Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2017 11:17:28 AM EDT
I am an avid offshore fishermen, mainly for pelagics. I am considering taking the wife and heading to the keys for a fishing adventure (dorado, wahoo), nothing big.
There seem to be about a million choices so, which key? who should i fish with (charter)? I'm not into the touristy stuff. I would like a nice quiet place to stay, good people and a trust worthy Captain.
If any group knows about these things I figure it would be y'all.
Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Dont know any captains down there but Islamorada or Marathon is the key you want... What is your lodging price range?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Head on over to the Islander Resort in Islamorada website. They have links and bio's to local captains they work with.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Bud N Mary's at Islamorada is fantastic.

Bud N Mary's

Capt. Nick Stanczyk posts pretty much daily reports on his facebook page.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bud N Mary's at Islamorada is fantastic.

Bud N Mary's

Capt. Nick Stanczyk posts pretty much daily reports on his facebook page.
View Quote
This!!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dont know any captains down there but Islamorada or Marathon is the key you want... What is your lodging price range?
View Quote
+1

i also prefer to go last week of november first week of december. nice temps, no yankees (yet), but it's breezy. i stay at "the hammocks at marathon". it fills all of my needs while i am there.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you very much for the replies! I'm checking out the links now.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I would also recommend Marathon or Islamorada.

You can rent a house on the water for ~$1000/week (1br) or ~$1700/week (2br).

http://rentalsfloridakeys.net/?ct_mls=&ct_community=0&ct_rental_guests=&ct_beds=2&ct_baths=0&ct_additional_features=0&ct_price_to=&search-listings=true

If you're wanting to do A LOT of fishing, Two Conch charters has fishing packages that include an apartment.

http://twoconchs.com/fishing-package/

For dolphin/wahoo, you'll want to get down there within the next month.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:45:52 PM EDT
[#8]
you need to hurry hurricane season is here already
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:54:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey Jim!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#10]
The Strike Zone on Big Pine key, Larry is the guy you need to see.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey Jim!!
View Quote
hey man!!!
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

hey man!!!
View Quote
Ran the Thompson today, she did ok

If you are going to be down in Fl after between Aug 28 and Sept 26 I might be able to run down there for a day.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:39:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would also recommend Marathon or Islamorada.

You can rent a house on the water for ~$1000/week (1br) or ~$1700/week (2br).

http://rentalsfloridakeys.net/?ct_mls=&ct_community=0&ct_rental_guests=&ct_beds=2&ct_baths=0&ct_additional_features=0&ct_price_to=&search-listings=true

If you're wanting to do A LOT of fishing, Two Conch charters has fishing packages that include an apartment.

http://twoconchs.com/fishing-package/

For dolphin/wahoo, you'll want to get down there within the next month.
View Quote
I lived in Marathon for quite a while and got to know a lot of people while residing there.  Capt. Jack Carlson is the way to go (TwoConchs) he's a local guy who grew up in the area and has produced big fish and catches for years.  No flash in the pan guide just a maniac fisherman.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Not a fisherman but do fish occasionally...my mother-in-law lives down there and we visit often. That said, stay away from tourist traps. Be nice to locals (they hate tourists...specially people that think they are owed extra special treatment). As far as where to go...Big Pine has some good fishing. we do go to downtown key west to go eat at good restaurants every now and then.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Islamorado has better restaurants and Marathon has better reefs. Both have great fishing. I just got back yesterday. Mahi were less then 7 miles out, but weather was windy. Got one good day in. I bring my boat so no luck giving recommends on Capts, When in Marathon we rent a house in Isla we stay at Coral bay. Great snorkeling out back good people very cheap. Stay out of the water past 9pm. Crocs come out to feed. Probably never get you, but an 8 plus swam right by the dock a couple times. I think they come to get skeletons of the days catch. If you decide which one your going to post up and I'm sure we can all direct you to good places to feast, and the ones to stay away from. There are definitely places you do not want to eat.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Islamorada is still one of the best kept secrets in the Keys (so don't tell anybody ).

I HIGHLY recommend Capt. Brian McCadie who operates of of Robbie's Marina at MM77. Brian is just a super guy and a very good charter captain. He can plan a trip based on anything YOU want to do (not just what he wants to do or what is easy for him to do). He can make it a casual fun day for families with kids who just want some constant action of Yellowtail and Blue Runners along with swimming, snorkling, sightseeing or he can organize a serious trip for hardy men looking for a chance to hook into trophy fish,  and everything in between. He always keeps a good command of the boat but will keep you fully involved in every part of your adventure. You won't just be a spectator, it will be YOUR fishing adventure.

You can contact him on Facebook or through Robbie's Marina Captains bios.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I heard there were crocs in Islamorada.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I heard there were crocs in Islamorada.
View Quote
Yes! Yes there are

I got a pic but can't figure out how to upload them anymore
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Mangrove Mama's on Sugarloaf has great eats.
The Strike Zone, Larry is the man to see for fishing on Big Pine Key.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top