Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2017 12:56:08 PM EDT

HJR-291 and HB-673 are two bills that if reaching the Governor’s desk and the ballot would exempt Florida Law Enforcement from the three day waiting period that the state mandates on firearm purchase waiting periods. But in reality it is actually longer than that. The law says three day wait on hand guns and zero day wait on long guns. But by State Constitution; counties are allowed to amend it to five days for both and of course weekends and holidays don’t count.Florida conceal carry weapon permit holders are exempt from the waiting period but that’s because they jumped through the State’s legal hoops. They got their finger prints taken. Paid nonrefundable fees. Took State mandated classes. Etc.

Florida Law Enforcement Officials can get a FL CCW without any of that. Under State Chapter 790 of the Florida Criminal Statutes. Law Enforcement Officials are granted exemptions from many of the requirements for a CCW permit. All they have to do is pay the fees.

But instead of that, now the State wants to further give those that chose government employment as a career another exemption. Another carve out attached to their title of nobility. Which last I checked, the entire basis of our society and culture is that no man bows down to a ruler and every man is his own king. Yet here we have another case of “Haves” and “Have Nots”.

HJR-291 (passed 115-1 ) HB-673 (passed 117-0) were bipartisan too. The Republicans and Democrats can work together in the House to pass those two bills but choose to bash SB-616 (Courthouse Gun Check In) upon the rocks in the sake of passing SB-10 (Everglades Water). The bipartisan sponsors of the legislation, Rep. Don Hahnfeldt (R) and Rep. Robert Asencio (D) believed the carve out is needed and recognizes the training given to Law Enforcement Officers.

And somehow Speaker of the House Richard Corcoran (R) can find the time to get this voted on but not SB-616. (Florida Republicans killed another Pro-Gun bill in the last week of the Legislative Session.)

"This bill will help protect Floridians in every town, city, and county by making sure our tax dollars are being properly spent to ensure officers are properly equipped to fight crime and keep our communities safe,” Rep. Asencio (D) said in a statement released by the FL House Democratic Office. “It is commonsense measures like these that continue to move our state forward."

If signed into law; it would be a change to the State Constitution via the 2018 general election ballot. Ultimately voters would have a say. (Thank God)

As a Law Enforcement Officer, the special exemption goes against what I believe in. Cops can get CCW permits and skip the waiting period just like every other Floridian. In fact, cops can get a CCW much easier than John Q Public. There is already a system in place for the waiting period exemption. Further driving a wedge between the general public and law enforcement is not a good thing.
Iam against this. The Constitution and the 2nd Amendment is for all. Not just a select few due to their employment or position.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:14:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:34:10 AM EDT
[#2]
So... let me see if I understand your mentality...

You're pissing and whining and White-Knighting because lawmakers want to extend the same exemption that a person who sits through a four-hour BS class to get a CC license to active LEO's who have gone through a 750+ hour academy that spends days instructing on UoF, laws, and discretionary UoF, as well as qualifying annually and completing annual legal training on UoF and discretionary UoF?

You want to be taken seriously in your crusade to get open carry and campus carry? Then pick better hills to die on.

I suppose you've never had a free cup of coffee or meal while in uniform...?

Personally... I think anyone who possesses any firearm should be exempt... kind of like being exempt if you trade a pistol in when buying one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:36:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Personally... I think anyone who possesses any firearm should be exempt... kind of like being exempt if you trade a pistol in when buying one.
View Quote
Wouldn't the people who didn't have a firearm be the people that may need a firearm the most without a waiting period?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So... let me see if I understand your mentality...

You're pissing and whining and White-Knighting because lawmakers want to extend the same exemption that a person who sits through a four-hour BS class to get a CC license to active LEO's who have gone through a 750+ hour academy that spends days instructing on UoF, laws, and discretionary UoF, as well as qualifying annually and completing annual legal training on UoF and discretionary UoF?

You want to be taken seriously in your crusade to get open carry and campus carry? Then pick better hills to die on.

