Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2017 6:48:20 PM EDT
Heading out there tomorrow and have read some conflicting information.

BLUF: Can I OC a pistol while hiking the ONF? I have no idea how ONF works and the information I read left me more confused.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Open carry is allowed in Florida if you are en-route to or on a camping, fishing, or hunting expedition. OCNF is the same as elsewhere in Florida.

Link to Statute

Under Lawful uses; although I don't specifically see it saying open carry, that has been accepted practice as far as I know the statute states it is legal to possess for these activities, and it is illegal to conceal without a permit, so the only other option is open carry. So roll up a hand line and some hooks in your gear, or a collapsable fishing rod.  There's always a fishing hole in hiking distance.

(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;

It is legal to carry concealed with a permit, on any Florida Wildlife Management Area, and most of Ocala National Forest is one.

Personally, I prefer concealed, it doesn't disturb the hippies, or the cops, and JI like bad guys to be surprised.

Mo  info
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 4:59:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Open carry is allowed in Florida if you are en-route to or on a camping, fishing, or hunting expedition. OCNF is the same as elsewhere in Florida.

Link to Statute

Under Lawful uses; although I don't specifically see it saying open carry, that has been accepted practice as far as I know the statute states it is legal to possess for these activities, and it is illegal to conceal without a permit, so the only other option is open carry. So roll up a hand line and some hooks in your gear, or a collapsable fishing rod.  There's always a fishing hole in hiking distance.

(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;

It is legal to carry concealed with a permit, on any Florida Wildlife Management Area, and most of Ocala National Forest is one.

Personally, I prefer concealed, it doesn't disturb the hippies, or the cops, and JI like bad guys to be surprised.

Mo  info
View Quote
If you are going to use the fishing ruse... Don't forget, you will need a fishing licence.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If you are going to use the fishing ruse... Don't forget, you will need a fishing licence.
View Quote
Unless he's using a cane pole.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Unless he's using a cane pole.
View Quote
But, that loophole only applies if you are fishing in your county of residence.

If you plan on using any of the exceptions, exemptions, cavorts, carve-outs or loopholes in the Florida Statutes, you better be very knowledgeable of same.

I was not going to say anything, but you and some others are not very knowledgeable and are giving out some bad advice.

Some members here actually use the information here to guide their behavior.  Now most of us know that the information here is worth only as much as we pay for it, but others don't understand that yet.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#5]
There is also wildlife preserve areas in the ONF that are no hunt/no gun.
Examples are juniper prairie,,billies bay etc.

I don't OC when hiking out there...dont see the need.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why do you think no guns are allowed in the Preserves?

I agree with you on open carry, never felt the need, I always carry concealed.

OP wasn't clear perhaps he does not have a CCW and is looking for an alternative.

http://www.ournationalparks.us/park_issues/new_federal_law_allows_guns_in_national_parks/
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Just carry concealed and no one will be the wiser.  Open carry and you'll set yourself up,for unwanted exposure.  My suggestion but your choice.

Dan
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:14:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I ended up at Alexander Springs and hit a trail head for the Florida Trail. A green Columbia shirt hid my G20 just fine.

I read a lot of the responses here and just opt'ed to not take the chance. Ironically we didn't see anyone outside of our group for 5 hours.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Why do you think no guns are allowed in the Preserves?

I agree with you on open carry, never felt the need, I always carry concealed.

OP wasn't clear perhaps he does not have a CCW and is looking for an alternative.

http://www.ournationalparks.us/park_issues/new_federal_law_allows_guns_in_national_parks/
View Quote
I should have mentioned I do have a CCW. Physically it's more comfortable to open carry when hiking (just personal preference).
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I ended up at Alexander Springs and hit a trail head for the Florida Trail. A green Columbia shirt hid my G20 just fine.

I read a lot of the responses here and just opt'ed to not take the chance. Ironically we didn't see anyone outside of our group for 5 hours.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Five hours. You hit Clearwater or go go north past fawrles....

I trail run the ft section on both sides of 445.

Are the vice grips on the post still.....
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Five hours. You hit Clearwater or go go north past fawrles....

I trail run the ft section on both sides of 445.

Are the vice grips on the post still.....
View Quote
Bingo, we did Clearwater. Great hike, just REALLY dry. I didn't see vice grips!
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I should have mentioned I do have a CCW. Physically it's more comfortable to open carry when hiking (just personal preference).
View Quote
Simply open carry with a shirt over it.  Otherwise known as OWB concealed carry.  I usually do that or pocket carry my G43.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top