Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2017 11:13:50 AM EDT
little boy got hit by a man o war jellyfish on the south end of Keywaddin Island last week. (Marco)

Don't remember ever seeing one this far north before.

They called EMS but someone hit him with an Epipen before they got there.

So, once the wifey and I were at Bahia Honda beach in the keys and she comes walking up carrying this purple balloon
with strings hanging down. Sure, she wanted to know what it was. I told her she was about to get paralyzed.

I have been around lots of them but only seen other people get stung.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
little boy got hit by a man o war jellyfish on the south end of Keywaddin Island last week. (Marco)

Don't remember ever seeing one this far north before.

They called EMS but someone hit him with an Epipen before they got there.

So, once the wifey and I were at Bahia Honda beach in the keys and she comes walking up carrying this purple balloon
with strings hanging down. Sure, she wanted to know what it was. I told her she was about to get paralyzed.

I have been around lots of them but only seen other people get stung.
View Quote

obviously your spouse is not from Florida ......
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:38:21 AM EDT
[#2]
In xmas 07 I was at key west the public beach there had scores of them washed up on it.  never seen one before or since.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 5:15:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:15:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I got stung once by a Portuguese Man-O-War while diving for Lobster out of West Palm Beach. I got hit on my face and arms as I was at the surface swimming to the boat. My mask protected my eyes but it was pretty bad everywhere else.

In pain for several weeks. I was working minimum wage jobs at the time so I had to go to work if I wanted to get paid.

The weird thing is that even almost 30 years later, if I get stung by a Wasp, I still get mild reactions at the places where the tentacles got me. Not horrible, just enough to remind me.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Long ago had one to the face paddling out. Holy Shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top