Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2017 2:29:07 PM EDT
I am usually a poo-pooer about Hurricane threats. Born and raised here all of my life (save a few childhood years in Texas, but I digress) typically I really only have been in (not near) one major storm and that was Charlie. I did not suffer any damage, save a 4x8" sheet and some shingles replaced. That being said, don't do as I do, I am a native. We are in a class by ourselves (hurricane hardhead).

As a native, I also have my own barometer for forecasting hurricane season. It is simple. Heavy rain early in the rainy season= a busy year. I believe this year will be moderately heavy. This is not a science, so save the bandwidth with trying to prove me wrong with past years rain records. This is my prediction. Nothing else.

Keep your powder dry!!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:50:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Good way to start off my life in Florida.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good way to start off my life in Florida.
View Quote
Get used to it.
Need help, send IM.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Charlie made a right hand turn it wasn't supposed to make.
Caught my neighbors mother unaware. She called down here (Naples) and told her son to come get me.

They saw semi's on I 75 flying through the air.

Rule No. 1. Don't trust the the forecast track. Be ready. Keep yer eyes open.

Oh yeh, when it turned right it went from a 2 to a 4.
==================================

Lemme see, Andrew that was headed to Homestead (south Miami)
blew up from a Cat. 2 or 3 to a 5 in Homestead. It was still blowing a solid Cat. 4 when it got to Naples.

Sooo, yer not safe if you live in the middle of the state either.

One year in August we went 3 weeks without electric. Either 4 or 5 hurricanes crisscrossed the state, one after the other.

Durnit, now I need to get gas and crank the  generator.

All you first year Yankees take heed and don't forget the bug repellant.

Anyone needs help, send IM.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:01:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Charlie made a right hand turn it wasn't supposed to make.
Caught my neighbors mother unaware. She called down here (Naples) and told her son to come get me.

They saw semi's on I 75 flying through the air.

Rule No. 1. Don't trust the the forecast track. Be ready. Keep yer eyes open.

Oh yeh, when it turned right it went from a 2 to a 4.
==================================

Lemme see, Andrew that was headed to Homestead (south Miami)
blew up from a Cat. 2 or 3 to a 5 in Homestead. It was still blowing a solid Cat. 4 when it got to Naples.

Sooo, yer not safe if you live in the middle of the state either.

One year in August we went 3 weeks without electric. Either 4 or 5 hurricanes crisscrossed the state, one after the other.

Durnit, now I need to get gas and crank the  generator.

All you first year Yankees take heed and don't forget the bug repellant.

Anyone needs help, send IM.
View Quote
I'm getting too old to ride out a storm, but I'm getting too old to bug out.

Guess I will just deal with what God brings.

I bought a back-up generator during tax free weekend.  Need to overhaul the carb on the primary.  Other than that, I'm ready.  I need to get off my butt.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:22:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:02:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's to hoping any hurricanes skip Florida and curl up the coast to throttle NY/NJ.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:27:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm getting too old to ride out a storm, but I'm getting too old to bug out.

Guess I will just deal with what God brings.

I bought a back-up generator during tax free weekend.  Need to overhaul the carb on the primary.  Other than that, I'm ready.  I need to get off my butt.
View Quote
Do you have nat gas where your at? I would never be without a generator but if theres no power theres probably no gasoline ether.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#8]
'04 was a rough year for us. Had to replace a roof. Lots of time spent in the garage with a generator running the window AC unit we put in there for poker games. Always woke up at 3am sweating when the gas ran out though.

Hurricanes don't scare me at all. I love when the yankees move down here and get scared out of their minds over them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:39:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Do you have nat gas where your at? I would never be without a generator but if theres no power theres probably no gasoline ether.
View Quote
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0500-0599/0526/Sections/0526.143.html
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
No natural gas available.  Those that can afford it bury a propane tank.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I can accurately tell you about the the 2017 hurricane season,  as soon as it's over.   :)

