Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2017 10:45:41 AM EDT
I've been browsing the home buying apps for properties in west Pinellas county, looking for an excuse to move back.  I've noticed a number of homes and townhomes where the prices are dropping.  I know absolutely nothing about real estate, is there something I should be cautious about?  Looking particularly in Seminole and Largo, but really anywhere across the bay from Tampa.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 5:49:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Lol

No there is nothing to be worried about man.

Prices have increased like 10% a year for 3 years almost everywhere and a total of 50% in some neighborhoods since the recession. That has made folks realize they can finally get out from being underwater and the market got a bit too flooded.

This will always be an area that's in demand due to the immense amount of snowbirds and liberals seeking new areas to ruin.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Also, people are over pricing more often now due to several factors- agents, zestimates, and the unique nature of how you can have a 1m property next to a 250k property makes for more complex calculations.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Lots of flippers in my neighborhood, strip the interior and do a slap-n-dash remodel. Paint the exterior and put up a privacy fence triple the price.
In other words an $80k property that sold to "We Buy Ugly Houses" now is prices over one quarter million dollars. And sells in a couple of months.
Where is all this money common from?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lots of flippers in my neighborhood, strip the interior and do a slap-n-dash remodel. Paint the exterior and put up a privacy fence triple the price.
In other words an $80k property that sold to "We Buy Ugly Houses" now is prices over one quarter million dollars. And sells in a couple of months.
Where is all this money common from?
View Quote
I wish flippers made that much on homes, I just flipped a house on 83rd ave n, bought for 162k+ repairs 95k+ holding costs 4k+ closing costs to sell 15k=276k, I only netted 315k on the sale= 39k profit and that is split between me and my partner who financially backs the flips. And this one I had to put several hundred hours of work into it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I wish flippers made that much on homes, I just flipped a house on 83rd ave n, bought for 162k+ repairs 95k+ holding costs 4k+ closing costs to sell 15k=276k, I only netted 315k on the sale= 39k profit and that is split between me and my partner who financially backs the flips. And this one I had to put several hundred hours of work into it.
View Quote
What are you doing wrong? Two properties on 34th Ave North between 14th and 15th bought for under $100k and sold for near $300k within a couple of month of listing.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What are you doing wrong? Two properties on 34th Ave North between 14th and 15th bought for under $100k and sold for near $300k within a couple of month of listing.
View Quote
That isn't the entire picture, the one flip I have shows I paid $110k however I paid $162k. Just because it shows 100k doesn't actually mean thats all they sold for. That area is hotttt, I doubt anyone got anything for 100k unless it was a tear down..
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That isn't the entire picture, the one flip I have shows I paid $110k however I paid $162k. Just because it shows 100k doesn't actually mean thats all they sold for. That area is hotttt, I doubt anyone got anything for 100k unless it was a tear down..
View Quote
I live near Crescent Lake. I bought my house 2.5 years ago for $117k. It isn't fancy.

A few weeks ago I had an agent call me and said some New Yorkers would pay me $300k and all closing costs. Said they wanna have a park view in their front yard.

I guess they don't understand what that actually means - namely homeless people taking shits and falling asleep on the benches 24/7.

I don't see how prices can keep going up like this. I guess with carpetbaggers retiring there is always going to be demand but the local economy cannot support unfinanceable starter homes for $250k
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is where I live and have talked to the sellers and looked up the sale price on the county property tax appraiser's web page.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That is where I live and have talked to the sellers and looked up the sale price on the county property tax appraiser's web page.
View Quote
Well I need to hang around you more because I would double my income buying properties for 100k and reselling for 300k, even if I spent 100k on the rehab.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well I need to hang around you more because I would double my income buying properties for 100k and reselling for 300k, even if I spent 100k on the rehab.
View Quote
Two examples don't make a trend. At the 'T' intersection of 14th St. N and 30th Ave. N a builder tore down a dilapidated house and built a HUGE house, asking price $469,000. It is still available if you're interested.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 3:42:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Two examples don't make a trend. At the 'T' intersection of 14th St. N and 30th Ave. N a builder tore down a dilapidated house and built a HUGE house, asking price $469,000. It is still available if you're interested.
View Quote
Yes but just a few blocks away, on 28th Ave and 12th St a builder tore down a dilapidated house and built TWO houses that both sold immediately for $400k.

There's also two more that sold on 30th Ave and 11th St but I'm unsure how much those sold for. At least $325k
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 7:26:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes but just a few blocks away, on 28th Ave and 12th St a builder tore down a dilapidated house and built TWO houses that both sold immediately for $400k.

There's also two more that sold on 30th Ave and 11th St but I'm unsure how much those sold for. At least $325k
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, so everyone is talking about new construction, which means the 100k was for lot value plus the cost of demolition which is about market value. I don't do new construction, I only do rehabs right now.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
It sounds like you fixed it right with the amount spent and the hours. A lot of flippers are hacks and do shit half assed!

The housing market is flooded right now and there is a lot of shitty homes. I was looking the end of last year and people were asking top dollar for run down homes that need 100k worth of work.  We did find a nice home in Land O Lakes at a fair price which was under what it appraised for.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It sounds like you fixed it right with the amount spent and the hours. A lot of flippers are hacks and do shit half assed!

The housing market is flooded right now and there is a lot of shitty homes. I was looking the end of last year and people were asking top dollar for run down homes that need 100k worth of work.  We did find a nice home in Land O Lakes at a fair price which was under what it appraised for.
View Quote
Yeah we did it up right, replumbed, rewired, new roof, windows,hvac,insulation, bathrooms. kitchen, irrigation,sod, driveway,siding on 2nd story, 100 sheets of sheetrock,garage door and opener, all interior and exterior doors. It is like a brand new house.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I just bought a house in Seminole, we looked at a lot of flips before we found this one (it wasn't a flip).  The flips were .  Throw up some paint, cheapest carpet imaginable, some cabinets -- but leave the 1950s-era fuse box.  WTF?

Very happy to have bought in Seminole.  It's just nice here.  I lived in Gulfport for three years, it isn't all it's cracked up to be (unless you are an elderly liberal LGBT).
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've been browsing the home buying apps for properties in west Pinellas county, looking for an excuse to move back.  I've noticed a number of homes and townhomes where the prices are dropping.  I know absolutely nothing about real estate, is there something I should be cautious about?  Looking particularly in Seminole and Largo, but really anywhere across the bay from Tampa.
View Quote
Hit me up if you need specific info.  I'm a Realtor here in Pinellas/Hillsborough.  I do have an app linked to my MLS I can text to you if you want to give it a try.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#17]
My parents are relators in St Pete.

If you'd like, I can put you in touch with them. (If not, no biggie)

just PM me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top