Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2017 4:07:40 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm heading down to Key Largo this weekend for the holiday with my family that is visiting from Michigan. We're renting a boat in Key Largo and just plan on cruising around and doing some snorkeling. I was hoping to do a little fishing with my dad. I usually fish the grass flats and shoreline around Tampa/St. Pete so I'm not very knowledgeable about fishing the Atlantic. I know you can hook into anything but what should I expect to catch with the tackle that I usually use for redfish/trout/snook?  (7' spinning rod, 10lb braid, jigs/topwater plugs) What lures/bait should I pick up? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Bridges. But not from the keys.

Waiting for the Key Largo crew to show up.

Edit. Dark water is deeper than sandy looking water.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Not much of a fisherman but I'd try the patch reefs in Hawks Channels or even on the outer edge.
Yellow Tail, Mutton possibly.  Shrimp, cut sardines. Chum possibly.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Just keep what you're doing here at home.
Go small on the flats for maybe Bonefish & Permit
Hit some of the channels for Tarpon using soft shell crabs & hold on.
The fishing down there is not much different than the Bay or the flats around the coast of Hillsbourgh or Pinellas.
Good luck, be safe & post pics of them fishes!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#4]
The Strike Zone in Big Pine Key, see Larry he will get you fishing.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Fish early or late in the day.
First 2 hours of light and last 2 hours of light are good time to fish.
Its too hot even for fish in the middle of the day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top