Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2017 10:40:46 AM EDT
Calling you out for a beer soon.

As some of you may remember a few posts I made a year back that I'd be moving to Florida. Well, that time is almost here. My home in Missouri is under contract and will be closing on May 9th.

I'll be moving to Charlotte County and building a home ( already have the land ) and mostly familiar with the gun laws out there. I'm conservative, love my rights, and vote accordingly.

A few questions I'd like to ask about the area.

Any preferred FFLs to use in the Port Charlotte area?

Is the printing law still in effect?  If yes, is that being worked on?

Do I need to have my home built first in order to contact congress critters to voice my opinion? Or will my temporary address at my buddy's house work while I'm waiting on the home to be built?

How are the VA hospitals out there?  There are 2 that are in similar distance from me Orlando and Miami IIRC. Is one better than the other?

Mike
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome Mike!

Feel free to go ahead and contact your new representatives. They need as much 2A supporting input as they can get. It is a constant battle to try and get our rights expanded. Open carry looks to be a dead bill again. Some half measures have been making a little better progress though. @Miami_JBT is our arfcommer point man with regards to Florida 2A legislation.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#2]
VA in Miami is a Third World Hospital. 

The FL GOP on the State Level is shit when it comes to pro gun legislation. They are not our friends as a whole. There are a few that support us but the majority don't give shit. 

If you drive through Tallahassee let me know. Where ever you get your mail, that is your legal residency.

Printing is officially not a crime.... but good luck. We have stupid shit on the books and it is all levels of fucked up 'tarded when it comes to carrying and exposure.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The FL GOP on the State Level is shit when it comes to pro gun legislation. They are not our friends as a whole. There are a few that support us but the majority don't give shit. 

If you drive through Tallahassee let me know. Where ever you get your mail, that is your legal residency.

Printing is officially not a crime.... but good luck. We have stupid shit on the books and it is all levels of fucked up 'tarded when it comes to carrying and exposure.
View Quote
I'll take a look at the Orlando VA then. Thanks for the info about mail.

Have a buddy here that goes to a house he 1/2 owns every year in Florida. He was caught printing a few years back by some bicycle cops. He was polite and the cops were cool and just gave him a heads up about it. I'll just have to research a compact of some sorts for now, as my 1911 and 5.7 do tend to print a bit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Printing depends on the Cop and the SAO. Also accidental exposure too. If a tiny part of your gun shows... BAM! Unlawful Open Carrying!

Doing.anything in Miami is traveling to the 3rd World. Sure, there is a lot to do. But the traffic, population numbers, and area just sucks unless you're rich.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Printing depends on the Cop and the SAO. Also accidental exposure too. If a tiny part of your gun shows... BAM! Unlawful Open Carrying!

Doing.anything in Miami is traveling to the 3rd World. Sure, there is a lot to do. But the traffic, population numbers, and area just sucks unless you're rich.
View Quote
My friend got questioned just a bit south of the Port Charlotte area. As for larger cities, I do my best to avoid them at all costs. One of the reasons I left New York, too many damned people.

Thank you for your help with my questions and your advice.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome Mike!

There is a VA in West Palm too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
My father was a Vet and I can honestly say, the treatment he received in the Miami VA Hospital took him off of this earth.  He had went in to remove cancer from his stomach (which they got it all in surgery) and it went downhill from there.  They didn't change his IV and I have never seen an infection like that in someone's arm before and it spread through out his body.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Welcome Mike!

There is a VA in West Palm too.
View Quote
Thanks for that info!
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My father was a Vet and I can honestly say, the treatment he received in the Miami VA Hospital took him off of this earth.  He had went in to remove cancer from his stomach (which they got it all in surgery) and it went downhill from there.  They didn't change his IV and I have never seen an infection like that in someone's arm before and it spread through out his body.
View Quote
I'm sorry for your loss. Thank you for the warning about that hospital.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn! I guess I owe you a beer or three!
How do you like it here so far? Summer ain't much different here but winter sure is a damn sight better. Ranges, well, I never knew how good we had it back in Missouri. Deer hunting is nowhere near as important but here we have 'gator and pythons along with them big old wild hogs. Trying to kill something that can kill you back definitely adds to the adrenalin rush if you ask me.
Looks like I am just north of you, less than an hour. Just tell me when and you will get that beer.
Bit of trivia, real close to you is the airport the 9/11 terrorists learned to fly at.
Glad to see you made it, welcome to crackerland!

BTW, a cracker here is not the same as in Missouri...

ETA, check in to Baypines VA hospital in St. Pete, closer than both by far. There is also a VA clinic in Sarasota.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Damn! I guess I owe you a beer or three!
How do you like it here so far? Summer ain't much different here but winter sure is a damn sight better. Ranges, well, I never knew how good we had it back in Missouri. Deer hunting is nowhere near as important but here we have 'gator and pythons along with them big old wild hogs. Trying to kill something that can kill you back definitely adds to the adrenalin rush if you ask me.
Looks like I am just north of you, less than an hour. Just tell me when and you will get that beer.
Bit of trivia, real close to you is the airport the 9/11 terrorists learned to fly at.
Glad to see you made it, welcome to crackerland!

BTW, a cracker here is not the same as in Missouri...

ETA, check in to Baypines VA hospital in St. Pete, closer than both by far. There is also a VA clinic in Sarasota.
View Quote
Not there yet, but close. My house in Missouri closes on May 9th and I'll be on the road as soon as that check is in my hand. 16 days and counting.

