Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2017 2:12:28 PM EDT
I am looking to do some "smart" house upgrades and thought I'd throw it out here since I don't know anyone/company/contractor.  I want to do a connected home:  lights, doors, garage, alarm, temp control, sound, pool control, etc.  I am in Fernandina Beach and just want someone competent and reliable.  I am an understanding, easy customer who is realistic about times and costs.  I would like a contractor who is honest, competent and fair minded as well.  

I appreciate any suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Check with your local builders association.  They should be able to help you out.  I'm assuming you want to do this upgrade in an existing home?  If so, you can expect costs to be high if you want everything hard wired which is what I suggest.....think Wi-Fi a nd someone being able to hack your system, they in essence could control your entire home.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Definitely wired but somethings have to run wireless.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have certain manufacturers of products you would like to use?  If so, go to that manufacturers website and see if they have local retailers/installers.  If they do call a few to provide an detailed written estimate with everything you would like to do.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 2nd home in SWF (live in the North) and have done the following upgrades in the past few months:

iAqualink - Internet based pool control.  Control all pool functions from a smartphone or computer over the Internet.  $1,650 installed.

Arlo cameras - bought at Sams Club.  I get alerts and video when motion is detected.  These let me know the coming and goings of contractors, family members, pool guy, etc.  $400 install yourself.

Honeywell wifi thermostat - the thermostat can be controlled from a smartphone or computer, programmable and best of all, alerts me when preset temp or humidity levels are exceeded.  $325 installed by HVAC guy.

Overhead Door Anywhere controller - wifi garage door controller and sensor.  Control the door with smartphone or computer and get alerts when door is opened.  $200 installed by Overhead Door.

Next is the installation of a Honeywell GPS based timer to run exterior LED lights.  The timer adjusts the hours the lights are on based upon your location's need for lighting.  These are awesome timers.

I may do some sort of door locksets as well.  I have simple kwikset keypad locks at home and I'm pretty happy with them.

I don't have as much control as you seem to want, but with the exception of the iAqualink system, these mods were all pretty inexpensive.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't I have a few items which I am not married to at this point.  I have Nest thermostats, canary cameras and August locks.  I'd like to get as close to one protocol as possible either Apple  home kit, nest or google weave, z-wave.  The point is that I can control, alarm, locks, lights, garage doors, sprinkler system, pool, etc through one interface if possible.  I'd like to do shades as well.  I have a home theater and don't care if that isn't integrated.  

I'd ideally like to provide my requirements to a knowledgable person who can help enhance / fill in gaps and recommend solutions then implement.  I could do it myself but I am only home a few days / month (sucks) at this time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top