Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2017 7:34:17 AM EDT
Hi, looking to flee NY, and considering the areas around St. Augustine. Ideal house would have enough land to shoot on, but from looking at realtor.com it seems I won't really find that in this area. Me: retired cop with pension, girlfriend also retired with a pension, house budget up to 350. I do plan on working again when I finish up some more school. Good schools are a requirement, minimal FSA presence in the area as well. Nice outdoor rifle range would be a big plus.
  I know Jacksonville is a dump, but are there any areas I should look at or avoid? Any gun shop suggestions for when I visit the area again?
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Go west young man...

Or south to west flagler/bunnel. 

Land ain't cheap. But 350k 30+ minutes west of the coast can get you a decent spread.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't help with the area, ( westside of Jaxs here) but a awesome gun store is Gun Gallery of of beach blvd . Checkem out , you wont be dispointed.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#3]
^^^^ What Protus said... The St Augustine area is nice but if you go south a little or west a little you can get a lot more bang for your buck and away from the people a little. Lots of things to do in the area.

Offroad stuff, springs, anything water related, hunting, fishing and a little bit more laid back.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#4]
It will be relatively difficult to find land for shooting that a) isn't heinously expensive or b) won't be adjacent to a subdivision or an elementary school in a few years
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
^^^^ What Protus said... The St Augustine area is nice but if you go south a little or west a little you can get a lot more bang for your buck and away from the people a little. Lots of things to do in the area.

Offroad stuff, springs, anything water related, hunting, fishing and a little bit more laid back.
View Quote
Yup, situate yourself between Gainesville, Bunnell, St. Augustine, 30 minute drive to the coast, good schools around Gainesville, Land is Cheaper.

Check Out the Bradford Sportsmans Farm
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:40:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Best schools are in St. Johns County.

Better land deals are more west of St. Johns and in more desolate areas.  These two items do not go hand in hand - so you will have to decide what you want to be a priority.

350K does buy a lot here in Florida.

Spend 250ish on a nice house in the NW part of St. Johns and 100K on land out in the boonies - that way you will be set.

Red
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:30:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I live just north of St A. And it's a great place. Three ranges just minutes away out to 800. Skeet, trap, sporting clays and pistol. Schools are very good in St. John's County. Check out Nocatee. I have lived out here 7 years now and love it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I live just north of St A. And it's a great place. Three ranges just minutes away out to 800. Skeet, trap, sporting clays and pistol. Schools are very good in St. John's County. Check out Nocatee. I have lived out here 7 years now and love it.
View Quote
 @Slug-O  which ones?  I'm looking for a place to shoot down there. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#9]
The salt water range has pistol shotgun and rifle out to 800 yards across from the airport
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top