Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2017 6:17:48 PM EDT
I have a couple sections of this and it's the only grass I have that stays green all year round and requires no maintenance other than mowing.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#1]
St. Augustine ?
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
St. Augustine ?
View Quote
That was my thought, but it's very hearty and drought resistant. I'd like to figure out what it is so I can do my whole yard in it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#3]
St Augustine
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Zoysia possibly. It's similar to both centipede and St. Augustine in characteristics. A lot of the sod farms are growing it now. The leaf isn't as broad as St Augustine. You can stop by the Lowes/Home Depot garden shop, they normally have pallets of St Augustine, you can visually compare your patches to that. Typically St Augustine is a pita with chinch bugs, won't grow in the shade, needs irrigation etc. Zoysia is supposed to be the lazy mans grass needing the least care of them all.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:23:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Every one of my neighbors that tried zoysia has hated maintaining it. I love the grass (looks good, softer to walk on) but it is thirsty. I've heard insane water bills trying to keep it alive. Also, if you have nematodes in your soil zoysia will not survive.

Do a soil analysis before throwing down grass or you may have an expensive surprise before long.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I've read that zoysia will go dormant without water.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
St Augustine
View Quote
Does St. Augustine produce long runners?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've read that zoysia will go dormant without water.
View Quote
I have Zoysia. I never water it and I hardly have to do any maintenance. It has gone slightly brown in times of a heatwave and is damn near unkillable (speaking about my yard ) unless I use a kill all weed killer to keep it from spreading through some bricks.

Can still see grass I sprayed last fall and it's still not completely dead.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have Zoysia. I never water it and I hardly have to do any maintenance. It has gone slightly brown in times of a heatwave and is damn near unkillable (speaking about my yard ) unless I use a kill all weed killer to keep it from spreading through some bricks
View Quote
Does what I posted look like your grass?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Does what I posted look like your grass?
View Quote
I'll take a picture and post it in a minute. I can't tell one type of grass from another. It does look similar though. Kind of hard to tell as it has not fully greened up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Hopefully this will help out. I suck at taking pictures.  

Fully greened new growth:

Yard shot. Still brown in some areas:

Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:00:54 PM EDT
[#13]
It's St. Augustine.

Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#14]
FPNI
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like Seville St. Augustine.  It's virtually maintenance free.  The only thing you need to worry about is web worms.  Lay down a cheap bag of insecticide and Scotts "Bonus S" in the spring and fall and you will never have problems as long as you don't let it get completely dry.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
St Augustine
centipede grass does.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top