I suppose you've never had a free cup of coffee or meal while in uniform...?

View Quote
They pushed this instead of something that would benefit the majority of gun owners. That's the issue.

A free cup of coffee or a meal is something done privately. Not a fan of laws that create separate classes of people.

The Speaker of the House was able to schedule this for a vote but not SB-616? As for the academy versus a CCW course. How many go through the academy sponsored? How many decided to do the academy as a career choice? Should we grant doctors and nurses special exemptions because they decided to go through med school and nursing school instead of just the CPR class or first level EMT class? 

The division of the people via exemption in law is bullshit. Like I said. A free cup of coffee or a meal is something between the business owner and the cop. Burger King had a policy that cops, EMT, FF, and military eat at 50% off when in uniform. That's their deal. It wasn't a law.

You said that you think all gun owners should get an exemption to the waiting period. I agree with that and take it one step further. JUST GET RID OF THE DAMN THING!

We both know that it doesn't stop bad folks from doing bad things. All it does is restrict the law abiding. Exemptions for cops is how places like NY, CA, NJ, and others work. Divide and conquer. When cops are given exemptions. They won't fight as hard for everyone else. Remember the fiasco of the magazines and the SAFE Act in NY?

Did LE give a shit about the people? They said they wouldn't enforce it and we know how that turned out. 

As for my hill.... it is the bullshit that happened this year. They gutted SB-128 Burden of Proof. They blocked every pro gun bill. They killed one that actually could have reached the Governor's desk and instead pushed this at the minute knowing that this will probably not go anywhere simply so they can look pro cop. 

It is all bullshit. 
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wouldn't the people who didn't have a firearm be the people that may need a firearm the most without a waiting period?
View Quote
I don't support waiting periods...
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They pushed this instead of something that would benefit the majority of gun owners. That's the issue.

Then you should do a better job of articulation vs. saying as a Florida cop you disagree...

A free cup of coffee or a meal is something done privately. Not a fan of laws that create separate classes of people.

Any law that grants exemptions creates classes... you're inconsistent in your argument.

The Speaker of the House was able to schedule this for a vote but not SB-616? This has nothing to do with the issue. As for the academy versus a CCW course. How many go through the academy sponsored? How many decided to do the academy as a career choice? Who gives a crap, makes no difference as to the motive for attending the academy and everything to do with vetting. Should we grant doctors and nurses special exemptions because they decided to go through med school and nursing school instead of just the CPR class or first level EMT class? This is another example of your mentality... and why you are not taken serious. Damn dude... really?

The division of the people via exemption in law is bullshit. Get over it... plenty of laws have plenty of exemptions, I don't see you bitching about them.Like I said. A free cup of coffee or a meal is something between the business owner and the cop. Burger King had a policy that cops, EMT, FF, and military eat at 50% off when in uniform. That's their deal. It wasn't a law. Nice way to dodge the fact you HAVE enjoyed treatment due to being in a certain class.

You said that you think all gun owners should get an exemption to the waiting period. I agree with that and take it one step further. JUST GET RID OF THE DAMN THING! Agreed.

We both know that it doesn't stop bad folks from doing bad things. All it does is restrict the law abiding. Exemptions for cops is how places like NY, CA, NJ, and others work. Divide and conquer. When cops are given exemptions. They won't fight as hard for everyone else. Remember the fiasco of the magazines and the SAFE Act in NY? Easy solution... get a CC or become a cop.

Did LE give a shit about the people? They said they wouldn't enforce it and we know how that turned out. Not the issue in this post.

As for my hill.... it is the bullshit that happened this year. They gutted SB-128 Burden of Proof. They blocked every pro gun bill. They killed one that actually could have reached the Governor's desk and instead pushed this at the minute knowing that this will probably not go anywhere simply so they can look pro cop. Fine... focus on your open carry and quit focusing on something as meaningless as an LEO exemption.

