Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2017 7:25:39 PM EDT
Fairly new to reloading, and fairly new to Florida - been on the SW side about 2 years now.

Where does everyone reload during the summer? Garage? "Workshop" under AC? Used to live in the Midwest, and most of my friends either reloaded in their garage or a basement shop area.

Trying to figure out where to mount my press now that we own our house, but we are somewhat limited on space. I can set up a small bench (4x2ft maybe?) in my office, but it is currently carpeted (static?). Also thought about the garage, but would prefer to avoid the heat, and also assume the humidity isn't that great for the powder and all. Could insulate it of course, but don't have the immediate funds for that at the moment.

Where do you reload?

Thanks fellas!
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Fairly new to reloading, and fairly new to Florida - been on the SW side about 2 years now.

Where does everyone reload during the summer? Garage? "Workshop" under AC? Used to live in the Midwest, and most of my friends either reloaded in their garage or a basement shop area.

Trying to figure out where to mount my press now that we own our house, but we are somewhat limited on space. I can set up a small bench (4x2ft maybe?) in my office, but it is currently carpeted (static?). Also thought about the garage, but would prefer to avoid the heat, and also assume the humidity isn't that great for the powder and all. Could insulate it of course, but don't have the immediate funds for that at the moment.

Where do you reload?

Thanks fellas!
View Quote

I reload in batches.  Usually 100 rounds per caliber.  If you are into progressive reloading what I do does not apply to you.

I do all of my case prep in the garage.  If it is really hot out, I may leave the man door from the house into the garage open for about a half hour before I start.   So, everything from original sorting and tumbling, decapping, to sizeing is done in the heat and humility of the garage.  Of course I don't sit there while the cases tumble, I start a batch of whatever amount and then leave.

Priming.  I use a Lee hand primer.  I sit on the floor in front of the couch and turn on something like fox or c-span. Just something that does not require any attention. Full air-conditioning at this point. I sit and prime (my girlfriend call them "buttons") and check each case by hand.  I run my finger over each primer and look to make sure the primer is not upside down.  I put 100 primed cases in a ziplock.

Now the primed cases get stored inside a guest bedroom closet  in a temperature controlled environment.

When I am ready to drop powder and seat projectiles (my girlfriend calls them "hats") I set up on the kitchen counter to drop powder (my powder dropper is mounted on a 12 inch x 12 inch base) and place the projectile on the top of the case. Sometimes my girlfriend likes to put on the hats. I have convinced her that this is "fun."

I use trays of 50.  I measure (weight) the first and last powder drop and check each case with a small flashlight. No omissions and no doubles. Then the projectiles are placed on top.

Last, the tray of 50 is carried to the garage (where the press is) and the bullets seated.  I try and keep the exposure of the round to temp and humility to a minimum.

I do two trays, thus 100 rounds.  Only because primers come packed, per 100.

I have been doing this for almost exactly 30 years with no squibs or ka-booms. Take your time.  Keep your powder dry.

I then inspect each round as I put them in an appropriate box with a label with the date and load data.

In other words.  Anything that involves primer or powder gets done inside, everything else gets done outside (in the garage.)

I'm not sure you asked, I have a 2 foot by 8 foot bench made out of a 4x8 sheet of partial board ripped in half, painted and covered in indoor outdoor carpet except for the actual location of the press.  I have a vise at the other end for gunsmithing.  This has done everything I have ever needed to do for 40 years.

Hope that helps
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#2]
When I had my house built, it included my own "man cave". I keep all my reloading paraphernalia and ammo in a climate controlled environment.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I just got into reloading and set my press up in garage on my work bench.  Well, it's too dam hot I. The garage so I am going to buy a small wooden bench that Harbor Frieght sells and relocate to the spare bedroom in the nice cool AC.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 6:25:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I reload in the garage but use a portable A/C in there.  Powder and primers are stored inside the house.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Garage, climate controlled though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Case prep and actual loading in the garage (progressive press). Gauging afterwards is done indoors. Whatever is left in the powder hopper stays there in the garage. It's a Dillon and the lid to the powder measure has a pretty damn good seal, so maybe that helps.