Prudent folks are prepared for whatever,  all the time.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the link i wasn't aware of that thats good to know.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Having lived in South Florida for past 45 years I've been through couple hurricanes.  Most were not very strong and caused only minor damages but Andrew was totally different and waaayyy more powerful.  Area I lived in was north of Andrew's eye and we saw sustained winds speeds of 130 mph.  We had a large oak tree that fell during the storm and missed our roof by inches.  After the storm passed we had no running water for 14 days and no electricity for 11 day.  Days after Andrew was hot as hell.  Since Andrew I don't take any hurricane lightly and have made several improvements to my house to better withstand hurricane force wind.  Also around early May my wife and I start to stock up on canned food and bottled water.  By end of June we usually keep enough food in pantry for 15 days (plus 40 MRE) and 80 gallons of bottled water.  We also keep 5 propane tanks, 50 gallons of gas, portable a/c,  a primary and backup generator and $500 in small denomination bills and quarters.  I also keep a shotgun and pair of handguns (Glock 19s) for me and my wife.  Finally we keep a large first aid kit and medications for 30 days.  Most hurricanes are not very storing and only cause minor damages but every once in a while a powerful one will come this way and eventually will hit us again.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry, double tap.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I want to hear some horror stories from those who evacuated and they wouldn't let you go home.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Well this is science let me help a littel

this sit shows current sea surface temperatures of the Pacific if It is an EL NINO you will see alot of red , oranges ae more neutral blues & such illustrate a La nina

now the North & South Atlantic also oscillate and have the same phenomena but with less water involved the  global effect is not as pronounced.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:57:23 AM EDT
[#17]
In my many years and multiple storms I've been through, I've come to the realization that there are some solid guidelines I follow when it comes to tropical weather. Mainly is that if a storm is a category 3 or less, I'm not going anywhere. After Andrew and the updated building codes on homes built after Andrew, most permanent structure homes can easily withstand a Cat. 3 with maybe some shingle tabs popped. The caveat to that: if you live by a coastal body of water (which I don't), or have a house surrounded by large trees (which I don't)....have an exit plan. The trees inland and the water in the coastal areas are what does the damage. The wind is an annoyance. Yes, I know that flying debris is a concern but that's what hurricane shutters are for.

Otherwise, gas up the generator, have plenty of beer, and be safe.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I love when the yankees move down here and get scared out of their minds over them.
View Quote
I guess I'm the exception. Born and raised on Long island. I've had my fair share of hurricanes growing up. This storm was interesting to deal with. Most places had no electricity for over a week. Water was only available from wells, if you were lucky to have or know someone with one.

I think this song goes well with the storm:
Laura Branigan - Gloria [1982]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I want to hear some horror stories from those who evacuated and they wouldn't let you go home.
View Quote
When Ivan was coming we evacuated due to our proximity to the bay. But we returned so early (actually driving through the remaining bands of the storm with the emergency vehicles) we were able to get home before the roads were closed down. We lucked out considering all the bridges got closed down for inspection after the I-10 bridge collapsed.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here's to hoping any hurricanes skip Florida and curl up the coast to throttle NY/NJ.
View Quote
It would be nice
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#21]
last year was Fun but I do not need it this year again

I survived Felix when it hit Bermuda back in 1995 that was Epic
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I was here for one month and then experienced my first Cat 4 Hurricane last year.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was here for one month and then experienced my first Cat 4 Hurricane last year.  
View Quote
No you didn't

that was a 1 for the people living in the beach at best

i say that so u don't get silly thinking a cat 4 is nothing 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Been here since '54. I have all the preps even shutters. 3 Gennys, 11 5 gal gas cans, Coleman stove, propane converter, 4 propane tanks, enough food and booze for an extended period. Window shaker for Master and bath. Because of all this I'm pretty sure they will all miss us.

These are pretty practical for water storage. Get one. Water Bob.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:26:07 AM EDT
[#25]
the biggest problem in S Florida is there is no where to evacuate.

You honestly should never run north from a storm. When Hugo hit in 89 A friend of mines family ran from Hilton head to Ohio the storm chased them the whole way.  In south  Florida evac is kind of stupid the roads will be clogged gasoline/hotel prices will be sky high. you maybe safer staying in your town than stuck on 75 or 95.

even after the storm we can have so many stupid rednecks from out of state trying to make a quick buck with chainsaws they get lost and cause havoc a good friend of mine was put in a wheel chair for life after Andrew when a guy  from NC hit him  trying to hurry to a downed tree.   In North  Miami.

ALSO BE WARY OF SNAKES AFTER THE STORM
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#26]
We are already flooded here in North Florida. I dread the thought a big blow anytime soon.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Have only been living here since 95.  The most we've gone without power has been 24 hours. But this year I'm not feeling to lucky. So for the 1st time we have a generator. I'll have to flip some breakers but it'll get us by. Have enough gas cans for 35 gals. The gen will also run on LP. Just don't feel like dropping the coin to keep that much LP on hand. The gas I can get on short notice and then use it up in the wife's car and small tractor. Still need to make shutters for this house too.  There's enough plywood and osb around to get by but would like to make some out of corrugated steel this time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top