It is all bullshit. Sure it is. 
View Quote
You are all over the map. Ignore my posts if you disagree as your comments above make it worse IMO... best to you and your fight for OC and Campus Carry.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You are all over the map. Ignore my posts if you disagree as your comments above make it worse IMO... best to you and your fight for OC and Campus Carry.
View Quote
We agree to disagree. No matter what we want better laws for the 2A.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm just glad to see the legislature has time for this bill but not one for all constituents. 
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm just glad to see the legislature has time for this bill but not one for all constituents. 
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't think we (LEO) asked for this exemption to FSS790.  I didn't but then again I've had a CCW for over 20 years and got it by using my DD-214.  I don't disagree with the way it gives the impression of a them versus us.  I have told other deputies that I've worked with who bitched about the three day wait and I've told them go get a CCW and they don't have to worry about the waiting period.  I think they gave this bonus to us for the screwing we're getting if you are in the FRS.

Dan
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't think we (LEO) asked for this exemption to FSS790.  I didn't but then again I've had a CCW for over 20 years and got it by using my DD-214.  I don't disagree with the way it gives the impression of a them versus us.  I have told other deputies that I've worked with who bitched about the three day wait and I've told them go get a CCW and they don't have to worry about the waiting period.  I think they gave this bonus to us for the screwing we're getting if you are in the FRS.

Dan
View Quote
They always rip FRS open and fuck us over one that.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:08:55 AM EDT
[#13]
FSS 790 authorizes concealed carry for primarily two groups; those that get a Concealed Weapons License from the Florida Department of Agriculture and those that get their authority to carry concealed by their employment as a state certified police officer.  Their police identification is their CWL.  The latter is only possible by holding a current certification through the Florida Department of Law Enforcement CJSTC.

A person that goes through the Department of Agriculture to obtain a CWL must only attend a short course, which is often offered at the county fairs, and fire a single round at nothing.  After a simple submission of forms and having their name run through the computer, they get a CWL valid for seven years.  The training requirement has numerous exceptions that exempt a person from attending a specific CWL course.  There are exemptions for judges, justices, military, veterans, NRA shooting courses, shooting sports, etc.  The point is there are many exceptions in the statute already.

A person that gets their CWL by virtue of being an active police officer must attend a six month academy, pass the basic law enforcement test, be hired after an interview, physical agility, polygraph, psychological, extensive background, drug screening, medical physical and then complete six months of field training and a year of probation.  Subsequently, they must qualify every two years and attend 40 hours of CJSTC mandated training every four years, which includes scenario based use of force.  Additionally, they must abide by their agency policy (yes, it still is in the law) by carrying specific weapons under specific conditions.

Over 1.3 million people get their CWL from the Department of Agriculture under FSS 790 and are exempt from any waiting period.  You are upset that a small number of people, specifically police officers, that derive their concealed carry authority from the same exact statute, FSS 790, may be included with the other 1.3 million people.  There is no significant difference between the two groups, except one has more stringent rules to obtain and maintain a CWL for a shorter period.  The only minor difference under 790 between a Department of Agriculture CWL and a police identification through certification by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement CJSTC is simply semantics with where each person filed paperwork in the same Florida state government bureaucracy.  Nothing more.

It seems logical that since both groups of people derive their authority to carry concealed from the same statute, both should have the same consideration with respect to CWL exemption from waiting periods.  I hope we can agree that the more people not subject to arbitrary waiting periods is better, although not having them at all is even better.

I’m not sure why you have a desire to exclude more people from being exempt from the waiting period, but it is somewhat counter intuitive to your representation as a gun rights advocate.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:21:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The Speaker of the House was able to schedule this for a vote but not SB-616? As for the academy versus a CCW course. How many go through the academy sponsored? How many decided to do the academy as a career choice? Should we grant doctors and nurses special exemptions because they decided to go through med school and nursing school instead of just the CPR class or first level EMT class? 