I haven't had any issues with this here in humid Tampa Bay, but I only have 3 years under my belt with this arrangement.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Reloaded here for 30 years, always the garage, or for the last 15, my shop.

I do have a window shaker in the shop, but it's only on when I'm out there.

All of my powder and primers live out there in the heat and humidity.

Never noticed any issues.

I will sit and do some chores in the house, like deburring primer holes and hand priming while watching TV, but sizing, tumbling,  weighing charges and

bullet seating all take place in the shop.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I reload in one our spare bedrooms.  It's set up as my reloading room/gun room/office.  AKA-where all my shit goes.

Edit-No way in hell I'd be reloading in the garage here in Florida.  I do enough work in the yard/garage and don't need to lose anymore weight from sweating.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#10]
in my old house, the press was in the garage, and powders where kept inside when not being used. In our new house, it's all in my office/man cave.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I had my house built, it included my own "man cave". I keep all my reloading paraphernalia and ammo in a climate controlled environment.
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I set up my back bedroom for all my reloading and gun-related activities.

One of the advantages of being single is you get to do anything you want with the house.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This is what I am doing

ETA- You really want to keep loose powder stored in a climate controlled environment. Otherwise, it can clump in powder hoppers or it can suck up moisture and affect weighed charges or cause later problems with loaded ammo. Loading in a hot, humid environment is just not a good idea if you can at all help it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks fellas! Appreciate all the responses.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I reload in a spare bedroom with carpeting.  The only thing I don't do there is clean the brass.  I set up the tumblers outside on the patio and let them run.  Otherwise, everything is done indoors.

The one tip I would give is to get a small ShopVac to vacuum up any spilled powder.  You don't want to use your house vac for this.  The powder will accumulate in the vac.  Even if you are careful, there is always a tiny amount of powder that gets spilled.  I leave the ShopVac outside and dump it out in the grass once in awhile.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I currently reload and have all of my gun/hobby stuff setup in the spare bedroom.  I'm just too afraid of the humidity, even with the dehumidifier I keep in my garage for my tools.

My current 30x50 metal pole barn is an oven, even for short emergency fixes of the tractor in the summer.  The previous owner left all of his tools and equipment, and if it can rust, it does.  So, I wouldn't leave any powder in a garage or shed.  I plan on restoring and refinishing anything I can, since I bought a blast cabinet to help with finishing parts kit builds.  

Hope is to build a 3rd building, maybe 40x50, on the property soon.  Want to then enclose a small 12x30 portion and keep it climate controlled as a bigger r/c, electronics, gun reloading/ammo storage hobby room.  Then the rest be my workshop and have it just dehumidified with maybe a portable A/C if I have to do anything in there during the summer.  Then I also will stop hearing complaints about wanting the guest bedroom usable again.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:28:59 AM EDT
[#17]
When I lived in Florida I reloaded in the garage.  When I upgraded the garage door it was insulated and pretty well sealed.  My downstairs a/c handler was on the garage.  I had a vent installed that I could open and close as needed.  It leaked enough air when closed to keep the garage cool.  Unless I opened the garage door the temperature was just a few degrees above the in house temp.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I reload in my Sanctum Sanctorum.  My wife won't even go back there to clean.  lol
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I recently build a reloading bench that is 3' x 2'.  It now lives in my den.  I do all reloading operations there except - I tumble cases in the garage and I trim cases at/on our dining room table...  I could do the trimming on my bench but it is easier and more comfortable in the dining room.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Warehouse workshop away from home...

I store a fare amount of powder and primers in locked containers in my warehouse...

Three reloading benches ~ MEC 9000G Shotgun 12 gauge / Dillon 550 ~ Rifle Reloading Bench / RCBS ~ Pistol Reloading Bench

I keep each bench strictly under control with individual powder magazines and Primer locked storage cabinet cages...  Helps keep everything in order...
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#21]
When I reloaded I reloaded in my garage during the winter months. Stack it deep. Ause i didn't shoot much during the blazing summer anyways. I don't reload anymore, been meaning to tally uo everything and list it for sale or trade.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#22]
The press is bolted on a storage case with wheels.
The storage case has drawers to store most tools and reloading stuff.
I can reload where it best suits me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top