How are things going for you?  I guess we can both troll the Missouri forum when winter hits, while we're enjoying the nice weather.

Thanks for the heads up about Bay Pines! Much closer than any other VA.

See you in a few weeks.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#12]
There's a new VA hospital in North Ft Myers/Cape Coral, about 30 minutes south of Port Toilet.
2489 Diplomat Parkway East
Cape Coral, FL 33909
VA Location

Welcome neighbor.
Stay away from the pistol range at the Webb, unless you have plates on.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There's a new VA hospital in North Ft Myers/Cape Coral, about 30 minutes south of Port Toilet.
2489 Diplomat Parkway East
Cape Coral, FL 33909
VA Location

Welcome neighbor.
Stay away from the pistol range at the Webb, unless you have plates on.
View Quote

Thanks for the info about the new VA! The shorter the trip the better. I also replied to your PM. Thank you for that.

For ranges, there's one on the strip in town that I've used 2 times and seemed to be decent. Shooter's Paradise or something like that. Gun prices are a bit high, but the range is nice and reasonable.

First beer is on me when I get down there.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Finally made it down here. Have been busy trying to get everything scheduled. Looks like it will take a bit longer than expected to get someone to build me a home, but that's expected. Will be getting registered with the VA hospital tomorrow and the bank on Wed. So far I'm having a great time here. I think I will love it in the long run.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Welcome to Fl.

I print big time and no one seems to care or notice.

Am I doing it wrong?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#17]
VA hospital in Cape Coral looks great. Employees were very friendly and registration was a breeze compared to other VA hospitals. Plenty of parking, which never happens at a VA.

Finished up the morning by buying some sandals and completing my integration into becoming a Floridian. All I really need to do is get new plates on the truck and I won't look like a snowbird that overstayed my welcome.

Tomorrow I head off to get the paperwork going for my home loan pre approval, then off to go researching builders.

EDIT: Thanks to the 2 posters above me for the welcome.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I guess we can both troll the Missouri forum when winter hits, while we're enjoying the nice weather.
View Quote
That's OK, we'll troll you back occasionally. Eric bought an SR9 yesterday, so Scott came out and we did some night shooting. Then this afternoon Eric and I shot .22s for a while. 
Attachment Attached File

P.S. If you get a classic GaryM shirt, you can worry less about printing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey, those shirts are cool... and fit in damn good around here!
So are you here now? If so where?
Sorry it took me this long to respond but I just got back from vacation.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#20]
In port Charlotte. Been running non stop. Come to find out I would need to dump 30k into my land to make it buildable, so I'm looking at buying an already built home. People are nuts asking 190k for a home with water damage and severe structure damage.

Have looked at 20 plus homes so far and nothing that works for me so far. After I get an oil change done on the truck, I'll be looking for more homes.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
 Come to find out I would need to dump 30k into my land to make it buildable, so I'm looking at buying an already built home.
View Quote
That sucks. Do you think you can get your money back out of your land?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:26:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That sucks. Do you think you can get your money back out of your land?
View Quote
Not all if it, but I should be able to get most of it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Sorry to hear about the land ..Im on peachland blvd in pc .Building here in FL is a lot of cookie cutter houseing tracks .I'm sure with the snow birds gone its easier to get almost any thing done .Good luck will get together in the futher im working 50 plus hours a week and free time is priceless
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sorry to hear about the land ..Im on peachland blvd in pc .Building here in FL is a lot of cookie cutter houseing tracks .I'm sure with the snow birds gone its easier to get almost any thing done .Good luck will get together in the futher im working 50 plus hours a week and free time is priceless
View Quote
Peachland, I've driven on that road a few times. I was going to go with Porter or HD custom homes, before I found out about the land issues. Anyways, I put in an offer on a home and went back and forth a few times on counters, but it looks like I finally found a home that's a bit older and in pristine condition. Should be closing on July 7th if all goes well.
Drinking a 12 year old scotch currently to calm my nerves a bit. Think I had a bit too much coffee today, but I'm glad the home searching is done. Even more grateful to have a friend down here that said I could stay as long as I want, until I found a place. I tried to hand him some money for rent when I first got down here and we almost got into a fight over it. He wouldn't take a penny.
Not many people like that anymore. We worked something out, as I couldn't be a bum and stay here for free. I'm just not like that.

Think I'm finally getting used to Florida. It's been a great first month here so far. Really liking it. Have not met many people yet, but I've been in such a mad rush to do so. I can't wait until it calms down some to relax and take it easy.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like news is good .
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Housing prices are exploding around here. My house is up 30% in 3 1/2 years. They say  the market will collapse again soon but I don't believe them. Anyway, good luck finding the new homestead. Let me know when you are ready for those beers :)
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:41:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Housing prices are exploding around here. My house is up 30% in 3 1/2 years. They say  the market will collapse again soon but I don't believe them. Anyway, good luck finding the new homestead. Let me know when you are ready for those beers :)
View Quote
Will do, Gary, and thanks. Closing should be July 7th I'll finally be able to slow down some.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Closing date got delayed. Quicken loans needs a notarized piece of paper with the seller's signatures on it. Well the owners are in the UK ( UK citizens ) and the only place to get a notary is the embassy. Well, you need an appointment to get that done......

On a good note, I've been hitting estate sales to try and pick up some furnishings for the house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top