The division of the people via exemption in law is bullshit. Like I said. A free cup of coffee or a meal is something between the business owner and the cop. Burger King had a policy that cops, EMT, FF, and military eat at 50% off when in uniform. That's their deal. It wasn't a law.

You said that you think all gun owners should get an exemption to the waiting period. I agree with that and take it one step further. JUST GET RID OF THE DAMN THING!

We both know that it doesn't stop bad folks from doing bad things. All it does is restrict the law abiding. Exemptions for cops is how places like NY, CA, NJ, and others work. Divide and conquer. When cops are given exemptions. They won't fight as hard for everyone else. Remember the fiasco of the magazines and the SAFE Act in NY?

Did LE give a shit about the people? They said they wouldn't enforce it and we know how that turned out. 

As for my hill.... it is the bullshit that happened this year. They gutted SB-128 Burden of Proof. They blocked every pro gun bill. They killed one that actually could have reached the Governor's desk and instead pushed this at the minute knowing that this will probably not go anywhere simply so they can look pro cop. 

It is all bullshit. 
View Quote
What about .mil and veterans getting expedited processing of their permit applications?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:00:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What about .mil and veterans getting expedited processing of their permit applications?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is all bullshit. 
Expedited process should be across the board. But if LE will get an exemption from 3 day wait without a CCW then why not the military? 

The issue here is that the legislators saw fit to kill a pro gun bill that would benefit everyone and instead pushed a special carve out for a select few. 

Does LE have members that are extremely pro gun? Yup. Does LE have assholes that would go door to door? Yup. 

But it comes down to this. Special exemptions for a select few due to employment ain't right. Either the Constitution and Bill of Rights applies to all or no one. 
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#16]
So just who are you playing this indignation to? You already carry a weapon that can be used legally or illegally. What is your point if a peace officer/law enforcement officer can buy another firearm w/o the b.s. waiting period. Criminals don't wait 3 days or follow the law. They steal or straw man the purchase. The original law was passed in error as a Constitutional Amendment, not a state statute, therefore it has to be changed by the voters, not the legislature. The legislature is offering an opportunity to the voters to rectify the original error . Nothing has changed yet.

FL. police officers are, as are all peace officers, subjected to more microscopic examinations by agencies, policies, citizen review boards, news media denigration, federal civil and criminal investigations and local pressure to discipline them than any politician or judge will ever experience, for that matter.

Your opinion didn't change the outcome of the legislative process and your numerous posts stating your indignation didn't and won't change the fact there is no such thing as "being treated equally" in real life. Maybe your indignation is better exercised railing against the real criminals and ignorant, corrupt prosecutors and judges who do not enforce the laws mandated in statute, not an imaginary offense against your view of "fairness."
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok - so how is Mr. FFL supposed to tell what ID/badges qualify for the exemption of the three day wait?

I think that we should go back to the old way of if you have a CCW - there is no need for the background check - hell they already have your picture, finger prints and all of your info.  Why do they need to run you name thru a data base each time you buy a gun?  It is a waste of peoples time and money.

Red
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ok - so how is Mr. FFL supposed to tell what ID/badges qualify for the exemption of the three day wait?

I think that we should go back to the old way of if you have a CCW - there is no need for the background check - hell they already have your picture, finger prints and all of your info.  Why do they need to run you name thru a data base each time you buy a gun?  It is a waste of peoples time and money.

Red
View Quote
That is actually an issue in California with "Off Roster" handguns. Gov. Davis signed a new law that says State LE can only sell off roster guns to other State LE via a FFL. Problem is that the FFL has no way to verify if the buyer is LE other than issued creds. There is no database to look it up.

FL doesn't skip background because the issuing agency is not a LE agency that can perform a FCIC/NCIC Check daily.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So just who are you playing this indignation to? You already carry a weapon that can be used legally or illegally. What is your point if a peace officer/law enforcement officer can buy another firearm w/o the b.s. waiting period. Criminals don't wait 3 days or follow the law. They steal or straw man the purchase. The original law was passed in error as a Constitutional Amendment, not a state statute, therefore it has to be changed by the voters, not the legislature. The legislature is offering an opportunity to the voters to rectify the original error . Nothing has changed yet.

