasota.  HC is about 2 HRS from my area.  Sarasota is very artsy area, tons to do, good nightlife.....there is a lot more tourism in Sarasota with Siesta Key and St. Armand's circle right there.  Naples area has a good amount to do as well, more relaxed area.  There was just an article about rents in Lee & Collier counties, it is averaging in the $2k neighborhood depending on area, size, amenities, etc...

As far as shooting, there are more outdoor ranges towards the Sarasota area, having said that, from June to October I wouldn't want to shoot outside unless you are there when they open and shoot for a few hours.  

Shoot me a pm if you gave any questions.  I've lived here for 12 yrs and have seen the changes to my area.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm in Manatee (Palmetto) and love it here. I think I read Sarasota and Manatee are among the fastest growing counties in the country, and I also think prices reflect that. Over winter the population swells all along the coast. The Skyway bridge makes getting north to St Pete and Tampa a cinch but winds, other really bad weather and the occasional jumper will see it closed off a few times a year.

Also seems to be more sportiness up in Pasco and Hillsborough than Manatee and Sarasota from a crime standpoint, but I'm still fairly new to FL

There are several indoor ranges in the area (pistol in Palmetto and at least 3 rifle/pistol in Sarasota) as well as a substantial outdoor range (Manatee Gun and Archery Club) with a 1000 yard range ... a few threads on here about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top