FL. police officers are, as are all peace officers, subjected to more microscopic examinations by agencies, policies, citizen review boards, news media denigration, federal civil and criminal investigations and local pressure to discipline them than any politician or judge will ever experience, for that matter.

Your opinion didn't change the outcome of the legislative process and your numerous posts stating your indignation didn't and won't change the fact there is no such thing as "being treated equally" in real life. Maybe your indignation is better exercised railing against the real criminals and ignorant, corrupt prosecutors and judges who do not enforce the laws mandated in statute, not an imaginary offense against your view of "fairness."
View Quote
The fact that the Speaker of the House killed a Pro Gun bill that applied to EVERYONEand already passed the Senate and instead pushed this on the last week of session knowing that there was no Companion Bill and that this was going nowhere.

Actions speak louder than words. An 'A rated and ERA endorsed Republican killed a pro gun bill that actually could have reached the governor's desk and instead pushed a bill that had no chance of reaching the governor's desk and furthermore it promoted favoritism and carve out for a select few.

Stop focusing on the trees and see the forest.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The fact that the Speaker of the House killed a Pro Gun bill that applied to EVERYONEand already passed the Senate and instead pushed this on the last week of session knowing that there was no Companion Bill and that this was going nowhere.

Actions speak louder than words. An 'A rated and ERA endorsed Republican killed a pro gun bill that actually could have reached the governor's desk and instead pushed a bill that had no chance of reaching the governor's desk and furthermore it promoted favoritism and carve out for a select few.

View Quote
Take a hint hero... most won't give a fuck about a LE exemption...
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
The courthouse bill had some problems as well.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It did and it wasn't anything great. You can check your gun in at the entrance. Not much of an expansion but talking with some folks in the Capitol. It was going to be used as a vehicle for expanded carry via amendment once hit passed the House. 
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It did and it wasn't anything great. You can check your gun in at the entrance. Not much of an expansion but talking with some folks in the Capitol. It was going to be used as a vehicle for expanded carry via amendment once hit passed the House. 
View Quote
It also challenged the authority of judges to address courthouse security via administrative order as well as being an unfunded mandate by the legislature.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I sure don't, and don't think anyone really does.

I do care that our elected officials have time for this, but not something that effects all the people that elected them. 

Gotta win those FOP endorsements back though.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I do care that our elected officials have time for this, but not something that effects all the people that elected them. 

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It seems to me that its just some politicians that want to look like they are doing something pro 2A.  Most cops that give a shit already have a CWL in addition to the CWL from being a police officer.  I really doubt there are a bunch of cops lobbying for this change.  The push, if there is any, is at the political level, not the street level.

It's a moot issue that is being described as a "carve out" for the sake of getting attention.  Attacking officers as being more equal than others is a good way to get the arfcom hierarchy of hate (I should trademark that) to rally on your side.  If we look at this as simply what it is, it doesn't draw attention.  If we turn it into some special cop favor everybody jumps on swinging at the cops.  It's pretty easy for me to see the real motive behind this false outcry of unfairness.

Again, 1.3 million people have an exemption to the waiting period as a result of having a CWL under 790.  It is the waiting period is that is at issue here.  Cops get their CWL authority from the same statute.  Why are we trying to keep them from having the same exemption as the others?  Why would a pro gun person want to impose additional restrictions on people, cops or not?

Who is not seeing the forest for the trees?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That is actually an issue in California with "Off Roster" handguns. Gov. Davis signed a new law that says State LE can only sell off roster guns to other State LE via a FFL. Problem is that the FFL has no way to verify if the buyer is LE other than issued creds. There is no database to look it up.

FL doesn't skip background because the issuing agency is not a LE agency that can perform a FCIC/NCIC Check daily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Red

The Governor of California is Jerry Brown, but that is not important.

LEO's in California have been purchasing so called off roster guns for some time.  Guess how they proved they were cops?  They showed their agency ID.

LEO's could sell an off roster gun to a non LEO via a private party transfer through an FFL.  Going through an FFL is just the norm in California.  The change is that they can only sell them to LEO's now.

The whole roster thing is ludicrous and the change really doesn't do anything except prevent non LEO's from getting off roster guns, even if it was at a high price.

The change did not suddenly make it hard for FFL's to figure out who is an LEO and who is not.  They were dong it before to identify cops for off roster purchases.

If it were a problem I'd be very surprised if California POST doesn't have a data base like FDLE ATMS that could be used to enforce the silly law.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 2:04:47 AM EDT
[#27]
I guess I'm still new here, but there's a waiting period in FL?

IF I go to Pembroke Range tomorrow to buy a handgun, I fill out the forms, they do they check etc, but I can't walk out of the store with it?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 6:50:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

IF I go to Pembroke Range tomorrow to buy a handgun, I fill out the forms, they do they check etc, but I can't walk out of the store with it?
View Quote
Correct.... in Broward it is a five business day wait unless you have  CCW. 
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, you will have to wait.

State statute is a three day minimum, but a handful of counties have a five day waiting period.  Palm Beach, Broward and Dade are five day waits.

Effectively, by making it five days, the minimum waiting period is actually seven calendar days since the count starts the day after the purchase and you pick it up following day five.  Weekends and holidays don't count.  So, a purchase on Monday can be picked up on Tuesday of the following week.

Your Thursday handgun purchase can be picked up Friday of the following week assuming there are no legal holidays this week.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Watch the good ol' boys club (state legislature) in action on TV and you will know everything you have to know about why the state legislature does what it does. Just a bunch of lawyers helping each other. None of them give two shits about us commoners.

Any members here that are part of the state legislature are welcome to chime in and correct me. Yeah, didn't think so.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Watch the good ol' boys club (state legislature) in action on TV and you will know everything you have to know about why the state legislature does what it does. Just a bunch of lawyers helping each other. None of them give two shits about us commoners.

Any members here that are part of the state legislature are welcome to chime in and correct me. Yeah, didn't think so.
View Quote
I believe that this is the sort of blatant double talk that's been sticking in many people's craws:

Florida: Bloomberg Groups Falsely Claim Credit For "Defeating" Second Amendment Bills

DATE:May 10, 2017
TO:USF & NRA Members and Friends
 USF Executive Director
 NRA Past President[/size=44]

In a celebratory email blast yesterday, NY Mayor Bloomberg's anti-gun groups, Moms Demand Action and Everytown for Gun Safety falsely took credit for "defeating" pro-gun bills in Florida. 

They said:

"After months of heated debate in Tallahassee, we're closing out the 2017 legislative session with BIG wins for gun safety in Florida:

* Open carry: DEFEATED
* Guns on campus: DEFEATED
* Guns at airports: DEFEATED
* Guns in elementary, middle, and high schools: DEFEATED"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In reality, none of those bills were defeated. No pro-gun bills were defeated by a vote of any committee or on either floor of the Legislature.  Some just didn't get heard in committees or on the Senate or House floor.  In short they just didn't make it all the way through the process.

................../snip.............

Regardless of who defeated what, we'd say it was a great session for protecting the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens.  And the "victories" claimed by Bloomberg's anti-gun groups will be short lived because bills to restore Second Amendment rights to law-abiding people will be back ... until they pass.COUNT ON IT!

So Moms Demand Action is wrong and Marion Hammer is right because: our bills "weren't defeated"...."they just didn't make it all the way through the process".
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#32]
A bill getting nuked in any part of the process = that bill being defeated.  These are simple concepts.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Yep they were defeated because a Republican controlled House, Senate, and Governor isn't favorable enough to bring Pro Gun bills up for a vote.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top